Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance

Options
  • 18-07-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, to qualify for BTEA it says that you need to be in receipt of benefits for 9 months minimum before going back to education. Does anyone know if this means that you had to be on jobseekers benefit for 9 months in a row, or 9 months altogether?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

It would be 9 months in one go not one month here another there over a few years (for example). But it's worth applying anyway as each application is based on merit (I was told this in my local social welfare office so there is a possibility its not factual as sometimes staff get things wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coolings

time on a fas course also counts towards the months if you have done any of them so you can do 2 months on jsa or jb then 7 on fas and back to ja and it will count aslong as you are going onto a higher qualification in the same study type

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

i am also applying for BTEA, havent heard anything tho since i submitted 5 weeks ago.

bfor i even applied for any course, i went to SWO to make sure if i was eligible, and the lady asked for my PPS number, put it in her comp and said yeah no prob, just bring the latter of acceptance from the college and we'll do the rest for u. At that time, Ive been on dole 3 months. At first, she kept asking me if i had been accepted in any college, what kind of course im taking. Well, i wasnt gonna take any course if i wasnt eligible for BTEA as im not sure dole money would cover my transport alone. im only an adult dependent u see.

anyway, as she confirmed i was eligible, i then applied for a course, accepted, brought the letter to SWO, was given a form by someone who werent answering any of my questions cuz he "dont normally deal with this matter". brought it back in and havent heard anything since. I did phone once, out of curiosity, wanted to know the progress of my application, and... I was on the ph for 11 minutes, was ping-pong'ed to 4 different people, then at last, someone told me, ull hear somthing by the end of August. Fingers crossed.

so, im not sure abt the 9 months rule. Cant and wont be sure until my BTEA is actually approved.

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

i applied at the beginning of june and haven't heard anything yet. but i'm due to bring a fas letter in to them when it arrives in the post and i'll ask in person then.

hi McSween,

i went to SWO yst asking if my BTEA application is in order etc, the lady went "inside" to ask, she came back saying that all BTEA applications wont be looked at until the end of August, so theres nothing they can tell me until then. Well, I wish they told me upon receiving my application so I could stop wondering. I guess we can only wait.

Anyway, keep us posted, who knows ur SWO says different things.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

i reckon the end of august thing is correct but i haven't received an acknowledgement from them at all. they definitely got it as i hand delivered it in. waste of time ringing them really.

McSween wrote: »
    i reckon the end of august thing is correct but i haven't received an acknowledgement from them at all. they definitely got it as i hand delivered it in. waste of time ringing them really.

same, no acknowledgement despite hand delivered it. agreed, waste of time ringing. so I will just wait patiently til end of Aug now.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Waiting until the end of august? Thats a fcking joke. I am just filling out the form now and got the letter from the college today. I am hoping to have it in tomorrow or friday.

But i cant wait until the end of august for an answer. Im starting the course the second week of september. I have to find accommodation by the end of august. But i cant get anything unless if im guaranteed the BTEA. If im not, im going for a loan but i will be applying for that once i hear back, at the end of august! Which is really pushing it timewise. For peace of mind i want everything sorted for college by the end of august.

Waiting until the end of august? Thats a fcking joke. I am just filling out the form now and got the letter from the college today. I am hoping to have it in tomorrow or friday.

But i cant wait until the end of august for an answer. Im starting the course the second week of september. I have to find accommodation by the end of august. But i cant get anything unless if im guaranteed the BTEA. If im not, im going for a loan but i will be applying for that once i hear back, at the end of august! Which is really pushing it timewise. For peace of mind i want everything sorted for college by the end of august.

i know what u mean. we all start mid Sept. if they could just process it and let us know if its approved or not, and start the payment when we start college, that would be very helpful wouldnt it. put our mind at ease.

well, when u submit ur application, u can ask if its true that they wont start processing til mid/ end of August. keep us posted

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kidono

Hi Hopefully somebody can help with this querey. Its a bit tricky but!
    My father has gone back to college and is on BTEA my mother is working full-time average about 35,000K a year. They have a side flat which they are considering renting to get some more income, they have found a girl who is on rent allowance from the government who would be interested in renting it. Will my fathers BTEA be affected as a result?

Thanks a million for any help in advance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement