Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PE Teaching UL - A few questions.

Options
  • 29-10-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm considering going into PE teaching next year (did leaving cert in 2014) I just wanted to hear from a few people that are doing the course.
    1. Do you have to have a major interest in sport? I love going to the gym and I've an interest in athletics but I wouldn't be a fan of field games like soccer or rugby.

2. Is there a large biology element in the course? I was looking at some of the modules and it seems like there's a lot of anatomy and the likes, am I right in saying this? If anything this would be an attraction to me as I loved biology for leaving cert.

3. I'm thinking of doing geography as my elective as it was one of my favourite leaving cert subjects, anyone have any experience with geography in the course?

4. Is the course full on - I tried arts in Mary I and the low hours did my head in. My ideal course would involve lots of smaller assignments to keep me busy, as opposed to a few very large assignments as is the case with arts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

I wouldn't be advising anyone to go into it right now, as PE is not a subject under the new Junior Cert Curriculum. It is a short course, but qualified PE teachers will not be required for this, and it is not clear whether or not this will be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Subutai wrote: »
    I wouldn't be advising anyone to go into it right now, as PE is not a subject under the new Junior Cert Curriculum. It is a short course, but qualified PE teachers will not be required for this, and it is not clear whether or not this will be changed.

Of course they'll need qualified PE teachers for that, sure who else can teach the content. And PE is close (still could be 5 years away) to being an exam subject at leaving cert level so there will be a demand for PE teachers in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Molojan wrote: »
    I'm considering going into PE teaching next year (did leaving cert in 2014) I just wanted to hear from a few people that are doing the course.
    1. Do you have to have a major interest in sport? I love going to the gym and I've an interest in athletics but I wouldn't be a fan of field games like soccer or rugby.

2. Is there a large biology element in the course? I was looking at some of the modules and it seems like there's a lot of anatomy and the likes, am I right in saying this? If anything this would be an attraction to me as I loved biology for leaving cert.

3. I'm thinking of doing geography as my elective as it was one of my favourite leaving cert subjects, anyone have any experience with geography in the course?

4. Is the course full on - I tried arts in Mary I and the low hours did my head in. My ideal course would involve lots of smaller assignments to keep me busy, as opposed to a few very large assignments as is the case with arts.

1.) An interest in sports in general would be an advantage alright because you'll need to be passionate about what you will teach.

2.) There's a bit of anatomy and physiology in the course so if you're doing it for the leaving cert then you should be fine.

3.) I wouldnt recommend doing geography. People tend to pick it as the "easy option" but there's a lot of work involved in it. As PE isnt an assessed subject at the moment, it's important to have another subject which will increase your chances of securing a teaching position. Core subjects are the best to have obviously. There is talk of making geography optional for the junior cycle so it wouldnt be a great elective to pick.

4.) You're looking at about 25 hours a week in 1st year anyway, not to mention the extra work you'll need to put in for assignments, etc. It's a great course but there's a lot of detail in it so you'll have to be prepared to put in a lot effort.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

While I'm doing Science education, I have a good few friends in PE.

Your hours will increase significantly after 1st year, and you'll spend at least one hour a week out 'team teaching' in schools, along with teaching practice in 2nd and 4th year.

Your course is very credit heavy; that is, where most courses are 240 over 4 years, PE is ≥ 270 credits over the 4 years. There is some talk that PE students will also have to start back earlier for Year 2 Sem 4, and Year 3 Sem 6.

I can't give you any real insight into the PE side of the course, but anything education related I will be able to help you with as I am the Department Rep for Education. If you're looking for more information relating specifically to the course I would advise you email the course director, Brigette Moody ( brigitte.moody@ul.ie )

Also, in relation to the short course aspect; while PE is going to become a short course, many schools are given the opportunity to create their own short courses which may include PE as a core topic; such as Sports Science or Healthy Living. And don't forget that you'll always have geography as another subject to teach, not just PE

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Ross1986 wrote: »
    Of course they'll need qualified PE teachers for that, sure who else can teach the content. And PE is close (still could be 5 years away) to being an exam subject at leaving cert level so there will be a demand for PE teachers in future.

There is no requirement to have qualified teachers in a subject for short courses. That's why they can be in subjects such as computer science or Chinese, for which no teacher in a school may hold qualifications.

Individual schools may elect to have those short courses taught by qualified PE teachers, but there is no compulsion on them to do so. U would imagine many schools will continue to offer many hours of PE, but there may be a movement towards compulsory attendance at extra curricular activities while a school focuses on academic subjects inside schools hours. Given the increase in points competition this could become a popular move in the eyes of parents as it increases the perceived time spent on "getting points" without compromising sporting achievement or physical activity and brings in an added social component. It also saves money for the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

as a parent I'd say you should choose your second subject carefully. I know of PE teachers who are failing to get PE hours teaching and are solely teaching their second subject - which is not good for either the teacher or the students. You should also want to be fairly interested in a wide variety of sports if you expect to be a motivated teacher instead of the teacher who does the same PE classes every week

Advertisement