Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána & Transition Year Students aged 15+

Options
  • 08-09-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Before anyone asks, I will be writing to the Super in question asking for his stance on what happens, that he is aware of, i.e. if I even get a reply in the first place.

Anywhoo, for any & all members in here: What is it that you do when you have transition year students aged 15-17 in your presence on-duty?

The reason I ask is tonight I was informed of teenagers, whose parents would know the local Inspector, going out in the patrol car and even allowed on the Garda Bikes. Teens are allowed operate official Garda modes of transport with the express permission of full-timers (whether knowingly with or without the permission of the Super).

What came to my mind was this one instance when I served as a Garda Reserve:
    ~ Arriving back at station with a full-timer; not even 30sec after exiting car we heard this huge commotion; and roaring and no idea of what was happening. We through everything in our hands into the car and ran in the direction of this noise, not knowing who was involved; what was involved; how our presence would be received; or what would be used against us.
    At one point we had people running toward us; and people running away from us; and we looked at each other not knowing which way was up!
    Not long after he radioed for assistance would I heard the siren and I knew at least two were in that car.

Now! No way would they have had time to put little Johnny back safely into the station in a situation like this if the members he was with were called to assist us. No way would little Johnny have been kept from harms way. They could have to bring prisoners back to the station at any point in time; is that something little Johnny should be in the presence of, sitting in a car knowing the abuse that gets shouted at members in these instances.
    &
    Don't members have to do a course before being allowed take the bikes out to begin with?

Just looking for any & all info on what is is Transition Year students are allowed do on placement,
    as opposed to what some members allow them to do, to keep little Johnny happy, to sing their praises to possibly help their promotion through the ranks.

Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

/on a positive side, this info did help me with a productive work-out session in my work-gym after my work tonight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I did TY work exp in Terenure Garda station in 2005 - got to do nothing fun, was only allowed to do two days - one day was spent sorting out folders with no sensitive info, and the other day (which was much more fun now I think of it) was with a group of trainee Gardai who were practising fake courtroom scenarios in one of the rooms in the stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Our station has stated that no school students would be allowed to go in any of the cars. All they can do is help with non-sensitive matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

-snip-

Information regarding practices and procedures removed as per charter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just looking for any & all info on what is is Transition Year students are allowed do on placement,

You wont get a definitive answer here, as you said you have written to the Superintendent who should inform you of the transition year scheme.

Im locking this for now, if you get a answer on the above please come back to me via pm.

This is a thread where Garda practices and procedures will be discussed, which is against our charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement