Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting an Academic Reference or two?

• 12-01-2015 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hello!

So I'm wishing to apply for a Masters program in the next week or so and need two academic references. I already asked my FYP supervisor who said she would do it but she doesn't reply to my e-mails and is never in her office (for FYP business or for my reference).

I am just wondering if anybody has any idea who I could ask such as academic co-ordinators or can I only ask lecturers?

Also if I do a major and a minor but I'm applying for the Masters in my major, can I still ask one of the lecturers of my minor even if it has nothing to do with their subject for a reference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

I'd suggest asking your academic advisor and/or your course director. If there are any lecturers that you get on with ask them too. It shouldn't matter who does it so long as it reflects positively on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Course director is a good idea! I've never met them though..they'll still write me one I guess?

Perfect, thank you very much! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Ya I've had to get mine to write one before. I sent in an email asking about it and he was happy to do it once I came to his office to talk first. (i had never met him either)

He just wanted to talk about how I found the course what the reference was for why I was interested etc. basically just looking to get info on me so he'd have a better idea of what he could/should say about me.

if you google your course code it should show you the director and then you can get the office number and email etc from UL website

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

Aragneer wrote: »
    Hello!

So I'm wishing to apply for a Masters program in the next week or so and need two academic references. I already asked my FYP supervisor who said she would do it but she doesn't reply to my e-mails and is never in her office (for FYP business or for my reference).

I am just wondering if anybody has any idea who I could ask such as academic co-ordinators or can I only ask lecturers?

Also if I do a major and a minor but I'm applying for the Masters in my major, can I still ask one of the lecturers of my minor even if it has nothing to do with their subject for a reference?

I needed a couple of references recently for a job application.
    It'll depend on the individual, (One asked for me to send them a copy of an up to date CV).
    They were both more than happy to help.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

Aragneer wrote: »
    Hello!

P.S. I doubt that it should matter what subject they're related to, I think it's more just to clarify that you can attain the Masters standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thank you everyone for your help, I just have to e-mail the professors now! :)

Advertisement