Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puy du Fou - Vendée region of France

Options
  • 28-07-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

http://www.puydufou.com/en/

What's the low-down!

Worth travelling to from Le Mont St Michel direction?
    1 day or 2 needed to see it?
    Good for kids - 8 & 11?
    Anyone stay at the on-site Aire?
    Does it have shower/water/waste/electric facilities?

Seems like you need to book well in advance for Cinéscénie, what is the other night-time show like The Organs of Fire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Well worth a visit. The on site aire when I was there was just a large grassed area with basic water and grey water facilities. I don't remember any showers or electricity.

I was there twice. Your kids are a perfect age for it. It is possible to see all the main shows (5 I think) over 1 day if you get in early and are organized. I think the Cinescenie is only on weekends so we were never at it but the free show Organs of Fire was spectacular and well worth staying on for. It dosent start until after dark. Everything is obviously in French but the visuals far outweigh any commentary so I wouldn't bother again with headphones.

Also each show can take a couple of thousand people so if you see a big queue don't be worried as everyone gets in and every seat has a perfect view.

There are plenty of smaller attractions between the shows and different areas to walk around.
    2 days would let you see everything in comfort but one day adequate with an early start and a long day.

My favourite memory was when one of the kids went off to get "fast food"
    He came back with a plate of haricot beans and bacon pieces. There wasn't a chip to be seen when I was there.

I would definitely see "The Vikings" and the "Triumphs Sign" as priorities but the other 3 shows are equally impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thanks for taking the time to reply Seaswimmer!

Yes, it seems that there are 5 Grand Shows:
    Is each grand show one just once, or more times, a day?
    How long is each show?
    Is there anyplace you can see the timetable for the shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Puy du Fou Website

http://www.puydufou.com/en

Free parking for motorhomes during the day - €6 euro from 1am - 7am

If you download the Puy du Fou app it gives you a full listing of the daily program, how long shows are and what times they start. There is also a map of the park of the website and the app so you can plan your shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Benbecul97 wrote: »

How long is each show?

pricey

T650 wrote: »
    Puy du Fou Website

Thanks - seen that

• Advertisement

seanin4711 wrote: »
    pricey

Maybe, most theme parks are and its not everyday you get to see them!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    pricey

I actually thought it was good value. You get 12 hours entertainment. Each show on its own is probably worth the admission fee. €20 for a child per day or €30 for 2 days...Compared to the prices for some of Irelands "premier attractions" which might entertain you for an hour or so.

How long is each show?

Each show is on 2 or 3 times a day from memory. Parc I think opens at 10 and first show is at 10:30. They are timed in such a way that they don't all run together so you can go from one to the other. Each show is 45 minutes to 1 hour.
    If you are staying on the Aire the night before there are generally timetables floating around from people who have visited that day. Once you catch the first show at 10:30 you can then get the rest as I think the last one is at 5 or 6..

How long is each show?

Triumph's Sign : 42 mins
    The Vikings : 26 mins
    The Phantom Bird's Dance : 33 mins
    The Secret of the Lance : 29 mins
    Richelieu's Musketeers : 32 mins

Thanks for that. Seemed longer!
    Maybe its the getting in and out of the stadiums that confused me

• Advertisement

Agree with you Seaswimmer - well worth a visit !

Thanks T650 and Seaswimmer for all the info!
    Puy du Fou Website

If you download the Puy du Fou app it gives you a full listing of the daily program, how long shows are and what times they start. There is also a map of the park of the website and the app so you can plan your shows.

Great tip to download the Puy du Fou app - thanks!
    Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I actually thought it was good value. You get 12 hours entertainment. Each show on its own is probably worth the admission fee. €20 for a child per day or €30 for 2 days...Compared to the prices for some of Irelands "premier attractions" which might entertain you for an hour or so.

Yeah, a full days entertainment for the money.
    Each show is on 2 or 3 times a day from memory. Parc I think opens at 10 and first show is at 10:30. They are timed in such a way that they don't all run together so you can go from one to the other. Each show is 45 minutes to 1 hour.
    If you are staying on the Aire the night before there are generally timetables floating around from people who have visited that day. Once you catch the first show at 10:30 you can then get the rest as I think the last one is at 5 or 6..

With these show durations, and the fact that each show is on 2 or 3 times a day, with organisation it should be doable in 1 day with an early start and late finish!

I think that would be a better option (long day I know) rather than two consecutive days at the theme park and 3 days on the aire?

Be sure and come back and let us know what you thought...

Be sure and come back and let us know what you thought...

Stay tuned! ;-)

Well worth a visit. The on site aire when I was there was just a large grassed area with basic water and grey water facilities. I don't remember any showers or electricity.

I was there twice. Your kids are a perfect age for it. It is possible to see all the main shows (5 I think) over 1 day if you get in early and are organized. I think the Cinescenie is only on weekends so we were never at it but the free show Organs of Fire was spectacular and well worth staying on for. It dosent start until after dark. Everything is obviously in French but the visuals far outweigh any commentary so I wouldn't bother again with headphones.

Also each show can take a couple of thousand people so if you see a big queue don't be worried as everyone gets in and every seat has a perfect view.

There are plenty of smaller attractions between the shows and different areas to walk around.
    2 days would let you see everything in comfort but one day adequate with an early start and a long day.

My favourite memory was when one of the kids went off to get "fast food"
    He came back with a plate of haricot beans and bacon pieces. There wasn't a chip to be seen when I was there.

I would definitely see "The Vikings" and the "Triumphs Sign" as priorities but the other 3 shows are equally impressive.

Finally getting to report back!

Seaswimmer you were exactly right with this post - thanks again!

We were there in mid-August - bad time as it was very hot, long queues, and the French were on holidays. But it was still doable. Just!

Got in about 10:30am left about 11:30 pm - long long day but saw the 5 Grand Shows, the Organs of Fire night time show, and loads in between. While tiring, in my opinion it was the best way to do it - I would not want to spend a second consecutive day here in a two week holiday.

Of the 5 Grand shows, in my opinion:
    Triumph's Sign: a complete spectacle, hugely impressive
    The Vikings: a great story and spectacle and definitely in my top 3
    The Phantom Bird's Dance: very very good but when compared to the others.
    The Secret of the Lance: again a great story and spectacle and definitely in my top 3
    Richelieu's Musketeers: really really spectacular and probably my favourite.

The Organs of Fire night time show is definitely worth staying for, whats not to like with lights, water, music, performers - superb.

Two other things we stumbled on when the Grand shows were over and before the Organs of Fire night time show were the World War 1 trench and the Nights of the Round table show. Both also superb. In fact, I think the Nights of the Round table show should be promoted to a Grand Show, as good if not better than some of the current Grand shows.

Tips:
    Get there early.
    If possible, buy tickets in advance.
    Definitely bring a picnic, the food in there isn't great and pricey.
    Were comfortable walking shoes, there is alot of it!
    Plan your itinerary / route from show to show.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with the translation headsets.
    Sit back and enjoy!
    Stay at the onsite Aire (its massive and a 10 mins walk from the site), €6 for the night, you'll be so knackered you'll just collapse into bed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Been twice, fobulous as they say:D

Best amusement park type thing I was ever at, puts the likes of Disney Paris in the shade.

Advertisement