Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Sealing

Options
  • 20-07-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi has anyone used tec7 or paint on mastic to seal round the rubber of the windows
    or did you use something else ?????

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

There's only one proper way to seal a window, and that's to take it out, remove the old sealer, clean and prep both surfaces, then refit it with new sealer. I tested Tec7, hugely disappointed. I only use Wurth now , for years. Never lets me down, and I've resealed hundreds of Windows and skylights.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pongo69

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    There's only one proper way to seal a window, and that's to take it out, remove the old sealer, clean and prep both surfaces, then refit it with new sealer. I tested Tec7, hugely disappointed. I only use Wurth now , for years. Never lets me down, and I've resealed hundreds of Windows and skylights.

thanks for your help where can i get wurth is it in a tube or do i paint it on
    i am going to change the rubbers in the winter its just a quick fix i need for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Wurth are in Cork, Limerick and 3 outlets in Dublin if you're near any of those places.

+1 on tec7 I used about 4 tubes of it for various tasks found it total rubbish even with good prep not near enough solvent in it for proper bonding and even if you do get a good bond the product itself isn't very strong. Fine for porous to porous or porous to stone thats about it. I don't know how they made the demo things you see in the shops they must have been baked or used some kind of acticator / hardener on the parts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

If you can get it, Sikaflex 295UV is a top quality marine rated sealant, or their 291/292 products if you need adhesion too. White, grey and black as standard colours. Marine chandlers should have it in stock. The 292 adhesive is very strong so be careful where you use it. 291 is better for general purpose use where there are screws or some other mechanical fixing holding the window or skylight in place. If memory serves, check the 291 tube if that is what you buy as there's an internal and external type. You want the external type of course. Should be 15-20 euro a tube and fits a normal mastic gun.

If you can get it, Sikaflex 295UV is a top quality marine rated sealant, or their 291/292 products if you need adhesion too. White, grey and black as standard colours. Marine chandlers should have it in stock. The 292 adhesive is very strong so be careful where you use it. 291 is better for general purpose use where there are screws or some other mechanical fixing holding the window or skylight in place. If memory serves, check the 291 tube if that is what you buy as there's an internal and external type. You want the external type of course. Should be 15-20 euro a tube and fits a normal mastic gun.

Sika is great and you can get it in topline stores now as well as the usual chandleries but the wurth stuff is a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement

i live in waterford any outlets around here

none of the above are silicone as i was told silicone is no good it dries and cracks

pongo69 wrote: »
    i live in waterford any outlets around here

none of the above are silicone as i was told silicone is no good it dries and cracks

Cracking silicone I think not. They are either talking about acrylic caulk or talking about paint cracking when you paint over silicone or they are talking through their backside.

None of the above are silicone, silicone is the wrong thing for the job plus most of the DIY/Building ones are mildly corrosive as they release acetic acid.

We always have wurth in stock.

but where are you i can get Sikaflex 291i what is the best

I'm sitting in the kitchen eating my dinner! Lol

We're between Borrisokane, Birr and Portumna.
    Www.PatHoranMotors.com

I stopped using Sika as I had issues with it years ago, we used to use 221 and 710 as recommended by the manufacturers. Imo Wurth is better, that is not to run Down Sikafkex, just I'm happier with Wurth KnD.

• Advertisement

The 291i is a top quality marine sealant, even specified for underwater in salt water corrosive environments. 221 is a general purpose sealant, not a marine grade sealant. If 291i wasn't available, I'd pick Wurth's product over 221.

For comparison:

http://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikaflex-221-adhesive-and-sealant-300ml--p215.html

http://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikaflex-291i-marine-adhesive-and-sealant-300ml--p233.html

If 291i is available, that's the one I'd pick.

The 291i is a top quality marine sealant, even specified for underwater in salt water corrosive environments. 221 is a general purpose sealant, not a marine grade sealant. If 291i wasn't available, I'd pick Wurth's product over 221.

For comparison:

http://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikaflex-221-adhesive-and-sealant-300ml--p215.html

http://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikaflex-291i-marine-adhesive-and-sealant-300ml--p233.html

If 291i is available, that's the one I'd pick.

I'd love to see the guys who wrote that try sand 221 or 291!

I'd love to see the guys who wrote that try sand 221 or 291!

It's a pig alright! 3M scotchbrite wheel or disk does the job but good luck trying to do that neatly.

how do i the skylight do i have to take it off or can i run a bead round it like sealing a work top
    and with the window can i just pull the rubber back run a bead round and push the rubber back will that work
    i only need to do it for this year as i going to replace them i the winter

is there a number after wurth like 291i,290 or something like that

No, no number just Wurth bond and seal.
    You'd have the skylights out in no time and do it right, and once.

Advertisement