Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Dead in German School Shooting

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7936817.stm

At least 10 people have been killed in a shooting at a school in south-west Germany, police say.
    Most of the dead are thought to have been pupils at the Albertville secondary school in Winnenden, north of Stuttgart.

Unconfirmed reports say the gunman, a 17-year-old former pupil wearing black combat gear, was arrested after fleeing into the town centre.
    Police, rescue teams and fire fighters are at the school.

"We have to assume a death toll in the double-digits," a spokeswoman for the interior ministry in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg told the Reuters news agency.

"These are students," she said.
    The editor of the local paper, Frank Nipkau, told television channel N-TV that eight pupils and two adults were among the dead.

The incident is reported to have begun around 0945 (0845 GMT). About 1,000 children are thought to attend the school, in the town some 20km (12 miles) north-east of Stuttgart.

I Was only talking this morning after the incident in Alabama how you only really hear of this stuff in America. What goes through somebodys head when they do things like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Indie18 wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7936817.stm

I Was only talking this morning after the incident in Alabama how you only really hear of this stuff in America. What goes through somebodys head when they do things like this.
    It's a wonder the schools don't pick up on these things before hand. But I suppose how do you tell a normal grumpy teen from a deranged one?

Is it easy enough to get guns in Germany? I remember being fairly surprised seeing a gun shop in the middle of a shopping centre in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's a wonder the schools don't pick up on these things before hand. But I suppose how do you tell a normal grumpy teen from a deranged one?

Is it easy enough to get guns in Germany? I remember being fairly surprised seeing a gun shop in the middle of a shopping centre in Berlin.

They have a pretty elaborate system, whereby you have to do written, oral and practical exams to receive a licence. However, they're a culture much more familiar with firearms than any in the British isles. There are several shooting ranges in most towns and Germany is the home of sporting shooting in Europe.

It's a great tragedy and my sympathies are with the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Dear god, there really seems to be a huge increase in this kind of stuff in the last few years isn't there?

Really annoys me when they can't seem to find a reason for it, so blame music and computer games. Sure if that was true we'd all be out killing each other!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Madness, pure madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I use to live about 30 mins from there. I'd never imagine that, that would happen there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Most likely bullied.

Lesson of the day: Don't bully someone who has access to a gun.*

*I used to be bullied. Then I started throwing milk bottles at the bullies. They stopped bullying me after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Terry you monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

What goes through somebodys head when they do things like this.

Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All that lovely, lovely milk. Gone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What goes through somebodys head when they do things like this.

Bullets

They've shot the perp.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Bullets

They've shot the perp.

I hate the way they always get shot dead.Fcuking cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Wagon wrote: »
    Maths.

Well I have to admit, when I was in school maths made me feel homicidal too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I Was only talking this morning after the incident in Alabama how you only really hear of this stuff in America.

And Canada. And Finland. And Germany (this most recent incident is certainly not the first there). There's no place that's really immune to a mass killing, but it's so much easier to just project the problem onto America and refuse to believe that it can happen where you are. One of the mothers of a surviving kid said it all: "I thought this sort of thing only happened in America" Well, guess what. Humans are humans and suffer from the same range of emotions and derangements in the rest of the world as well as the US.

It's actually somewhat depressing for an American to go into a German gun shop because of the variety of firearms on offer, many of which are not legal in the US. You can't carry a gun around with you in Germany so the impression is that Germany is not a gun-culture country, but shooting is a popular sport. Indeed, shooting is a popular sport in most of Europe, Britain and Ireland are actually the exceptions in Europe, not the norm, and even at that, it's only a recent change. Shooting used to be a common sport in both Ireland and England within my lifetime.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Terrorists Win

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Terrorists Win

Enter gratuitous Counter-Strike reference :)

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

:( scumbag. probably a feckin freak that went out of his way not to be liked and then claims society has shunned him. go listen to rammstein you peice of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Will there come a day when these secretly armed guards like on some flights, will patrol schools/Colleges? Like kindergarden cop but real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Fully expected this from America but not from Germany.

An awful tragedy :(

Fully expected this from America but not from Germany.

I refer back to my earlier comment...

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

And Canada. And Finland. And Germany (this most recent incident is certainly not the first there). There's no place that's really immune to a mass killing, but it's so much easier to just project the problem onto America and refuse to believe that it can happen where you are. One of the mothers of a surviving kid said it all: "I thought this sort of thing only happened in America" Well, guess what. Humans are humans and suffer from the same range of emotions and derangements in the rest of the world as well as the US.

Very true. Remember the nut who slaughtered all those young kids in Dunblaine in the UK about 10 or more years ago. It just takes the right kind of fruit cake and something to push them over the edge and you have a tragedy like this.

I think America obviously has a huge population and is always going to have a higher percentage of these things happening and the copy cat effect too. Maybe with Bush out of office it might be something Obama would look into tightening up. I think Clinton tried before but came up against huge opposition from the NRA/Gun manufacturers and the right wing politicians and was it Charlton Heston too??? Anyways I think America might be a little bit more open to the idea of tighter controls now and Obama might be just the man to do it.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    All that lovely, lovely milk. Gone. :(
    They were empties.
    Don't tell the Greens.

