Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Old Boy"

• 24-04-2005 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

People, see this film if at all possible...its a masterpiece

It is without doubt the best aisian film i've ever seen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

It's a great film alright. There's been other threads on it. See it before hollywood bring out the remake.

Both Oldboy and Shaolin Soccer are available to rent in Xtravision ( and elsewhere I'm sure ) at the moment.

Avail of their 2 for 2 nights offer and enjoy a night of two great films at the opposite ends of the asian fiilm spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watching it very soon. Got it last week but aven't got around to watching it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Yes it is rather good.

I would recommend a clear head, a good sense of humour and this film...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

saw this when it came out in the cinema. im a big fan of korean films so i am glad that korean cinema is finally getting the attention and good reviews it deserves. ive got a big collection of korean dvds and films if anyone wants some recommendations. korean comedy is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Oldboy is fantastic but its not everyone i would think. If you would like to see a good korean comedy then have a look at Sex is Zero, i pissed myself looking at that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404777/
    Arahan is another cool Korean flick, mixes comedy, martial arts and fantasy manga-esque fight scenes. Well worth a watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0192657/
    The main character in Oldboy is in Shiri aswell, its a pretty enjoyable korean, tom clancy style movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306909/
    Public enemy is pretty good aswell.

Korean cinema has produced a lot of gems recently, althouh i wasnt too gone on Sex is Zero, but then I dont like the "american pie" genus of film at all, loads of korean eye-candy in it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's still a lot more amazing Korean movies, such as:

Memories Of Murder - Probably the best serial killer film I've seen since se7en, and puts recent hollywood films to total shame. Based on the true story of Korea's first serial killer.
    Save The Green Planet - Utterly barmy genre-bending mix of black comedy, sci-fi, drama/thriller that's just a staggering film to watch.
    A Tale Of Two Sisters - Definetly the most downright chilling film I've seen in ages.
    Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance - Excellent, if extremely downbeat drama from the director of Oldboy.
    Musa: The Warrior - Brilliant epic with plenty of swords, but filmed far more gritty and realistic than the Chinese films like Hero, and such.

See those.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

was the octopus eating scene not cut from the film here? :confused:

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Xcom2 wrote:
    was the octopus eating scene not cut from the film here? :confused:

X
    Nope. It's still in there, great film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yeah I must watch this again soon.

I thought it was better than Sympathy for Mr. Venegeance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

One of the most visually stunning Korean films is Natural City
    It is the most expensive Korean film ever.
    Looks fantastic and isnt a bad show either.
    It also has a superb soundtrack.
    Its a cross between Blade runner and The Matrix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Oldboy was simply masterful. Was anyone at the showing they had at the Cork film festival back a few months? The place was packed and I was seriously amused by the hesitant applause it got from the somewhat arty audience at the end :D.
    I've a region II, cdwow copy, does anyone know has anything... erm... arty been cut from this?

There's nothing cut from the Region 2 DVD of Oldboy.

UH OH!!!..

I don't think Karl Hungus is gonna like this....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/

That's right... i smell another shi*ty US remake!!

And who is apparently playing the lead in the US remake... Thomas Jane!! Didn't they learn after 'The Punisher'? He was good in 'Homeless Dad' though... oh wait..... (little in-joke there for all 'Arrested Development' fans out there) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

basquille wrote:
    And who is apparently playing the lead in the US remake... Thomas Jane!! Didn't they learn after 'The Punisher'? He was good in 'Homeless Dad' though... oh wait..... (little in-joke there for all 'Arrested Development' fans out there) :D
    "I just want my kids back!"

Yeh OldBoy was an incredible movie... I would well recommend it!

steveland? wrote:
    "I just want my kids back!"
    Ha ha... genius!! :D

Planned to watch OldBoy tonight but lost track of time. And gotta be up for work at 8am... will definantly watch it tomorrow night!

That's Oldnews, basquille. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Brilliant movie! Very strange though! That octupus eating scene was sick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yeah, was a good flick ok. wouldn't say it was the best asian movie ever.
    In fact I'm not catagorising movies as asian or european anymore, almost everyting I watch is japanese now, so anything else is like foreign..
    gaijin Oo

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

Favourite scene was the fight scene in the corridor
    just before he gets into the lift

Savage - I was grinning from ear to ear - played it back so many times.

Heres another foreign fil for yee to check out The Audition

• Advertisement
Advertisement