Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aaron Ramsey snubs Utd for Arsenal

• 10-06-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Looks like this drawn out affair is over, he's settled with Arsenal. Linky

Anyone see much of this fella? Its rumoured to be 5million, good purchase or overpriced/hyped?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Could be a good purchase.

Could be overhyped.

Definitely overpriced for a kid of 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Excellent player

Looked a real live wire when he came on as a sub in FA Cup final.

Likes a bit of bite in the tackle too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Looked a real live wire when he came on as a sub in FA Cup final.

You were watching a different game to me so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Don't quite understand choosing Arsenal over United or Everton for that matter.

unless it's because Gunther is at Spurs, in which case it highlights the immaturity you would expect from a 17 year old. Still best of luck to him, but I think he's picked the worst option open to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Iago wrote: »
    Still best of luck to him, but I think he's picked the worst option open to him.

How so?

He has picked the club with the least competition for his position, and the club that consistantly gives youth a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Originally Posted by DesF

Possibly. Although all the journos who gave him 8/10 for his subs performance were likewise watching a different game to you aswell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Still best of luck to him, but I think he's picked the worst option open to him.

Don't think Cesc Fabregas would agree with you there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

lets be honest, he joined arsenal so himself and walcott could play skip rope and talk about how girls have cooties!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

5 Million isnt too bad. Like even if he doesnt make it to be a superstar, he will still be a handy player and will be sold at a nice profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Don't quite understand choosing Arsenal over United or Everton for that matter.

unless it's because Gunther is at Spurs, in which case it highlights the immaturity you would expect from a 17 year old. Still best of luck to him, but I think he's picked the worst option open to him.
    if your young and full of potential then Arsenal is the best place for you.

Pretty silly statement there from you saying its the worst option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

chdpoker wrote: »
    if your young and full of potential then Arsenal is the best place for you.

Pretty silly statement there from you saying its the worst option

Yeh id agree there, its obvious that Wenger is the best at teaching young players and if I was a player he is the 1 manager that I would want to learn from. Although if I was an Arsenal fan id be thinking that we could probably stop buying potential now and go for a few old model pro's who have a winning mentality and can step up to the plate when the going gets rough. Like a Viera/Adams character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Originally Posted by DesF

Possibly. Although all the journos who gave him 8/10 for his subs performance were likewise watching a different game to you aswell ;)

I honestly don't remember him doing anything, except for passing it to McPhail when he first came on.

I think giving him 8/10 was more to do with the hype than the performance.

I'd say he will probably make it though. Wenger isn't going to spend 5 million on a player for the sake of it.

Wales look to be producing some alright players, Bale, Gunther and Ramsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

iago wrote: »
    don't Quite Understand Choosing Arsenal Over United Or Everton For That Matter.

Unless It's Because Gunther Is At Spurs, In Which Case It Highlights The Immaturity You Would Expect From A 17 Year Old. Still Best Of Luck To Him, But I Think He's Picked The Worst Option Open To Him.

Lol!!!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    How so?

He has picked the club with the least competition for his position, and the club that consistantly gives youth a chance.

Well from my point of view, based on what I saw of him last season (which admittedly wasn't a huge amount, but enough to form an opinion) I don't think he's ready for premiership football yet. I think he has a lot of potential but I don't think he'll realise it in the next 12 months. That combined with the fact that United were going to loan him back to Cardiff for 12 months and are current league and european champtions should have been very tempting (and may well have been)

The counter argument of course is that he feels he's ready for premiership football, and having made decision to leave Cardiff he didn't want to go back on loan. That's fine as well, and as an ex-headstrung teenager I fully understand it :) In that case though I think Everton should have been his destination of choice as I think Moyes and Everton as a club would have given him more opportunity to play in the coming season, and adapt to the step up in the premierhsip.

Arsenal are a great club, but I don't think he'll get much of a run next season, outside of some league cup games. Of course he'll get brilliant experience and learnings just from training with them, and Wenger is obviously a very good manager when it comes to youth so while I think it's the worst option of the 3 available, that doesn't mean it's a very bad step for his career.

I disagree that there's no/less competition for his position at Arsenal. In the first team and depending whether he wants to play centrally or on the wings you have Fabregas, Helb, Silva, Walcott, Denilson, Song, Diaby, Rosicky and at a push Bendtnar and Traore who could play right and left wing respectively

In the reserves and under 18's they have some of the best talent in Europe coming through, players like Van Der Berg, Merida, Barazite and maybe to a lesser extent Gibbs and Lansbury.
    Not to mention that it's highly likely they'll sign Samir Nasri before the season kicks off, and as such I really think he's going to struggle to get game time next year.

