Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland and Ireland for Euro 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

In todays daily Record that wales have expressed an interest in getting involved.
    So that would give stadia in 4 cities. But I think the 2012 will have 24 finalists, so I'm not sure that will be enough cities, or stadia.

Might be a novel enough idea for it to appeal to UEFA, with possibly a mini knockout tourney between the 3 hosts for 2 finalists slots. That would be cool.

I've been drinking today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

a extra stadium in ireland would help,outside dublin as that was prob last time,need to be spread more around ireland, like with other countrys

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I doubt very much if Scotland would ask the FAI clowns to co-host again after they f***ed it up last time around. I'd imagine if UEFA took the tournament away from Poland/Ukraine it would go to Spain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Spain or Italy are surely in a better position than us and Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

big b wrote: »
    In todays daily Record that wales have expressed an interest in getting involved.
    So that would give stadia in 4 cities. But I think the 2012 will have 24 finalists, so I'm not sure that will be enough cities, or stadia.

Might be a novel enough idea for it to appeal to UEFA, with possibly a mini knockout tourney between the 3 hosts for 2 finalists slots. That would be cool.

I've been drinking today though.

The Euro's dont go to 24 teams untill 2016 as far as i know?

I think that was Smith's reason for expresing the interest again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Croke Park doesn't have a high star rating because it was never designed with getting UEFAs approval in mind.
    Croke Park will not obtain the requisite criteria from FIFA to host games in a major tournament. Its not even all seater stadium FFS.

Not quite true lads. Before soccer internationals were played in Croke Park, UEFA sent a delegation to inspect it. They pre-approved Croker as a 5-star stadium, contingent on the hill being seated of course (which it has been for internationals already). This means it will be designated as 5-star should Croke Park ever be required (or agreed upon) to host Euro Championships, Champions League finals or the like. Of course that may never happen but the stadium meets all the criteria if needed, in fact the UEFA team were said to be very impressed with the place.

As for Ireland being involved in any bid for a euro championships it aint gonna happen. Jesus at the moment our national team doesn't even have a stadium, so if the papers are writing this kind of stuff it's just more proof that they'll write anything to grab a headline. It's laughable nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Link please Aidan?

There is no way a stadium with terracing gets 5 stars. None.

There are a number of reasons CP won't get 5 stars. 4 stars is a discussion we could have, but 5? None. Thats more than Parkhead, LR when done and all the club stadia in London for example. No chance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Eirebear wrote: »
    The Euro's dont go to 24 teams untill 2016 as far as i know?

I think that was Smith's reason for expresing the interest again

from yesterdays record:
    "Smith told Record Sport: "When Michel Platini was at the IFAB meeting at Gleneagles recently I asked him if the number of teams at the European Championships would be increased in 2012 and he said yes.

It's 16 teams this summer but they are looking at it going up to 20 and then maybe 24 in the future. "I told him that would rule out smaller countries such as ourselves of ever hosting a tournament and he agreed."

Not exactly a clear answer, right enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Link please Aidan?

There are a number of reasons CP won't get 5 stars. 4 stars is a discussion we could have, but 5? None. Thats more than Parkhead, LR when done and all the club stadia in London for example. No chance at all.

UEFA wanted to use it for CL final in the future...will look for the link. it fills all the criteria for one. theres only 6-7 of these stadiums in Europe. its something to do with capacity, ticketing(scanners etc) and other stuff.

And since when was landsdown road primarily built for Soccer? Thomand park will be used if we ever get the Euro's. but getting them wont happen due to the way the FAI clowns handled the last bid.+

Edit: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/uefa-eye-croker-final-692269.html

prendy wrote: »
    UEFA wanted to use it for CL final in the future...will look for the link. it fills all the criteria for one. theres only 6-7 of these stadiums in Europe. its something to do with capacity, ticketing(scanners etc) and other stuff.

Edit: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/uefa-eye-croker-final-692269.html

A tabloid article with no sources that IIRC was denied as nonsense by UEFA, the FAI and the GAA? Is that all you have?

Seated CP is less than 60,000 and does not have any of the scanning equipment etc you are talking about. You hand your ticket and the guy lets you in.

Its a fine stadium, but compared to the Amsterdam ArenA or Allianz Stadium in Munich you can tell it was designed 20 years ago. The new Landsdowne Road will be a far superiour stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not a hope, but we can dream. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If we found a load of oil and became super rich and built 8 brand new stadiums to be used afterwards for a new professional GAA league and our population grew to 12 million and we had invested in infrastructure to match that population then maybe, just maybe, we could host it alone in 2080...

Or the Irish and Scots could build 3 brand new stadiums each and the North and Wales pitch in with 1 stadium each while at the same time not having the luxury of automatic qualification. As if!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

All European football stadiums are given a star rating. UEFA look for the highest rated ones to use.

Croke Park doesn't have a high star rating because it was never designed with getting UEFAs approval in mind.

Fair enough, sorry i didnt understand the stars bit of the post, thought he was being philosophical!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

A tabloid article with no sources that IIRC was denied as nonsense by UEFA, the FAI and the GAA? Is that all you have?

Seated CP is less than 60,000 and does not have any of the scanning equipment etc you are talking about. You hand your ticket and the guy lets you in.

Its a fine stadium, but compared to the Amsterdam ArenA or Allianz Stadium in Munich you can tell it was designed 20 years ago. The new Landsdowne Road will be a far superiour stadium.

Yes it has the scanning equipment, I have see it used at the All Ireland final with my own two eyes.

Oh and at least one of the German stadiums (Dortmont or Dusseldorf, I can't remember ) has terracing and used temporary seating for the WC, the same type as CP uses, I'll find links tomorrow.

That blows your pathetic statments in previous posts away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

dsmythy wrote: »
    If we found a load of oil and became super rich and built 8 brand new stadiums to be used afterwards for a new professional GAA league and our population grew to 12 million and we had invested in infrastructure to match that population then maybe, just maybe, we could host it alone in 2080...

At last someone with a feasable plan! More than the FAI could offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Since when does Hill 16 hold 23,000?

Because that's what you're implying by saying that the capacity without the terraces is less than 60,000.
    Link please Aidan?

And you need to get your facts right before saying it doesn't have scanning facilities and using terms in a derogatory manner such as "The Gah".

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/uefa-eye-croker-final-692269.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

kraggy wrote: »
    Since when does Hill 16 hold 23,000?

Because that's what you're implying by saying that the capacity without the terraces is less than 60,000.

I'd reckon that for a UEFA game like the Champions League final that the capacity would be about 60000. I think you are forgetting the large UEFA advertising hoardings which effectively remove the first 3 rows of seats from being used.
    And also the necessity for various zones to remain unused for crowd segregation which is not an issue for GAA games (or Ireland home internationals) but would be needed for a game between two neutral clubs or countries.

And for the 4 star/ 5 star debate, as I understood it at the time UEFA definitely said it wouldn't merit 5 stars as it was lacking stuff like a press area / media centre, though the GAA have rectified this recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Gah wouldn't let it be used in this manner anyway.

I'm not sure if hosting a CL final would be big on their priorities but I am sue they would support a Euro bid.
    Which is not going to happen anyway so it's a moot point.

One other thing.

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they cghange the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind thta Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

DesF wrote: »

I'm not sure if hosting a CL final would be big on their priorities but I am sue they would support a Euro bid.

One other thing.

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they change the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind that Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they change the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind that Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

That could get messy alright..........Perhaps they would have to forfeit their positions in tournament?

**** stirrer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kraggy wrote: »
    **** stirrer

What?

I could not see The Gah agreeing to games for an International Soccer Tournament being hosted in Croke Park, smack bang in the middle of their own flagship competition.

They are already running scared of soccer as it is, as shown by their determination to murder one of Ireland's most successful Soccer Clubs (no, not Keltic, Shamrock Rovers).

How anyone who calls themself a "fan of Irish Soccer" has one ounce of support for The Gah is absolutely beyond me.

People don't give a shiney fúck about soccer on this island, and only want a big day out. The people insisting that Croker can and would be used in any bid attempt, without knowing or caring about the facts, are testament to this, in my opinion.

What?

I could not see The Gah agreeing to games for an International Soccer Tournament being hosted in Croke Park, smack bang in the middle of their own flagship competition.

They are already running scared of soccer as it is, as shown by their determination to murder one of Ireland's most successful Soccer Clubs (no, not Keltic, Shamrock Rovers).

How anyone who calls themself a "fan of Irish Soccer" has one ounce of support for The Gah is absolutely beyond me.

People don't give a shiney fúck about soccer on this island, and only want a big day out. The people insisting that Croker can and would be used in any bid attempt, without knowing or caring about the facts, are testament to this, in my opinion.

I was referring to the proximity of your post, which included "the Gah", to my post about OhNoYouDidn't's derogatory use of the term.

Thought you were stirring the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd hardly call saying Gah derogatory.

It's just a phonetic way of writing it.

All my life we called the local pitches the Gah pitches.

This was long before they tried to destroy SRFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

People don't have to be die-hard supporters of Irish soccer to be fans of Soccer. Many of us played both Soccer, Gah(Gaelic football - or whateveryeahwanttocallit) as well as loads of other sports when kids. The topbrass might view it differently but many grassroots GAA fans are Soccer fans too and would prefer both to thrive. Personally I prefer Soccer but I still have a passing interest in GAA and Rugby. You're obviously far more enthusiastic and knowledgable no doubt about Soccer than I am. Since I am not a fanatical supporter - or you saying I shouldn't be a supporter at all? Should I not support Ireland when when they play, should I not support my county when they play Gah or hurling, should I not support my province when they play rugby, should I not support my local soccer team when they play.
    People don't give a shiney fúck about soccer on this island

I more or less agree with you here but perhaps the soccer fans in Ireland should look at themselves rather than blame other sporting bodies. If all the supporters of English Teams gave the same support for their home grown teams Soccer in Ireland would be thriving. But alas I think that's a tradition/mindset that won't change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

One other thing.

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they cghange the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind thta Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

UEFA would have to make the decision before the qualifiers for Euro 2012 start which would be late 2010 as Poland/Ukraine would have to be included in the draw along with everybody else.
    Polands problems have been going on a while. Their stadiums are not the best and I remember reading some time ago that they simply didn't have the manpower for the building work involved as a lot of the young population of Poland have migrated to Western Europe.

Yes it has the scanning equipment, I have see it used at the All Ireland final with my own two eyes.

Oh and at least one of the German stadiums (Dortmont or Dusseldorf, I can't remember ) has terracing and used temporary seating for the WC, the same type as CP uses, I'll find links tomorrow.

That blows your pathetic statments in previous posts away.

Pathetic? Get a grip.

Croke Park has a steward scan your ticket with a handheld where the Gardai do their searches and you hand the ticket to a man in the turnstile. That is a million miles from the electric trunstiles used in major competetions.

The terracing in Dortmund is specific in that it is seating you can stand on - again, a million miles from the scenes in Cork at the weekend where 400 people had to be let onto the pitch due to crushing. The same sort of terracing that is on the Hill.

You Gah heads are loyal, I'll give you that.

But this is all irrelevant. The Gah would never allow their facilities to be used to promote football in this way, as is their right. Crowds are low enough already in theis years inter counties cup, there are more footballers than Gaelic and hurlers combined (before we count five a side) and more basketballers than hurlers, and the ESRI just reported that they have the same playing numbers they had 20 years ago - a decline in real terms. They have enough problems without helping give football on this island the biggest boost it could ever get.

The Indo trot these stories out every now and again to stir up the predicitble paranoid hornets nest that is the Gah fan enraged at 'soccer' eying their stadia, when nothing could be further from the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pathetic? Get a grip.

Croke Park has a steward scan your ticket with a handheld where the Gardai do their searches and you hand the ticket to a man in the turnstile. That is a million miles from the electric trunstiles used in major competetions.
    Yep. I've been to all the Ireland home games at CP and Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadium in Stuttgart and the ticket scanners are totally different, the ones in Stuttgart being the more advanced turnstile type.

The Gah would never allow their facilities to be used to promote football in this way, as is their right.
    It certainly is, but will it get to the stage that the GAA will have to let other sports in to make many inspite of the conflict of interests?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I was working as one of those scanners for one of the 6 Nations matches and I can guarantee you that they are an absolute joke

Advertisement