Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland and Ireland for Euro 2012?

• 10-06-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone hear that story this morning about UEFA looking afresh at a Scotland/Ireland staging of the 2012 championships as they are bit worried about Poland/Ukriane?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone hear that story this morning about UEFA looking afresh at a Scotland/Ireland staging of the 2012 championships as they are bit worried about Poland/Ukriane?

Mike.

oh dear god please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yeah Gordon Smith (SFA Chairman) was in the papers last week saying that he had told Uefa he would like Scotland to be considered should the Poland Ukraine problems persist.

Didnt know Ireland were getting back in on the act too though.

I cant see it happening to be honest, i reckon it would take a substantial delay for UEFA to stop the originally chosen hosts from getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I assume Landsdowne would be finished by then?

If it is, would the GAA still allow football to be played in Croke Park?

At least we'd qualify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would two stadia in Dublin be considered?

What about The Maze, has that even been started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Last time the bid failed the Sfa said they want noting to do with the circus that is the fai

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Would there be enough stadia? Consider there's 8 for the current Euros. Lansdowne, Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park, Croke Park and Murrayfield. Where else could be used? I don't know if they could develop existing stadia in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

dancor wrote: »
    Last time the bid failed the Sfa said they want noting to do with the circus that is the fai

No point asking for a link to that, is there?

An absolute non-story. We will have one stadium on the island in LR that will be suitable as having the four star criteria.

Non-runner, even for the Scotch who have three stadia suitable, all in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Anyone can give some links with Irish stadiums pics you have or supose to be build in closer future.I saw only Croke park and its nice one,some more out there?

Tom65 wrote: »
    Would there be enough stadia? Consider there's 8 for the current Euros. Lansdowne, Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park, Croke Park and Murrayfield. Where else could be used? I don't know if they could develop existing stadia in time.

Croke Park and possibly Murrayfield are not football stadia so would struggle hard to be deemed suitable.

Its all in the stars, and the Gah didn't design their barn with getting them in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Anyone can give some links with Irish stadiums pics you have or supose to be build in closer future.I saw only Croke park and its nice one,some more out there?

the only other viable stadium we MIGHT have would be lansdowne road, which will supposedly look something like this when finished

20040124lansdownegb2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think unless we can offer 4 different cities then this idea will be laughed at.

As such, this idea will be laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Croke Park and possibly Murrayfield are not football stadia so would struggle hard to be deemed suitable.

Its all in the stars, and the Gah didn't design their barn with getting them in mind.

I just realised that the Championship runs through June, July and August so it's unlikely the GAA would allow Croke Park to be used as it would involve turfing out Gaelic for soccer. Wouldn't go down well.

I'd say Murrayfield would be okay. A bid with Wales as well (wasn't that the original 'Celtic Bid'?) would bring in the Millenium Stadium. That'd leave Ibrox, Celtic Park, Hampden, Murrayfield, Millenium Stadium and Lansdowne. 5 stadiums?

Overall, I can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

We should lodge a bid on our own for 2016(or 2020)

The only thing that could possibly work is a "Celtic tournament" with us having 2 stadia, Wales and NornIron having 1 each and Scotland having 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Holding it in 4 countries...I really would doubt that.

Ireland could easily host in on its own in 10 years time. Most countries have to build stadiums for these things, so there is no reason we couldn't.

Also we could use thomond park or whatever its called, where Muster play. The stadium Portugal played against Turkey is sometimes a rugby ground.

Four automatically qualifying host nations who all regularly fail to qualify for tournaments.

Never going to happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Non-runner, even for the Scotch who have three stadia suitable, all in Glasgow.

On behalf of Eirebear, "scotch" is a drink. "Scots" or "Scottish" is what you're looking for. ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

What a load of S**T.

I saw some rag in the shop this morning with the headline ‘Croker For Euro 2012 Finals’

One of the reasons the Scotland/Ireland bid came third behind Swiss/Aus and Bulgaria/Romania for 2008 was because there were too many stadia in too few places

Nothing has changed since, the majority of the stadia would be split between 3 large cities, CP, and Lansdowne in Dublin; Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden in Glasgow; and Murryfield in Edinburgh

And you cannot include a possible Maze stadium in NI, as mentioned above, cos that would result 3 host nations, which is a bit much.

If it cannot be in Poland/Ukraine then places like Germany or Italy would be straight forward alternatives.

Typical from this poster, an anti GAA gibe.

You can't resist can you .

leave it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Will the FAI be bringing UEFA officials to see a field again?

Anyway, it ain't gonna happen. Waaaay too many other suitable countries before they'd even consider us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely Lansdowne Road was built primarily for Rugby as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Benedict is right. UEFA never seriously considered the initial bid because of the geographical locations of the stadia.
    In Scotland they are all concentrated along the middle belt of Glasgow and Edinburgh.
    In Ireland, any possible stadia are both located within Dublin city.

UEFA likes to see a country with diverse stadia locations, this latest news is simply a non-starter. Only written to create a buzz among football supporters.
    Unfortunately this is never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

What language is that your using? Or what does is this sentence supposed to mean?

gucci wrote: »
    What language is that your using? Or what does is this sentence supposed to mean?

All European football stadiums are given a star rating. UEFA look for the highest rated ones to use.

Croke Park doesn't have a high star rating because it was never designed with getting UEFAs approval in mind.

the only other viable stadium we MIGHT have would be lansdowne road, which will supposedly look something like this when finished

20040124lansdownegb2.jpg

Also in Dublin?What about capacity?

Anyway is there also any coz with 2 stadiums that is not possible to organise,if they would share competition with Scotland it would be like 4 irish and 4 scotch stadiums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Holding it in 4 countries...I really would doubt that.

Ireland could easily host in on its own in 10 years time. Most countries have to build stadiums for these things, so there is no reason we couldn't.

Also we could use thomond park or whatever its called, where Muster play. The stadium Portugal played against Turkey is sometimes a rugby ground.

ROFL of the day!!!

Typical from this poster, an anti GAA gibe.

You can't resist can you .

leave it out.
    Why should he?

The Gah tried to kill his club.

Are YOU happy that the Gah took a court case with the sole intention of putting one of Ireland's soccer clubs out of existance?

Or do you not care that much about irish football?

DesF wrote: »
    Why should he?

The Gah tried to kill his club.

Are YOU happy that the Gah took a court case with the sole intention of putting one of Ireland's soccer clubs out of existance?

Or do you not care that much about irish football?

Thanks for that Des, but I wasn't even thinking of that. Just the simple statement of fact that even if CP was available, it would not be suitable.
    All European football stadiums are given a star rating. UEFA look for the highest rated ones to use.

Croke Park doesn't have a high star rating because it was never designed with getting UEFAs approval in mind.

Thank you, I thought what I was saying was obvious. The Gah built a Gah stadium with Gah in mind.

Croke Park will not obtain the requisite criteria from FIFA to host games in a major tournament. Its not even all seater stadium FFS.

• Advertisement

The talk when the original bid went in was that Murrayfield had already been ok'd.

Along with that a stadium was planned for Dundee(which both Dundee clubs would then play in) and upgrading Pittodrie (by god it needs it).

along with the 3 Glasgow ones that makes 6 stadiums, i dont know if it would be possible before 2012 now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

In todays daily Record that wales have expressed an interest in getting involved.
    So that would give stadia in 4 cities. But I think the 2012 will have 24 finalists, so I'm not sure that will be enough cities, or stadia.

Might be a novel enough idea for it to appeal to UEFA, with possibly a mini knockout tourney between the 3 hosts for 2 finalists slots. That would be cool.

I've been drinking today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

a extra stadium in ireland would help,outside dublin as that was prob last time,need to be spread more around ireland, like with other countrys

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I doubt very much if Scotland would ask the FAI clowns to co-host again after they f***ed it up last time around. I'd imagine if UEFA took the tournament away from Poland/Ukraine it would go to Spain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Spain or Italy are surely in a better position than us and Scotland

big b wrote: »
    In todays daily Record that wales have expressed an interest in getting involved.
    So that would give stadia in 4 cities. But I think the 2012 will have 24 finalists, so I'm not sure that will be enough cities, or stadia.

Might be a novel enough idea for it to appeal to UEFA, with possibly a mini knockout tourney between the 3 hosts for 2 finalists slots. That would be cool.

I've been drinking today though.

The Euro's dont go to 24 teams untill 2016 as far as i know?

I think that was Smith's reason for expresing the interest again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Croke Park will not obtain the requisite criteria from FIFA to host games in a major tournament. Its not even all seater stadium FFS.

Not quite true lads. Before soccer internationals were played in Croke Park, UEFA sent a delegation to inspect it. They pre-approved Croker as a 5-star stadium, contingent on the hill being seated of course (which it has been for internationals already). This means it will be designated as 5-star should Croke Park ever be required (or agreed upon) to host Euro Championships, Champions League finals or the like. Of course that may never happen but the stadium meets all the criteria if needed, in fact the UEFA team were said to be very impressed with the place.

As for Ireland being involved in any bid for a euro championships it aint gonna happen. Jesus at the moment our national team doesn't even have a stadium, so if the papers are writing this kind of stuff it's just more proof that they'll write anything to grab a headline. It's laughable nonsense.

Link please Aidan?

There is no way a stadium with terracing gets 5 stars. None.

There are a number of reasons CP won't get 5 stars. 4 stars is a discussion we could have, but 5? None. Thats more than Parkhead, LR when done and all the club stadia in London for example. No chance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Eirebear wrote: »
    The Euro's dont go to 24 teams untill 2016 as far as i know?

