Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serious question - why the T in LGBT?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You honestly believe the average joe has a positive or neutral opinion of transsexuals?

I know you don't believe that.

Why are you trying to argue against this basic fact?
    What is the purpose apart from derailing the thread?

It's not a basic fact that the average joe believes some of the things you have said, because we don't know, because nobody asked the general public "what is the precise level of vitrol you would level against a particular minority group, if any?"
    My opinion is the average joe's opinion has yet to be made, but i don't present that as fact.

Once again I am not here to debate, and you claim not to be, so this conversation shouldn't really be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

My opinion is the average joe's opinion has yet to be made

I really don't know how to respond to this. What a statement. It's definitely time I leave this conversation.

Thanks again to everyone who provided answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I really don't know how to respond to this. What a statement.

Perhaps you could expand on your statements more about transphobia in the general populace. What makes you believe that the general populace has transphobic views? What makes you believe the general populace treats lgbt issues worse because lgb has an association with trans?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

2) The average joe has a negative opinion of transsexuals. It is simply being realistic to say this negative opinion probably damages the LGB movement, as many conservative backward types (of which there are many in Ireland) will get confused and associate this negative opinion with LGB.
    Don't you remember when you were in school, if you were friends with someone who was unpopular, this unpopularity would rub off on you too? Obviously this is wrong but it's what humans do.

Oddly enough, I did not know this until about three years ago. I have one friend who is post op and it is never something that we discussed. I was in work and one of the part timers started talking about the issue and was quite nasty about transsexuals. Words such as disgusting and weird were used, and the guy said he felt sick at the thought. I popped in that one of my friends fell into this category and that the descriptions being bandied about were simply untrue, my friend had been a friend before and after surgery, (oddly enough I can not remember him being a woman now). I know that he was technically but I can't picture it in my head, odd how the mind works. Anyway, a few days later, my friend gave me a call and said he heard I had been talking about him (another friend of ours worked with me). I said yes but not in an offensive way, I told him about the conversation and while giving an example his first name had popped out. He explained that while he knew that I was not trying to cause any trouble, that there had been attacks where people had tracked down friends of his who were transsexual and they had been beaten by a few people to near the point of death. I was not naive enough to think that punches, fights and beatings did not happen at the time and I know there are phobics for every thing you can think of. I just hadn't put it together that there would be some who would be so far gone that they would actively hunt down people in what was supposedly modern Ireland.

The only conversation I had had with my friend before this was one night I was cycling home and I had seen him with a quite young gent, while odd I did not think anything untoward, just unusual (he had being going out with the same girl for many years). When I met him in college a few days later I had to ask and say that it looked weird (that he was out with someone that looked about 14 at 4 in the morning ). He nearly fell over laughing, the young gent was in fact older than both of us but due to hormones looked like he was about to restart puberty again.

To my point though, these monsters who hunt down people, are not the average Joe, they are the fringe element of society, unfortunately they are apparently the more accepted fringe element of society, potentially more than the fringe my friend is supposedly on.

Long story short, if it damages the LGBT movement in the eyes of "conservative backwards" types as you put it, who in the LGBT movement gives a f*ck, I certainly would not care if they felt more negatively as i don't think its possible.

Advertisement