Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Win for Grumpy Old Men

Options
  • 12-03-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,840 ✭✭✭✭

In Rochdale, Lancashire UK, the local government isn't taking any crap when it comes to noise pollution. After repeated complaints, officers seized around $4000 worth of home theater equipment from a local family. All-in-all, Paul and Amanda Cregan have been ratted out six times by neighbors since 2006. When those warnings were ignored, officials finally arrived with a warrant and took a 52-inch plasma along with their stereo equipment—leaving only the remote.
    "They took the main TV and left me with the remote. The woman laughed and said `You can keep that - it's no use now'.
    "They were even going to take away the TV from the kids' rooms and the clock radios. We pleaded with them and my wife was arrested but eventually they felt sorry for us and left them."
    If the Cregans want to get their stuff back, it will cost them about $550. On top of that, the city council warns that any future incidents could result in further seizures. So, the question is: were the actions of the city council appropriate given the situation?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4977271/Familys-52-inch-plasma-TV-seized-by-council-over-noise-complaints.html

I don't know whether to applaud or join the neo-cons on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why did you put two links to the synopsis when you could have linked to the actual story? And then link to the telegraph version?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Load of bollix, if the oldies want peace and quiet, then let them either move into an old folks home or move out into the country. You live in a town/city then you have to expect noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well if they were given warnings and it was effecting their neighbours then its the right decision. If more of this happen people might respect their neighbours, community and some laws for a change.

Now my opinion is biased due to the fact i had a neighbour who would have loud parties late into the night with d*ckheads wrecking the place afterwards. Sometimes instead of a party its a domestic with the boyfriend kicking the door in while the two of them shout abuse at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Read that article in the daily express today .If anything it sends out a warning to the large plasma tv brigade who insist the neighbours and neighbourhood in general get to hear / see the large tv . Not as if they wern't warned and they were being inconsiderate .I salute the council .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭HarryPalmer

jester77 wrote: »
    Load of bollix, if the oldies want peace and quiet, then let them either move into an old folks home or move out into the country. You live in a town/city then you have to expect noise.

It's nothing to do with being old. The ambient sound of a city is rather different to that of some moron blaring music whenever they like, or sticking the telly onto full volume. Living in a populated area does not afford you the right to annoy other people.

BTW, are you paying for the move to the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Fair play, they must've been taking the absolute piss with the volume for it to result in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

52" plasma and home cinema surround sound system.
    Council estate in britain.
    27 year old father of 12 year old.
    Wife arrested.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Overheal wrote: »
    If the Cregans want to get their stuff back, it will cost them about $550. On top of that, the city council warns that any future incidents could result in further seizures. So, the question is: were the actions of the city council appropriate given the situation?

I think the real question is why do Rochdale council look for fines to be paid in dollars??

What are them sneaky lancs bastards up to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭HarryPalmer

Daroxtar wrote: »
    52" plasma and home cinema surround sound system.
    Council estate in britain.
    27 year old father of 12 year old.
    Wife arrested.

OK.

England. They having soaking up dole money down to a fine art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Fair play to the codgers. If those telly addicts could afford to spend 4k on tv equipment and want to blast their sound out then they could at least put a bit of soundproofing to spare everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

England. They having soaking up dole money down to a fine art.
    I see what your saying but apparently the father of the house bought the tv while he was employed as a fork lift driver .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

jester77 wrote: »

I really hope I never have you as a neighbour.:(

It doesn't matter where you live, you still have to consider the effect your actions have on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They should have taken the tv equipment and stereo and smashed it in front of their house and then charged them for the clean up and disposal of the remains.

If they had a number of warnings then they obviously were over doing it

Advertisement