Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the car isn't even that clean it's just still soaking wet. I hate that 'too many extras to list' stick the vin on http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html and copy paste all the extras it had from factory....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

rizzee wrote: »

"No private numbers" annoys me for some reason.
    What if someone is calling via Skype, from abroad, from work, the number might not show then too. It's just paranoid tin foil hat crap. Might as well say "I won't answer any numbers that end in 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What if someone is calling via Skype, from abroad, from work, the number might not show then too. It's just paranoid tin foil hat crap. Might as well say "I won't answer any numbers that end in 3"

I don't answer withheld numbers. If I had my way blocking transmission of telephone numbers with calls would be illegal.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I don't answer withheld numbers. If I had my way blocking transmission of telephone numbers with calls would be illegal.

Can't always be avoided, Skype calls don't have a number and calls from abroad don't always have a number.
    Unless it's that git Baron von Raufensbergen und Donnerblitzen with his prank calls again, asking me if my Gekühlte Eischrank ist weglaufen again. Damn him to hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Can't always be avoided, Skype calls don't have a number and calls from abroad don't always have a number.
    Unless it's that git Baron von Raufensbergen und Donnerblitzen with his prank calls again, asking me if my Gekühlte Eischrank ist weglaufen again. Damn him to hell!

Rakf Hütter took an even dimmer view of telephones than I do. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

I don't really think he is that much of a dreamer. Believe it or not there are a handful of people in the country who actually like interesting cars. There is very little out there that is comparable to that. For a car like that you'd just have to bide your time and wait for the right buyer.

If it's clean and with a good history, then he should be able to get within a €1k of that. It might just take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Nice Scoby, but the milage....

jimgoose wrote: »
    Rakf Hütter took an even dimmer view of telephones than I do. :D

One of my favourite stories. Try that with a car ad. "Ring at 12:00 on the dot..."

edit:
    How did you ever survive the 70's? The old Northern Telecom 500's rotary diallers did not have a caller ID display :p
    But they could survice a lightning strike and the only thing they ever did was a quick "bing". Try that with a iPhone. And you could REALLY slam those babies, they were indestructible.

Speaking of NT 500's, here's a real dreamer. If he thi nks he'll get that money for something that goes for a fiver on Ebay:

http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/northern-telecom-500-series-retro-rotary-dial/130217

MjlhNzM5NWIyZTM1MzZjODQ4M2U4NjBjMzI5OTdkNDfCLdpvSRQIVoexQ9LxYYX_aHR0cDovL2Itc3RhdGljLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMzIvbGFyZ2UvMTMwMjE3LTEwMF8wMTc5LmpwZ3x8fHx8fDM5NngyOTJ8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fHw=.jpg

Jaysis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Speaking of NT 500's, here's a real dreamer. If he thi nks he'll get that money for something that goes for a fiver on Ebay:

http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/northern-telecom-500-series-retro-rotary-dial/130217

Jaysis!

The ad's 6 years old, I think your thesis may be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

MTBD wrote: »
    I don't really think he is that much of a dreamer. Believe it or not there are a handful of people in the country who actually like interesting cars. There is very little out there that is comparable to that. For a car like that you'd just have to bide your time and wait for the right buyer.

If it's clean and with a good history, then he should be able to get within a €1k of that. It might just take a while.

If the car had a history surely the seller would have mentioned it straight away.
    A thirsty, high tax bracket, ten year old estate car needs all the selling help it can get.
    There's no way on Earth he'll get anywhere near the amount he's asking for.
    It's been up for sale for months already, that ad is a re-list.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would love a soon roof in my car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

With the amount of cars being robbed lately at test drives, I can understand people having a degree of scepticism :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Have you not been following MCM and supergramps?

Isn't their one making like 400 odd bhp.

Awesome car and definitely worth holding out for an enthusiast sale. It's not like we have a 2005 3.0 Hyundai XG here :P

I would love a soon roof in my car

Soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Have you not been following MCM and supergramps?

Isn't their one making like 400 odd bhp.

Awesome car and definitely worth holding out for an enthusiast sale. It's not like we have a 2005 3.0 Hyundai XG here :P

Was that a twinscroll turbo? Too many episodes of gramps/supergramps - they need to do a summary!

That 3L H6 is a great engine by all accounts but doesn't suit Ireland.
    You'd get a similar age/spec/power forester XT for significantly less and save on tax. The legacy is nicer looking and should have better handling to be fair.

You'd have to do some sort of tax fiddle to justify that car in Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If the car had a history surely the seller would have mentioned it straight away.
    A thirsty, high tax bracket, ten year old estate car needs all the selling help it can get.
    There's no way on Earth he'll get anywhere near the amount he's asking for.
    It's been up for sale for months already, that ad is a re-list.
    Yea, no chance. I just sold my jap import legacy for less which is a nicer spec than this, half the tax and half the mileage.

He'll be lucky to scrape 3.5-4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Was that a twinscroll turbo? Too many episodes of gramps/supergramps - they need to do a summary!

That 3L H6 is a great engine by all accounts but doesn't suit Ireland.
    You'd get a similar age/spec/power forester XT for significantly less and save on tax. The legacy is nicer looking and should have better handling to be fair.

