Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far away is the sun?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

foxyboxer wrote: »
    When you observe the sun (with sunglasses!). That's what it looked like 8.32 minutes ago.

Don't want to take anything away from your very good post but incase anyone was thinking about going outside and looking directly at the sun with sunglasses it is a very very bad idea. Sunglasses just aren't designed for you to look directly at the sun, you could end up doing serious damage or even going blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

So 1 astronomical unit = 131 Page Down's?

Don't want to take anything away from your very good post but incase anyone was thinking about going outside and looking directly at the sun with sunglasses it is a very very bad idea. Sunglasses just aren't designed for you to look directly at the sun, you could end up doing serious damage or even going blind.
    Yes, welders goggles would be more appropriate or a pinhole image projected onto a piece of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Indeed you did.

And you were doing so well.

I read that in a **Stephen fry talking to alan davis** voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The moon is surprisingly far I thought!

What should really wreck your head is that our moon is just the right size and distance to create a near perfect solar eclipse.
    Any smaller and we wouldn't have them, any bigger and they would be more frequent and there would be no corona around the moon when it blocks the sun.

Maybe the worldwide religions and the civilization of our human race was caused by this very fact.

• Advertisement

AH! religions have answers for questions that (in historical times) couldn't be answered!
    Now of course most of them can! ;) Religion survives on the fact that there are some questions that still can't be answered simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

TheUsual wrote: »
    What should really wreck your head is that our moon is just the right size and distance to create a near perfect solar eclipse.
    Any smaller and we wouldn't have them, any bigger and they would be more frequent and there would be no corona around the moon when it blocks the sun.
    And in about 600 million years time, there won't be any total eclipses as the moon is very slowly moving away from the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Do you even know what a shooting star is?
    Samich wrote: »
    I failed. sorry.
    Indeed you did.

And you were doing so well.
    Samich wrote: »
    I just got too into it!!! :pac:

Comedy gold. XD

It's true that many of the stars we see in the sky are long gone.

You can also look at the sun in the reflection of water. A black bucket of water being best.

Haven't tried that one, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Haven't tried that one, thanks.

I just wanted to double check that the water reflection method is safe and I can't see anything online about it.

I heard an astronomy guy saying it on the radio the last time there was a solar eclipse in the south of the UK.

The absence of this method online makes me doubt it's reliable (haven't used it myself but thought it stood to reason).

Just being careful. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

And in about 600 million years time, there won't be any total eclipses as the moon is very slowly moving away from the earth.

True but honestly for me, that just make it weirder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

so if the sun suddenly disappeared, we would still see its light for over 8 minutes....and because nothing travels faster than light(not even gravity), then theoretically we would still feel the affects of the suns gravity for 8 minutes even though it wouldnt be there
    =MIND BLOWN:eek:

Possibly neutrinos or have they found the error?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

tl;dr

Pg : Dn

Funny-Pictures-of-Cats-With-Captions-gangster-cat.jpg

Advertisement