Very true. Remember the nut who slaughtered all those young kids in Dunblaine in the UK about 10 or more years ago. It just takes the right kind of fruit cake and something to push them over the edge and you have a tragedy like this.

I think America obviously has a huge population and is always going to have a higher percentage of these things happening and the copy cat effect too. Maybe with Bush out of office it might be something Obama would look into tightening up. I think Clinton tried before but came up against huge opposition from the NRA/Gun manufacturers and the right wing politicians and was it Charlton Heston too??? Anyways I think America might be a little bit more open to the idea of tighter controls now and Obama might be just the man to do it.
    "From my cold dead hands."
    He's dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Terry wrote: »
    "From my cold dead hands."
    He's dead now.

Ya thats right. I remember on a stage holding a musket or something over his head saying that. Bloody idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭JohnGalt

This sort of thing doesn't bother me at all. I like it in fact and I find it interesting.

I think Clinton tried before but came up against huge opposition from the NRA/Gun manufacturers and the right wing politicians and was it Charlton Heston too???

Actually, he came up against huge opposition from the populace as a whole: The Democrats were royally turfed out of power largely as a result of the '94 legislation which was about six weeks before the elections.
    Maybe with Bush out of office it might be something Obama would look into tightening up
    Not a chance. See also my comments here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59374838&postcount=11

NTM

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How do people still support the widespread availabilty of guns after seeing things like this? Genuine question, and not trying to start a flame war. Do they know where he got the guns from? Cause surely there is no reason, ever, for a 17 year old to have access to purchase guns.

Do they know where he got the guns from?

It was one of his father's. Apparently he owned seventeen firearms of various types. I've got some catching up to do.
    How do people still support the widespread availabilty of guns after seeing things like this?

Like anything, they can be used, and misused. A guy in San Francisco last year went on a rampage killing one and putting another 14 in hospital. His weapon of choice, a Honda Pilot SUV. Calls to ban cars? Of course not.

January this year, a guy in Belgium went a-killing in a creche, killed two kids, an adult, and wounded an additional ten. He used a knife. Knife bans, maybe? You can't buy cutlery in the UK unless you're 18, so some people have considered it. But on a practical level, useless.

Or, of course, you can just make up your own pipe bombs out of whatever happens to be available (PVC pipe, fertiliser, nails). If someone really has a hankering to kill someone, they will.

The vast and overwhelming majority of firearms owners use them responsibly and without trouble. Just as the vast majority of farmers don't make fertiliser bombs. Then again, if the fertiliser is misused, you get Manchester or Oklahoma City. You suggest restricting the freedoms of many for the sake of those rare exceptions. Drunk-driving kills far more people in Europe than firearms do. There's certainly little 'practical' utility for alcohol down the pub, but people realise that it's people being idiots or downright disobedient of the laws that are the trouble, so there's no call to ban booze.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 81,808 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Only in Germany.
    Maybe with Bush out of office it might be something Obama would look into tightening up. I think Clinton tried before but came up against huge opposition from the NRA/Gun manufacturers and the right wing politicians and was it Charlton Heston too??? Anyways I think America might be a little bit more open to the idea of tighter controls now and Obama might be just the man to do it.

You can enforce tighter gun control but as argued above what does that do to control the audacity of the killings, really? People will just find other methods. If you're hellbent on killing someone access to a gun isn't going to stop you. My stepfathers Bassist from his cover band was murdered in the 90s by his landlord with a claw hammer after driving 45 minutes to get to the house. Killed the cat, too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Like anything, they can be used, and misused. A guy in San Francisco last year went on a rampage killing one and putting another 14 in hospital. His weapon of choice, a Honda Pilot SUV. Calls to ban cars? Of course not.

January this year, a guy in Belgium went a-killing in a creche, killed two kids, an adult, and wounded an additional ten. He used a knife. Knife bans, maybe? You can't buy cutlery in the UK unless you're 18, so some people have considered it. But on a practical level, useless.

Or, of course, you can just make up your own pipe bombs out of whatever happens to be available (PVC pipe, fertiliser, nails). If someone really has a hankering to kill someone, they will.

The vast and overwhelming majority of firearms owners use them responsibly and without trouble. Just as the vast majority of farmers don't make fertiliser bombs. Then again, if the fertiliser is misused, you get Manchester or Oklahoma City. You suggest restricting the freedoms of many for the sake of those rare exceptions. Drunk-driving kills far more people in Europe than firearms do. There's certainly little 'practical' utility for alcohol down the pub, but people realise that it's people being idiots or downright disobedient of the laws that are the trouble, so there's no call to ban booze.

NTM
    I see where you are coming from, but the difference (at least the way i've been looking at it) is that guns are pretty much designed for one thing....and thats killing. Thats it. Surely there is no need for anyone, responsible adult or not, to have 17 guns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,808 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kiith wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from, but the difference (at least the way i've been looking at it) is that guns are pretty much designed for one thing....and thats killing. Thats it. Surely there is no need for anyone, responsible adult or not, to have 17 guns?
    Someone has evidently never seen Tremors.

Advertisement