Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find other gay people my age?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I live in offaly and there arnt ny other gay lads my age around here, i know there are some belongto groups about a half hour away but im not able to go because no one in my family knows im gay, i met some people through the belongto forums but since those forums closed i cant find anyone, so is there any other ways to meet gay people my age?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Cnwlsh1 wrote: »
    I live in offaly and there arnt ny other gay lads my age around here, i know there are some belongto groups about a half hour away but im not able to go because no one in my family knows im gay, i met some people through the belongto forums but since those forums closed i cant find anyone, so is there any other ways to meet gay people my age?

Maybe it might be worth heading to Dublin or Westmeath maybe some weekend to go to a belongto event. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if you were the only person to go to the trouble of heading to the capital. Maybe you could meet people who are in neighbouring counties/towns.

Sites like okcupid or eharmony, although dating sites, could lead to just some friendships if that's all you feel like doing atm (you can usually specify what you're looking for). Grindr could be interesting but it has a rep for a reason and, unless you're willing to deal with the BS you're gonna get from it, don't use it. Personally, I don't think it's a great place if you're lonely and looking for friends. It's known (though not exclusively) for NSA but you'll find a lot of people looking for the latter, in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Okay sorry scratch that suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If we're to be all above board on this, the OP has referenced BelongTo, suggesting that Grindr and Tinder may be inappropriate as well as potentially dangerous places to be.

If you have older brothers, sisters, cousins that might be going to Dublin it could be worth grabbing a lift and heading to a meeting or drop in.

Other than that it might be worthwhile dropping some very subtle hints to some friends and consider talking to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rooroo

ninty9er wrote: »
    If we're to be all above board on this, the OP has referenced BelongTo, suggesting that Grindr and Tinder may be inappropriate as well as potentially dangerous places to be.

If you have older brothers, sisters, cousins that might be going to Dublin it could be worth grabbing a lift and heading to a meeting or drop in.

Other than that it might be worthwhile dropping some very subtle hints to some friends and consider talking to someone.

You could even bring one of your friends to the group if you still feel uneasy. Its a safe space and everyone respects each other's confidentiality. There's also an LGBT group run by Foroige in Kilkenny if that would be any use to you.

There's also Outhouse who run a café, you can ask to speak to someone there and they can link you in with any other groups nearest your area.

Advertisement