In the long term it remains to be seen as to whether he'll develop quickly enough to overtake Fabregas, Rosicky, Nasri et al, or will one of the other kids coming through overtake him.

no doubt someone will pull this post up in December after he's played 10 games and created 20 goals, but I'll be happy to hold my hand up and say I was wrong if they do.

I think the differing of opinions is that you think he has to play first team football somewhere to improve. Most other people would say that training with Arsenal under the tutlage of Wenger is quite a good football education. Watch Walcott from here on(and towards the end of last year) to see what two years on the Arsenal fringes can do for a player.

You can see why he said no to United though, I doubt going straight back to Cardiff was something he was looking for in a move to a big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Obviously more into bright lights rathar than bright silverware !

Secman

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

An illuminating insight, secman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

secman wrote: »
    Obviously more into bright lights rathar than bright silverware !

Secman
    lol you know your stuff

gosplan wrote: »
    I think the differing of opinions is that you think he has to play first team football somewhere to improve. Most other people would say that training with Arsenal under the tutlage of Wenger is quite a good football education. Watch Walcott from here on(and towards the end of last year) to see what two years on the Arsenal fringes can do for a player.

You can see why he said no to United though, I doubt going straight back to Cardiff was something he was looking for in a move to a big club.

This was slightly more insightful than your LOL post :)

The question he should be asking himself then is would he develop more after a couple of years training or on the fringes at Arsenal, or playing regularly with Everton in the premiership? Would he develop more having another season of competitive football at Cardiff followed by a season at United where he might get some games?

What will training but not playing do to his international prospects over the next two years?

I'm sure he weighed it all up and came to a decision based on what he and his advisors felt was the best move for him, I just disagree with their conclusions!

playa3 wrote: »
    Don't think Cesc Fabregas would agree with you there

Whilst i think Lasanna Diarra would....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm sure he weighed it all up and came to a decision based on what he and his advisors felt was the best move for him, I just disagree with their conclusions!

Yeah I'm sure he weighed all that up, dismissed it and looked who was paying the most wages. His agent isn't 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Whilst i think Lasanna Diarra would....

Diarra wouldn't wait more than 6 months. More fool him now that Flamini is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Diarra wouldn't wait more than 6 months. More fool him now that Flamini is gone.

Not really Diarra won something last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

He was right not to choose United as he wouldn't have had a hope of getting anywhere near the first team, and they were going to loan him straight back to Cardiff anyway. Wenger has proved himself the master at bringing through young players. 5 million is a fair bit for a 17 year old but there's no hurry with him, he can be brought along slowly, a la Walcott (who looks like he may finally be ready to fulfill his potential).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather have had Arsenals season than Portsmouth!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Diarra is a little dim, just like Reyes, Djourou etc..

Any young lad with a bit sense would know Wenger is the man to bring you on.Wenger can show them the path, but they have to walk it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

allybhoy wrote: »
    Although if I was an Arsenal fan id be thinking that we could probably stop buying potential now and go for a few old model pro's who have a winning mentality and can step up to the plate when the going gets rough. Like a Viera/Adams character.

Obviously you can't be referring to the Tony Adams whom Arsenal signed as an untried but full of potential 14-year old schoolboy. So who is this old model pro Adams character? Mickey Adams maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That is almost funny. He can have a blast of a time in the UEFA cup next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Haven't see him play so can only go by media reports and as yet it is still not officail that we have signed him though it looks likely. I think it is unlikely we will see him too much next season as Arsene will not rush him though expect to see him in action in the carling cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Any young lad with a bit sense would know Wenger is the man to bring you on.Wenger can show them the path, but they have to walk it..

Yeah but he can't do it while winning trophies whereas Ferguson can. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I hope he is sh1t:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

but I think he's picked the worst option open to him.

i see your reasoning above for this but it still makes no sense. Ferguson has really struggled to make the most out of his young prospects since the last of the golden boys generation. Ronaldo is the only truly successful young buy he's made since then i can think. Wenger however has been churning them out quite regularly. as for Everton; no. there is absolutely nothing in recent years to suggest it would be better for a 17 year old to go to them over the other two.
    he's made the right move. he's only 17 afterall, he shouldn't really be playing at that age. better to be surrounded by those who know how to cultivate young potential the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

MikeySligo wrote: »
    LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather have had Arsenals season than Portsmouth!!!!!!!

