Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic and Computer Engineering

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

So anyway, I'm a sixth year student and I am filling out my CAO. Currently, Electronic and Computer Engineering is number one. I went to the Open Day and loved the campus and accommodation. The lecturers seemed fairly friendly too. I have an interest in this field, both hardware and software, so I think this course would suit me.

I have one worry though, the Maths involved. I'm doing honours now and my grades fluctuate between B1s and D3s. Should I just forget about doing this course and other Engineering courses and consider doing a course like Computer Systems or Electronics? I have heard from people who achieved A1s in the LC that they found the Maths involved difficult, and being that I only really get B3s/C1s, that's quite worrying. Advice re the Maths involved would be great, along with other info. on the course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Comp Eng graduate here, so my advice may be outdated. And FYI, I got a C1 in the leaving.

The maths is hard, but not impossible. You will have a dedicated maths module and will be using lots of maths for other modules for the first few years. As long as you put in some bit of work, your maths ability won't be the thing holding you back.

In 1st year, the maths modules is pretty much a slightly harder but more applied version of a combination of the LC higher and lower curriculums. If it does happen to be a struggle, there are resources available, such as the maths learning centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

I am in 3rd year of LM118, just finishing up Co-op at the moment. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

The maths is hard, but if you work at it you will do fine. There are tutorials, and UL has specific offices like the Maths Learning Centre set up to provide free help to students in certain subjects. Like free maths grinds provided by UL , usually taught by 3rd or 4th year students.

I really enjoyed the course, it has a good mix of practical and theoretical. I think that depending on the stream you choose you can drop any maths subject after the end of 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

While I'm not in the course, my boyfriend is just finishing up his co op for this course. From listening to him go on about the maths, first semester in 2nd year is the hardest maths module. There are midterms held in engineering maths through the semesters, iirc, which are multiple choice, and once you attend the lectures and tutorials you'll be fine. Like mentioned above there is also the Maths Learning Centre, and you can always get grinds if you're really struggling. And in your course you only do maths till the end of 2nd year, so you'll only have 4 modules of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Thanks for all your replies! They've been really helpful. I'll just study harder now to make up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Eng Maths 1+ 2 are pretty straightforwatd mainly calculus. Eng Maths 3 is the hardest maths module you will do, put if you practice enough with exam papers you will be fine. Eng Maths 4 is probability and statistics and is by far the easiest. I don't think Comp Eng do Eng Maths 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement