Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Saving

Options
  • 26-05-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I am moving in to a new house which is timber framed C1 and built about 7 years ago. There is a new condensing boiler and oil is the fuel.

How long should I run the heating to heat 3 average showers in the morning and a bath for my daughter in the evening plus extra water for sink etc?
    We have a new dishwasher and washing machine, that will be used every second day.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dishwasher and washng machine use cold water from the mains so they won't influence it.
    I live in a 3 bed semi-d and our gas boiler runs at about 75% efficiency.
    My wife and I have a shower each a day in the morning and the odd one in the evening after a run.
    Our daughter has a bath twice a week.
    With that in mind, I have the boiler on for about 45mins in the morning and about 30mins at 6. Then a quick 30mins at 10 so the water isn't completely freezing first thing in the morning. So in total, 1hr 45mins a day and we have ample hot water for the sink and showers, along with a bath.

EDIT: a lot will depend on whether your hot water tank is insulated and how big it is.

Advertisement