Cant agree with ya there.surely it's better to win something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

another possible Milner? :confused:

gixerfixer wrote: »

Are West Brom included in this ... what about Bohs if they win the league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Overpriced but they must be seeing good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sherifu wrote: »
    Overpriced but they must be seeing good things.

he is expensive all right but then that seems to be the norm for British players, unusual for Arsene to go for a British player so he must see something good in him.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    he is expensive all right but then that seems to be the norm for British players, unusual for Arsene to go for a British player so he must see something good in him.

[size=-12]Put on Tinfoil Hat[/size]

or he wants to stop united signing him up

[size=-12]/remove Tinfoil Hat[/size]

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

If wenger is prepered to pay 5 million for a 17 year old (British one at that) you just know the kid is going to be good

If wenger is prepered to pay 5 million for a 17 year old (British one at that) you just know the kid is going to be good

yeah. because Wenger never makes mistakes. like Francis Jeffers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

So it was better to play for MK Dons, or even Drogheda United, last season rather than to play for Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Er, no.
    Newcastle might agree with you, but I doubt Arsenal or Liverpool or Chelsea would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ask any footballer and they will tell you they'd rather qualify for the Champion's League than win the FA cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sqaull20 wrote: »

that's right, Redknapp did nothing for young players, just ask Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand.......:D

that's right, Redknapp did nothing for young players, just ask Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand.......:D

you mean Joe? Anyway I always thought a large part of West Hams successes at under-age was due to having a massive catchment area? I mean i thought all those players signed on (with the exception of Lampard due to the family ties), because they were the local club?

There was a lot of hype around Ramsey but the fact he only came on with 20 minutes to go probably says he still needs a lot of development. When he did come on, I don't recall him doing anything as by that time Diarra was controlling the midfield and the Pompey back four were in complete control.

I think Arsenal is a good place for him to go, with the accusations of rape etc that came out of Man U after their Christmas bash, I'm not sure it is a good place for a young player to go to. Still, all the Man U fans will be telling us he is crap and no doubt he will get booed for having the audacity to turn them down.

you mean Joe? Anyway I always though a large part of West Hams successes at under-age was due to having a massive catchment area? I mean i thought all those players signed on (with the exception of Lampard due to the family ties), because they were the local club?

Oh yeah, Joe (Easy mistake:o)

West Ham's catchment area is no bigger than Arsenal's, Chelsea's or Charlton's, they just had a very good youth set up (Which I think Frank senior was running). Whatever it is, a lot of ex West Ham youngsters who got their break under Redknapp went on to bigger and better things so maybe Diarra isn't so daft.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don’t think anyone is saying that Portsmouth is a bad place for a player to go to develop (or if someone has, then they shouldn’t have!). Diarra just isn’t a great example to use as evidence of Arsenal being a bad place for a young player to go to. If he had any patience at all he’d be a starter at the club now, and playing CL football next season. However, he wasn’t willing to spend a few more months sitting on the bench because of Euro 2008… where funnily enough, he is sitting on the bench. Arf.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Portsmouth is a bad place for a player to go to develop (or if someone has, then they shouldn’t have!). Diarra just isn’t a great example to use as evidence of Arsenal being a bad place for a young player to go to. If he had any patience at all he’d be a starter at the club now, and playing CL football next season. However, he wasn’t willing to spend a few more months sitting on the bench because of Euro 2008… where funnily enough, he is sitting on the bench. Arf.

you're right, just pointing out that maybe Diarra isn't so stupid for leaving. Glen Johnson left Chelsea and got his England place back, OK he could have warmed the bench in the CL this year, but he is playing regular football and got a medal for his labours.

Maybe leaving one of the "Big Four" isn't the end of the world as many seem to think. Maybe Diarra wanted out and was attracted to regular first team football and a progressive club like Pompey, who knows.

Anyway, back to Aaron Ramsey.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭event

Oh yeah, Joe (Easy mistake:o)

West Ham's catchment area is no bigger than Arsenal's, Chelsea's or Charlton's, they just had a very good youth set up (Which I think Frank senior was running). Whatever it is, a lot of ex West Ham youngsters who got their break under Redknapp went on to bigger and better things so maybe Diarra isn't so daft.

man called tony carr does it, has been for the last 35 years, has brought pretty much all of their youth through

• Advertisement
Advertisement