Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple Question - Why Soccer Forum

• 12-06-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Simple as the title says why is this called soccer and not Football. Always wondered this , just wanted to ask, I always believed soccer to be an american term.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Growing up in Kerry if you were talking about football, you were talking about GAA, while soccer was what we called association football.

Think it was to avoid a nasty fight between the GAA forum and the Soccer forum

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

cos football means the GAH

Edit: changed for DesF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Nope it's not an american term. It's simply an abbreviated version of Association Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

it really depends who i am talking too. if i am talkin to any friends or family from outside of dublin or if i am talking to americans then i do call it soccer but if i am just talking to my mates then its always football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I refuse to use the word Soccer, but I can understand why it is used in Ireland.

Still sounds American though:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Its football for me too, but growing up in Donegal i always had to clarify which football i was talking about.

Pfft! as if i would be talking about Gaa :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Think it was to avoid a nasty fight between the GAA forum and the Soccer forum

Why, they are the Gah forum? If they had subforums in stickfighting and bogball and called them hurling and football there might be a legitimate debate. But seeing as they don't, I agree with the original poster.

I think a campaign to change the name of this forum to the name of the sport is in order! Who is in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I asked this at the time was put back in my box.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Eirebear wrote: »
    Its football for me too, but growing up in Donegal i always had to clarify which football i was talking about.

ditto. I still get confused by 'football'. plus I used to watch NFL as a kid so that messed things up further...

i dont say football; it's 'Gaelic', 'Soccer', or 'dumb American hybrid sport' (i no longer like NFL :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

mike65 wrote: »
    I asked this at the time was put back in my box.

Mike.

were you a mod at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Probably not, it was a loooooong time back.

Mike.

Advertisement