You'd have to do some sort of tax fiddle to justify that car in Ireland unfortunately.

Ah yeah, I completely understand the reailites of it, it's just a shame on so many levels. It's a lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ah yeah, I completely understand the reailites of it, it's just a shame on so many levels. It's a lovely car.

I'd be very happy with a legacy or an outback with that engine if it could be taxed for say €500. Turbos are great but Id like to try a decent power NA.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TestersWanted

Patww79 wrote: »
    Most sellers are a pain in the hole too. Not only do they go on with this "no private numbers, no texts , no test pilots, no time wasters" codology, they put up ads with misleading or missing information and photos taken inside, at night, in the rain, or not at all. They list the mileage as "100" instead of "100k" so their ad doesn't get filtered out of searches and they put irrelevant keywords into their DoneDeal ads so they come up when you're not looking for them. And Photoshopping half the number plate (or if they're technically inept, sellotape a bit of paper over it) - what's that about? And "too many extras to list" - why not list them up to the number that would be too many? Arrange to see one of these cars and the seller will suggest a neutral venue and turn up mob-handed. Putting up ads might be a minefield for sellers but reading through and responding to them is just as big a minefield for buyers!

That's the one really scary thing about selling these days. Most buyers are a pain in the hole, but there's a good few ropey boyos out there too that will rob it. Though sims are that freely available now that it's probably no benefit having a number.

Bearing also in mind dodgy sellers would always suggest a neutral venue that is not their home, use disposable SIM, bring a crock of a car, sellers name different than registered owner, etc...
    It screams dodgy, stolen, clocked or just a ruse to mug people and take their money.

Things like the first part are needed as nobody wants timewasters. The rest of the ad should be filled in properly, but there's too many lads love the idea of buying a car but they don't actually want to buy a car. Inane questions/statements like "I really wanted a black one" (look at the bloody pictures), "Is there any marks on it?" (No, it's been wrapped in cling film for the last 10 years), or "would you swap it for my car?" (Yes, I'm selling my car so I can buy your exact one). Most of these idiots probably have no intention of buying at all, and if you give them access to text or call you then your head will be melted.

People will do that stuff anyway, so putting stuff like that in an ad just signals the seller is a crank. An ad should just have good pics and relevant info. The rest is time wasting.

Not putting in a phone number is the best way to weed out the goons. It's no good if you're in a hurry to sell as it will take a while with email only but it definitely helps.
    I'm selling one at the moment and if someone sees it and doesn't want it then fine, but I can't be having the idiots that have no intention of buying anything but just like spinning about and have someone listen to them talking ****e. I thought long and hard about donedeal as that's where most of them live, but it's too popular not to.

No phone number definitely is a new one to me, I would rank that as unusual, but wouldn't put me off.
    I just mean when people write things like "no time wasters", they may just write "no looky loos, I'm not lonely and not looking for a chat, no test pilots window lickers or tire kickers", etc...
    Irrelevant rubbish that the time wasters will ignore and will only serve to put some serious buyers off. So its counter productive and you only get more cranks and loons ringing you. (Or emailing :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Most sellers are a pain in the hole too. Not only do they go on with this "no private numbers, no texts , no test pilots, no time wasters" codology, they put up ads with misleading or missing information and photos taken inside, at night, in the rain, or not at all. They list the mileage as "100" instead of "100k" so their ad doesn't get filtered out of searches and they put irrelevant keywords into their DoneDeal ads so they come up when you're not looking for them. And Photoshopping half the number plate (or if they're technically inept, sellotape a bit of paper over it) - what's that about? And "too many extras to list" - why not list them up to the number that would be too many? Arrange to see one of these cars and the seller will suggest a neutral venue and turn up mob-handed. Putting up ads might be a minefield for sellers but reading through and responding to them is just as big a minefield for buyers!

I'm with you on all counts. Except for the number plates. If someone wants my reg, they can come and look at it themselves and do whatever cartell thing they want right there. I've had to work my way out of being arrested for a pump and run. Not fun.. So screw em on that front.

• Advertisement

I'm with you on all counts. Except for the number plates. If someone wants my reg, they can come and look at it themselves and do whatever cartell thing they want right there. I've had to work my way out of being arrested for a pump and run. Not fun.. So screw em on that front.

They can still get your reg off your car when you drive around. To me it's an alarm bell. What's the seller trying to hide? Dodgy history, NCT, import, write off?
    I see no point, but each to their own.
    I would skip a reg hide ad in favour of one with the reg in view, because if I'm looking at several ads, I can't be arsed to ring every seller and get the reg number of them and maybe some might yell "No time wasters!" and slam down the phone.
    And if the reg is hidden and I ring the seller and he refuses to give the reg over the phone, I KNOW it's dodgy. In that case I can only advise anyone buying a car to steer well clear.

And by what some people say here, i.e. hide the reg, use disposable SIM, never meet at home, never give personal details, that just screams wheeler dealer on a tax dodge buying and selling lemons. And that is why the advise to any seller would be avoid, avoid, avoid.

If a seller is genuine and they want to sell their own car, they will just take a pic, stick it up with a phone number and relevant details and they would have no problem with people calling. I know I don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement