Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop Wireless Card not working

Options
  • 01-02-2009 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

For some reason the internal wireless card on my Dell laptop appears not to be working. The light won't come on when I switch.

Might I have deactivated in some way or is there some way I can fix it?

Please help...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Can you relate this to any recent changes you may of made,software or hardware?

have a look in device manager

Go to start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

network adapters
    click on the + sign

whats there? ,any !,X or ?

Also,wha OS you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There is a switch to the left of most Dell laptops that controls the wireless card.

See if it is switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

jackncoke wrote: »

Go to start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

network adapters
    click on the + sign

Also,wha OS you running?

Thanks OP - when I do all this there is a !
    What might I do to get it going - its windows vista by the way. Thanks again

vinnyryan wrote: »
    Thanks OP - when I do all this there is a !
    What might I do to get it going - its windows vista by the way. Thanks again

Does anyone know what to do from here? Please

Does anyone know what to do from here? Please

Right-click on the device and click on "Update driver".

That might work. Unless the device itself has failed. In that case you are probably better off buying a USB wifi adapter.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Right-click on the device and click on "Update driver".

That might work. Unless the device itself has failed. In that case you are probably better off buying a USB wifi adapter.

Unfortunately that doesn't work but thats - its a ACER NIC -559a / PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN 2 problem if anyone can advise me on how to fix this please?

Hang on....
    Dell laptop
    its a ACER NIC -559a / PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN 2

A Dell laptop with an Acer network card? Are you sure that is correct?

Also, that doesn't sound like a wireless card, it sounds like a wired card.

Hang on....

A Dell laptop with an Acer network card? Are you sure that is correct?

Also, that doesn't sound like a wireless card, it sounds like a wired card.

It's definitely a wireless card whether it's an Acer or not I'm not 100% - that has popped up as the problem. Eveything you mentioned before was bang on - its a Dell 1525 Core 2 Windows Vista if that helps? Thanks again

It's definitely a wireless card whether it's an Acer or not I'm not 100% - that has popped up as the problem.

How? What exactly are you seeing? What error message are you getting?

The best advice is to go to the Dell website and enter your service tag number (it's on a sticker underneath your laptop) and download the driver for the wireless card.

But, and it's a big but, make sure that really is the problem before you do anything.

Go to start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

network adapters
    click on the + sign

Also,wha OS you running?

When I do all this I get a ! - had you any advice from here on? Thanks Op - big help - much appreciated

• Advertisement

When I do all this I get a ! - had you any advice from here on? Thanks Op - big help - much appreciated

Are we going around in circles here? :confused:

Before I or anyone can help you, you really need to give much more information. Saying you see a ! is not a lot to go on.

Are we going around in circles here? :confused:

Before I or anyone can help you, you really need to give much more information. Saying you see a ! is not a lot to go on.

:o Ok Op, I'm sorry your right we appear to be.

The laptop is a few months old and an Inspiron 1525, Core 2, Windows Vista. A few weeks ago Windows wouldnt run and was unable to fix the problem when I used the suggested icons. I ran the recovery disk and though all appears to be in order unfortunately the light and switch on the wireless card which did previously work wont come on or work. When I went through the steps of all of that you mentioned it led me to a !. When I right click on this and click update driver software I get two options. I have clicked both and the ACER NIC -559a / PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN 2 tecomes up?

I'm not sure what questions you need answered to help me fix the problem but please just ask. Thanks again

Ok, a few pointers:

And eventually you said:
    The laptop is a few months old and an Inspiron 1525, Core 2, Windows Vista. A few weeks ago Windows wouldnt run and was unable to fix the problem when I used the suggested icons. I ran the recovery disk and though all appears to be in order unfortunately the light and switch on the wireless card which did previously work wont come on or work.

So there is a recent change. One hell of a significant change. :) A change that completely explains the problems you are seeing. Your wireless network card needs a driver to work, you do not have the driver installed by the sounds of it.

What recovery disk did you use? Did you by any change use an Acer recovery disk on an Dell laptop? If so, that explains it. If not, well then we need more information.
    I'm not sure what questions you need answered to help me fix the problem but please just ask. Thanks again
    tom dunne wrote:
    How? What exactly are you seeing? What error message are you getting?

So again, try going to the Dell website, go to support, look for the Drivers section, enter your service tag and download the drivers for your wireless card.

Advertisement