Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gynecomastia (another thread)

Options
  • 19-04-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi everyone... i seen some of the threads on here about gynecomastia and found it helpful.

i have had gynecomastia since about 12/13 and like most other fellas that have it its taking over my life in a bad way. Im so concious im scared to go out the door, i cant go on holidays because i cant wear just vests or just t-shirts, even with the usual (3-4 layers of clothes) i still feel very concious of it and alot of people stare when im out..

I did go to harley medical about it and they were fantastic.. very profesional and very understanding... sadly the procedure was just under 7 grand (euro) and they told me that medical card wont cover as its private clinic ( i have medical card)

I really need to get this done as im finding it more difficult to wear the clothes i like and do what i want.. i cant play sports for obvious reasons either..

has anyone had the surgery here in Ireland? should i visit my GP and get a referal for a non private surgeon? as stated before im on medical card and my funds are very low (mortgage etc) should i take out VHI insurance? and how long would i need to wait before i could get this procedure done?

any replies to this would be fantastic and very greatly appreciated as i know im not alone so thats the one thing that helps :)

Thanks in advance

ungreg555.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You will have to wait at least the standard waiting times for your VHI Plan, but maybe more since this is a pre-existing condition. The only way you'll know for sure is to speak to the VHI.

Get your GP to get you an appointment publicly with a surgeon, or maybe even specify the surgeon you would like a consultation with and take it from there. You will be waiting a while if you do it publicly but there may be ways around this if it's affecting your mental health. Speak to your GP anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Quick question, Are you overweight at all? I would go with your GP's advise but at the same time you should keep in shape, cut down on Alcohol which causes increased estrogen in some men Alcohol lowers your testosterone.

Anyway get your GP to give you an opinion, You may just have moobs and not actual breast tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

alex73 wrote: »
    Quick question, Are you overweight at all? I would go with your GP's advise but at the same time you should keep in shape, cut down on Alcohol which causes increased estrogen in some men Alcohol lowers your testosterone.

Anyway get your GP to give you an opinion, You may just have moobs and not actual breast tissue.

I hear what your saying... im 6ft3 and weigh in at 16 stone.. i have a slight belly but i have been to gym and with very strict diet and lifting i dropped to 13 stone... the breast tissue was still there.. i even concentrated on the chest area in the gym to no avail...

il be going to gp tomorrow to see what she says... il keep yous posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

best of luck unreg, have you not noticed any reduction in Moob size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

unreg555 wrote: »
    I hear what your saying... im 6ft3 and weigh in at 16 stone.. i have a slight belly but i have been to gym and with very strict diet and lifting i dropped to 13 stone... the breast tissue was still there.. i even concentrated on the chest area in the gym to no avail...

il be going to gp tomorrow to see what she says... il keep yous posted :)

But did you Doctor say you have moobs (fat) or actual breast tissue? These are 2 different things that look alike. If you just have fat then try some kettelbell classes or get a personal trainer who can help, If you have actual breast tissue (which men should not have) then you have a medical condition that needs to be treated. Honestly I would get a diagnoses 1st before going under the knife. You don't seem to be that overweight at 13 stone being 6'3 But 12 stone would be bang on normal weight.

Either way you need to exercise if you want to have surgery and have a normal weight. I honestly would a. get firm medical advise b. go to some weight, cardio classes, kettelbell, Boot camp, The instructor will be sympathetic and will be able to give you pointers. You can focus on your chest area all you like, but if you don't exercise correctly you will never gain the muscle needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement