Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Science Education at Maynooth?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys!

Offers just came out, and (hopefully) I'll be getting into Science Education in Maynooth this year!
    Looking to get to know people that are hoping for the same course!
    Let me know if you are or are hoping to!

Conor. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Hey guys!

Offers just came out, and (hopefully) I'll be getting into Science Education in Maynooth this year!
    Looking to get to know people that are hoping for the same course!
    Let me know if you are or are hoping to!

Conor. :D

Delighted to hear you're doing Science Ed. I'm going into 2nd year in September so if you've ANY questions at all, PM me and I'll help you out. I'd like to think I know a fair bit about the course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TheHardyViper

Sweet! Yeah if you wouldn't mind actually, what's the work load and the hours like? :P

Just realised you said PM, apologies :L

Sweet! Yeah if you wouldn't mind actually, what's the work load and the hours like? :P
    Just realised you said PM, apologies :L

I only said PM so it wouldn't clog up the thread but it doesn't matter.

Ok, so you'll be looking at a minimum of 23 hours every week that can range up to 25 hours. You might meet people that have 10 hours but that's just the way it is. The hours is broken down as follows:

Biology (3 hours of lectures + 3 hour lab = 6 hours)
    Chemistry (3 hours of lectures + 2 hour lab + 1 hour tutorial = 6 hours)
    Physics (3 hours of lectures + 2 hour lab + 1 hour tutorial = 6 hours)
    Maths (3 hours of lectures + 1 hour tutorial = 4 hours)
    Education (1 hour tutorial every now and again)

In terms of the workload, it's pretty intensive I'm not gonna lie. You will have a maths assignment every week and a biology test every week testing concepts you learned in the previous lab session. You get 2 physics assignments per semester but they're absolutely fine and you're given 3/4 weeks to complete them. You'll have a chemistry write-up every week also which can be quite long but they're grand. You'll also have a physics write-up every week which again, are absolutely grand.

Any more questions, fire away! :)

Sounds intense :P

Last question: is it hard to pick up the Science subjects you didn't do for Leaving Cert?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Last question: is it hard to pick up the Science subjects you didn't do for Leaving Cert?

Not at all. First year subjects tend to be basic enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I picked up Chemistry, did very little and passed. On the other hand, I did Bio for the leaving and failed it in the 2nd semester due to doing nothing. It's all about work you do. Workload is heavy, organisation is key.

Remember, what you do now in college, can determine what you do for the rest of your life.

Thanks for all this guys!

Just wondering if you guys commuted or have on-campus accommodation there and if so, what's it like?

As the others have already said, absolutely not. I only had Biology coming into the course with OL maths and I passed everything. Once you dedicate some time to it and put in some effort you'll be absolutely fine!

Sounds great! Thanks a million for the help guys! I'll let you know on Monday if I'm in, say a prayer for me! :P

• Advertisement

Got in guys! See you all in September! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 skype919

I'm also starting Science Education in Sept also, see ya there!

Sweet! I know someone! :P

skype919 wrote: »
    I'm also starting Science Education in Sept also, see ya there!

Any questions about the course, fire away. I'm going into 2nd year Science Ed in Sept.

Any idea on the timetable as i'll be commuting... a 1 hour drive each day!!! :(

Well going on last years, it was pretty ok. You're going to be looking at around 23-25 hours every week. Commuting is definitely do-able, my commute was an hour each way every day so it's grand. I'd advise you to pick your lab times strategically. It's very possible to have Friday off if you play your cards right.

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Well going on last years, it was pretty ok. You're going to be looking at around 23-25 hours every week. Commuting is definitely do-able, my commute was an hour each way every day so it's grand. I'd advise you to pick your lab times strategically. It's very possible to have Friday off if you play your cards right.

Thanks for the quick reply!.... any tips on how to play my cards right? It would be great to have Friday off as i have a new baby on the way in Oct! :)

skype919 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply!.... any tips on how to play my cards right? It would be great to have Friday off as i have a new baby on the way in Oct! :)

Ok well depending on the new timetable, if you have the afternoon free on Tuesday/Wednesday make sure you schedule your physics lab for then. You're going to be assigned your biology lab for Thursday afternoon so that's taken care of. You'll have to schedule your chemistry lab yourself and my advice would be to pick Thursday morning. That will mean that Thursdays will be taken up with labs which is not ideal, but I think it's a small price to pay for having Friday off.

Thanks for that! I'm looking forward to it..... If i think of anything else i'll be back on to you, you've been most helpful !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Molojan

I started off in Science Ed in UL this year and I had to take the year out! The physics were absolutely impossible and did not start from a basic level.
    I did OL maths, biology and Chem (both higher)
    My standard of maths is quite poor, is the physics manageable in the Maynooth course? I know that no 2 colleges are the same that's why I'm asking.

• Advertisement

Molojan wrote: »
    I started off in Science Ed in UL this year and I had to take the year out! The physics were absolutely impossible and did not start from a basic level.
    I did OL maths, biology and Chem (both higher)
    My standard of maths is quite poor, is the physics manageable in the Maynooth course? I know that no 2 colleges are the same that's why I'm asking.

I'm now in second year in Science Ed in Maynooth. The only Science subject I studied at Leaving Cert was Chemistry but I passed Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths, both semesters.
    Physics started with the very basics, they eased us into the modules whether you had covered them for leaving cert or not which I really appreciated. It really seemed like they didn't want anyone failing or dropping out and I found Physics very manageable, even though I'm not keeping it on.
    Maths was really tough though, for a lot of people. I found myself spending a lot of time in the Maths Support Centre in Myanooth, along with most of my year. If you get a good tutor, then you're pretty much set so I was lucky in that regard. While it was tough, I don't know of anyone that failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

I can say that I am currently doing general science in maynooth. This year is the first time I've ever been exposed to physics and I must say I find it quite difficult. However, I am working hard at it and am progressing steadily.
    Don't be put off by the challenge. I opened the physics book a few weeks ago and it was quite horrific stuff until I just took baby steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can say that I am currently doing general science in maynooth. This year is the first time I've ever been exposed to physics and I must say I find it quite difficult. However, I am working hard at it and am progressing steadily.
    Don't be put off by the challenge. I opened the physics book a few weeks ago and it was quite horrific stuff until I just took baby steps.

Quoted for truth, although I had the advantage of doing Physics for the Leaving Cert. I did both Mathematical and Experimental Physics and survived! :cool:

A tip for physics: the exam format for EP101 (if it's still the same) allows you to completely leave out mechanics and just answer on astronomy, which is a hell of a lot easier. It saved SO MUCH of us in first year. If that exam format is not still in place disregard this post :pac:

Yeah go astronomy! Bear in mind that you can only drop one subject so if you pick two you're not sure about you have to do one in second year. For physics the difference is crazy. Probably because the astronomy is grouped with Quantum physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Molojan

Boeing777 wrote: »
    A tip for physics: the exam format for EP101 (if it's still the same) allows you to completely leave out mechanics and just answer on astronomy, which is a hell of a lot easier. It saved SO MUCH of us in first year. If that exam format is not still in place disregard this post :pac:

Astronomy wasn't even an option in the UL Science Ed course!
    Semester 1 was Mechanics / Heat / Electricity / Magnetism and semester 2 will be Waves/Light/Modern Physics. I left during Mechanics, I literally could get no handle on them whatsoever. Out of intrest are the rest of the sections I listed above easier or worse than Mechanics?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's all about understanding the various formulae in each section. Modern Physics will probably be the trickiest while Light should be the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

My old housemate was a physicist. Made for an awkward first week living together.

"Dixon, how does the microwave work?"

"Well Rob, tiny particles of radiation-" (or whatever)

"No no, I mean, like, how do I heat up pizza."

Advertisement