Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Digital Media and Design.

Options
  • 26-01-2015 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I am looking to switch from Computer Systems to Digital Media and Design because I find Computer Systems incredibly boring and I' useless at maths. Digital Media and Design seems really interesting to me but I was wondering how much maths is in it. Also, has anyone advice on how switching course works? Can I switch now and start the second semester in Digital Media and Design? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I can't speak for the content of DMD, but my advice on switching course would be to first contact your Student Adviser (you can find out who it is in the portal somewhere). Whether or not you'd be allowed drop straight into Semester 2 of DMD now would depend on the Course Director. I know one person who switched to DMD in 2nd semester of 2nd year, and he had to repeat a year to catch up AFAIK.

The quicker you get in touch with your adviser the better here. If you're 100% positive you want to switch to DMD, then getting it done early in the Semester is key. Couldn't hurt to ping an email to the course director of DMD to ask for more info on the content (you can find her email here.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It's not too late to apply for an internal transfer. You have until the 13th of February.
    Print out this form: http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/843684662.doc and bring it to the SAA.

Then on the 18th of February there is a student status meeting where they will review your application, if you meet the CAO requirements and it's okay with the course director then there should be no problems.
    Probably a good idea to email the course director and see if they'll meet you some time to talk.

I was in Music and Media Perf. Tech last semester and shared the same maths module as DMD, it's not hard at all. Basic leaving cert stuff really. If you're anyway good at maths you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 CaptainKern

Thanks for the help! I have applied for an internal transfer and hopefully I will get it :)

Advertisement