I think that was Smith's reason for expresing the interest again

from yesterdays record:
    "Smith told Record Sport: "When Michel Platini was at the IFAB meeting at Gleneagles recently I asked him if the number of teams at the European Championships would be increased in 2012 and he said yes.

It's 16 teams this summer but they are looking at it going up to 20 and then maybe 24 in the future. "I told him that would rule out smaller countries such as ourselves of ever hosting a tournament and he agreed."

Not exactly a clear answer, right enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Link please Aidan?

There are a number of reasons CP won't get 5 stars. 4 stars is a discussion we could have, but 5? None. Thats more than Parkhead, LR when done and all the club stadia in London for example. No chance at all.

UEFA wanted to use it for CL final in the future...will look for the link. it fills all the criteria for one. theres only 6-7 of these stadiums in Europe. its something to do with capacity, ticketing(scanners etc) and other stuff.

And since when was landsdown road primarily built for Soccer? Thomand park will be used if we ever get the Euro's. but getting them wont happen due to the way the FAI clowns handled the last bid.+

Edit: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/uefa-eye-croker-final-692269.html

prendy wrote: »
    UEFA wanted to use it for CL final in the future...will look for the link. it fills all the criteria for one. theres only 6-7 of these stadiums in Europe. its something to do with capacity, ticketing(scanners etc) and other stuff.

Edit: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/uefa-eye-croker-final-692269.html

A tabloid article with no sources that IIRC was denied as nonsense by UEFA, the FAI and the GAA? Is that all you have?

Seated CP is less than 60,000 and does not have any of the scanning equipment etc you are talking about. You hand your ticket and the guy lets you in.

Its a fine stadium, but compared to the Amsterdam ArenA or Allianz Stadium in Munich you can tell it was designed 20 years ago. The new Landsdowne Road will be a far superiour stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not a hope, but we can dream. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If we found a load of oil and became super rich and built 8 brand new stadiums to be used afterwards for a new professional GAA league and our population grew to 12 million and we had invested in infrastructure to match that population then maybe, just maybe, we could host it alone in 2080...

Or the Irish and Scots could build 3 brand new stadiums each and the North and Wales pitch in with 1 stadium each while at the same time not having the luxury of automatic qualification. As if!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Fair enough, sorry i didnt understand the stars bit of the post, thought he was being philosophical!:p

A tabloid article with no sources that IIRC was denied as nonsense by UEFA, the FAI and the GAA? Is that all you have?

Seated CP is less than 60,000 and does not have any of the scanning equipment etc you are talking about. You hand your ticket and the guy lets you in.

Its a fine stadium, but compared to the Amsterdam ArenA or Allianz Stadium in Munich you can tell it was designed 20 years ago. The new Landsdowne Road will be a far superiour stadium.

Yes it has the scanning equipment, I have see it used at the All Ireland final with my own two eyes.

Oh and at least one of the German stadiums (Dortmont or Dusseldorf, I can't remember ) has terracing and used temporary seating for the WC, the same type as CP uses, I'll find links tomorrow.

That blows your pathetic statments in previous posts away.

dsmythy wrote: »
    If we found a load of oil and became super rich and built 8 brand new stadiums to be used afterwards for a new professional GAA league and our population grew to 12 million and we had invested in infrastructure to match that population then maybe, just maybe, we could host it alone in 2080...

At last someone with a feasable plan! More than the FAI could offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Since when does Hill 16 hold 23,000?

Because that's what you're implying by saying that the capacity without the terraces is less than 60,000.
    Link please Aidan?

And you need to get your facts right before saying it doesn't have scanning facilities and using terms in a derogatory manner such as "The Gah".

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/uefa-eye-croker-final-692269.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

kraggy wrote: »
    Since when does Hill 16 hold 23,000?

Because that's what you're implying by saying that the capacity without the terraces is less than 60,000.

I'd reckon that for a UEFA game like the Champions League final that the capacity would be about 60000. I think you are forgetting the large UEFA advertising hoardings which effectively remove the first 3 rows of seats from being used.
    And also the necessity for various zones to remain unused for crowd segregation which is not an issue for GAA games (or Ireland home internationals) but would be needed for a game between two neutral clubs or countries.

And for the 4 star/ 5 star debate, as I understood it at the time UEFA definitely said it wouldn't merit 5 stars as it was lacking stuff like a press area / media centre, though the GAA have rectified this recently.

The Gah wouldn't let it be used in this manner anyway.

I'm not sure if hosting a CL final would be big on their priorities but I am sue they would support a Euro bid.
    Which is not going to happen anyway so it's a moot point.

One other thing.

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they cghange the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind thta Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

DesF wrote: »
    The Gah wouldn't let it be used in this manner anyway.

I'm not sure if hosting a CL final would be big on their priorities but I am sue they would support a Euro bid.
    Which is not going to happen anyway so it's a moot point.

One other thing.

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they change the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind that Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement