Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

missing from Live8

• 03-07-2005 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Springsteen ?

why ?

he dodged Live Aid too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Peter Gabriel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

There's a lot of major artists who weren't threre for one reason or another: Oasis, Eminem, Bowie, Morrissey, The Manic St Preachers, Chili Peppers, Paul Weller, Foo Fighters, White Stripes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Radiohead couldn't make it for a variety of reasons :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Yeah where the **** were Oasis?

I remember watching bits of Live Aid, and thinking that if they ever did it again, Oasis would be perfect. Taking over from the likes of Queen. If they had of been there, it would of been a LOT better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

zaph wrote:

They are big supporters of this kind of thing so it was quite dissapointing not to see them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Delphi91 wrote:
    Peter Gabriel
    I saw him being interviewed in the Eden Project concert.
    Not sure if he took part though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Delphi91 wrote:
    Peter Gabriel
    Peter Gabriel has payed his dues year after year since 1982 with the WOMAD project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Kazaanova wrote:
    Yeah where the **** were Oasis?

I remember watching bits of Live Aid, and thinking that if they ever did it again, Oasis would be perfect. Taking over from the likes of Queen. If they had of been there, it would of been a LOT better.

I very much doubt Sir Bob and the organising committee even thought about Oasis.
    Dont get me wrong, I'm an Oasis fan, but they wouldnt be top of the list for the Organisers of this kinda thing.
    Travis / Stereophonics / Snow Patrol much easier to pick to give the Indie flavour.
    Am surprised at Springteen myself... I wonder if we'll get to know who turned down the opportunity and those who simply never got the call.
    I'm somehow doubt it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I wanna know, Where's Phil Collins?
    Also Pearl Jam, should have been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Oasis were asked and said no cos they had a gig that night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blisterman wrote:
    I wanna know, Where's Phil Collins?
    Hasn't he retired on health grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

So did U2...in Vienna.
    Not an excusable excuse :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Yeah nearly everyone in Philly had a gig.

I think I saw Phill Collins being interviewed and he said he was doing some concert in Scotland later in the week instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kazaanova wrote:
    Yeah nearly everyone in Philly had a gig.

I think I saw Phill Collins being interviewed and he said he was doing some concert in Scotland later in the week instead.

That could be the Midge Ure thing in Murrayfield on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

queen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So did U2...in Vienna.
    Not an excusable excuse :p

Theres only so many people taht can perform first or second and still give time to fly off to wherever they are playing. U2 went first so that slot was gone, Elton Joh took a slot, maybe they couldnt fit them in before they would have had to fly out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

wat bout queen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

Oasis were asked in some interveiw if they would have done live8 and they said they would just to piss off Robbie Williams, so I don't think Bob would have let them play anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Queen were playing a gig in Spain that day. I think there was talks for them to do a video link up or something of the sort, but never heard much about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

maybe Radiohead were kept from any of the bills because they to "Edgy". I mean all of the Hyde park lineup were like dinner party music...Dido, Keane etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Stekelly wrote:
    Theres only so many people taht can perform first or second and still give time to fly off to wherever they are playing. U2 went first so that slot was gone, Elton Joh took a slot, maybe they couldnt fit them in before they would have had to fly out?
    I think bands could have been accommodated if they really wanted to play. The original Live Aid concert started at midday. This one was at 2pm. If they really wanted other bands to play I'm sure they could have started proceedings a little earlier. Two hours would make a difference. I thought Counting Crows might have been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Zaph wrote:
    Yeah I was fúcking gutted when I didn't see them on the bill, Thoms always been largely involved with Stipey and Bono in the whole 'Drop the Debt' campaign! Pity they couldn't make it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

Shamrok wrote:
    I thought Counting Crows might have been there.

Yeah they would have been great at the US show. They're my favorite band but they just don't seem to have the recognition. At least Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 played and he was very good. That Keith Urban (?) seemed quite good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

radiohead didnt play cos jonny's bird had a kid recently and he didnt want to be away from her..... that was the official line anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Sweetness! wrote:
    Oasis were asked in some interveiw if they would have done live8 and they said they would just to piss off Robbie Williams, so I don't think Bob would have let them play anyway!

What a bunch of **** Grrrrr I despise them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

radiohead didnt play cos jonny's bird had a kid recently and he didnt want to be away from her..... that was the official line anyway
    Yeah I read this a few mins ago on GreenPlastic, said also the band was too spread out to be able to make the concert!

Advertisement