Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Christmas Eve better than Christmas Day? Is the buildup better than the main event

• 24-12-2013 9:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that year on year over the past while I've preferred Christmas Eve over the next day.

The atmosphere, the friendliness, the look of giddy anticipation on kids faces, the pints down the local if that's your thing, the returning of family from countries or counties near and far.

If the Christmas dinner was on the Eve it would be completely untouchable and this question wouldn't have to be asked. Is Christmas Eve better than Christmas Day? Is the buildup better than the main event?

Happy Christmas to all the After Hours posters, readers, Mods, debaters, those who bring the funny and others who make us think. It's the best "anything goes, within reason" forum I've found on the interweb.

May your belly be so full by 6pm tomorrow that you can't see ;)

Is Christmas Eve better than Christmas Day? 32 votes

Yes. Ho! Ho! Ho,
    0% 0 votes
    No. Bah humbug!
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Kinda like sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I like the wind up to Christmas Eve and love the wind down Christmas day...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Kinda like sex.

Yes but you cant eat as much during sex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

My family always celebrated christmas eve, staying up very late and sleeping through most of christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Normally I love the Christmas eve beers with the mates, but this year I'm in work and don't get off until 9am tomorrow morning... If I see the fat bastard I might just shoot him out of the skies this year for the craic :)

Merry Christmas mofo's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Christmas Eve is generally more magical. People have just arrived from all over, the anticipation of presents ( rather than the disappointment of reality) and not time enough yet for rows. Kids excited , not bored.

The day is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm wrapping presents under flashy lights and listening to some geezer singing do you hear what i hear on rte, nice feeling I must admit.

It's very different to the version from gremlins though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Usually yes, though can't get to the pub this year so it's much the same.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Christmas Eve used to be brilliant. I'm the youngest in the family, and back when i was 17 it was the last of a great tradition. There were no kids on the scene (yet, the brother had one on the way) and every year we'd have the dinner on the Xmas eve, around 5, about 20 of us stuffed into a kitchen. Savage dinner, followed by a couple of beers and maybe a snooze while the wimmens cleaned up (because they wanted to/we wouldn't do it properly).

Open the presents, then up to mass around 8 i think, and straight to the local after (small village, 2 pubs). We'd stay there until about 3 in the morning, back down home for a couple of whiskeys (no thanks) and some hang and brown sauce sandwiches! Nurse the hangover the following morning, followed by dinner at your significant others.

Then the brothers/sister started having kids, and Christmas was ruined...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Yes but you cant eat as much during sex

You're doing it wrong ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

They should both be cancelled. A full ordinary working week and no Christmas holiday season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I'm not a big fan of either. I'm not a Grinch, but I think once there's no kids in the house, the magic goes, and then it's just this meal with your family and your kinda-passive-aggressive parents. (But only kinda. ;))

I actually far prefer New Year's. The atmosphere's much more chill, there's no real anticipation, and the mood in town is always electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They should both be cancelled. A full ordinary working week and no Christmas holiday season.

We get it. You're the grinch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Scandinavians have their Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve.

Bunch of weirdo fucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Unless you have an army full of kids the build up on Xmas eve is much better.

Stick the tongue down someone's gob tonight, rake of pints. Come home wake my old dear up and ask where's my Cubans and why Santa left me a jumper and not a BMW. Continue the party.

Then AM creeps up on me and BOOM revenge time for my mother. Ill be cleaning, general being the dogs body. The hound will be running mental with a the fresh smells. Pretty easy when it's your average run of the mill mutt but when it's a 130lb Dogo Argentino it can get annoying pretty quick. My sis will come with her kids. Ill annoy them for a few hours. We'll play with their gagets. Get drunk. Smoke the shizzle out of my peace pipe, die maybe 10pm.

Wake up brand new on the 26th and take my 9 year old for the next few days and that's when Christmas starts for me.

Awhhh

Happy Christmas AH ye filthy animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

My family always celebrated christmas eve, staying up very late and sleeping through most of christmas day.

Obviously eating turkey, tins of roses and drinking alcohol/tea/ whatever you're having yourselves :p :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

For me, Christmas Eve is good for the buildup and the buzz. Christmas Day is serious session time and craic for me as I prefer house boozing anyway. St. Stephens day, I never liked and I spend alone. I go to the races, drink and gamble, whilst my mates get into a sissy hysteria about going to some smelly dump of a nightclub :rolleyes:

Happy xmas to you too Ivabigwun, you're a formidable and prolific thread creator on AH and I look forward to more threads in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love stephens day.. Great sport.day few bets food feet up. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I could go either way tbh :P:):D both days are just as awesome!

I love stephens day.. Great sport.day few bets food feet up. Love it.

And leftover ham and turkey sandwiches with Coleman's mustard.

Nom, nom, nom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Mint Aero wrote: »

Happy xmas to you too Ivabigwun, you're a formidable and prolific thread creator on AH and I look forward to more threads in the new year.

Well said. At least Iva entertains and keeps it light hearted with no gay/racist/transgender/betiality/anti-Welsh threads.

Three cheers for Iva and his banter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The kid have got up 27 times already and I'm ploughing through a delicious leg of lamb, some top notch beers and wines and I have no idea how this sentence will end, but yes.

Well said. At least Iva entertains and keeps it light hearted with no gay/racist/transgender/betiality/anti-Welsh threads.

Three cheers for Iva and his banter.

Oh you!

:o

Advertisement