Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pot,Kettle,Black Mr Alex Ferguson

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    OH GOOD GOD....Absolute total 100% horse manure. What a load of rubbish. I actually couldn't stop laughing that someone ACTUALLY said that. :D

United control third party indepedant media now, do they? Of course, United should be docked points for failing in their duties to regulate Sky Sports News.

To be fair, that was just awful reporting from sky. Man U put an article on their website with a big headline saying;
    "Ramsey fee agreed" and a sub-headline of;
    "United have agreed a fee with Cardiff City to bring talented teenager Aaron Ramsey to Old Trafford."
    http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6610831

They go on to mention briefly that other clubs have also had bids accepted. Its very biased, but thats their prerogative, its the MUFC website after all, of course they'll report things with their slant. It was just laziness out of Skysports to do the same. They just did what they do everyday, check all the official club websites and regurgitate whatever is on there. unfortunately, noone bothered to read closely enough to see this should have been a story reported with the balance maintained between all the clubs involved rather then just keeping it as only a Mufc story simply because thats where they took it from. Not tapping up, just lazy journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6610831

They go on to mention briefly that other clubs have also had bids accepted. Its very biased, but thats their prerogative, its the MUFC website after all, of course they'll report things with their slant.

It says United have agreed a fee, subject to contract and medical, other clubs have bid for him, and he's another talented left sided Welsh player like Gareth Bale and Ryan Giggs. Whats biased about it?

But what your trying to say is absolutely right. How can you blame Manchester United for Sky Sports reports? Saying that is lunacy of the highest order. Pile of sh!te if i ever heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ronaldo in the papers this morning quoted as saying he hasn't decided where he will be playing his club football next year.

This isn't just Madrid at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

we all know Gerrard & Barry are good friends outside football so i would defo say liverpool are tapping up and using Gerrard as well to have a quite word.
    Now that's something I don't quite get in relation to the whole Liverpool are tapping up Barry thing. Not saying they are or aren't but lets assume they were for a minute and asked Gerrard to help. Presumably he'd have done exactly what you said and had a quite word with him. We all know they've been good mates for years now so I'm sure he'd have no shortage of chances to try turn Barry's head in private if he was trying to and absolutely no one would know about it. Would he really have needed to do it via the media ? Would doing it via the media really achieve anything ?

If any of us were to try and poach a mate on behalf of our employers - would we do it down the pub over a few pints and maybe a bite to eat or take out a full page ad in a national paper ? And would your mate be won over by the media ad which would be guaranteed to p!ss off their current employer ?

But as soon as Gerrard gave that interview the finger of accusation turned towards him. Is he that stupid that he went with the media option ? Is he that stupid that he didn't realise that he'd probably have more success in doing this privately ? Maybe he has been tapping up Barry but imo that press interview was not an attempt to tap Barry up - it was just another example of Gerrard being something of a t!t and needing a reminder as to when to keep his mouth shut.

Liverpool using Gerrard to tap up Barry?

I've heard it all now.

They are MATES ffs.

What's wrong with a fella telling his mate that his job is good, and maybe his friend would like to try it out for a while?

Jesus christ, this inter-team squabbling that goes on here at times is embarrassing.

Dub13 wrote: »

Im sorry but what where in that article does it prove or even suggest that Rooney got tapped up?! He wanted to leave, he claims, to get away from Moyes.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    As far as Liverpool were concerned they were well within their rights, hence the court case/hearing thing etc, think calling that tapping up, in the same way as the cases mentioned in the article and the way Real are going at Ronaldo is a bit silly. But i am under no false illusions we have never tapped up anyone.

still hurts he was willing to move to us doesnt it mate :)

No it doesnt, he was second fiddle at us, he was a bottler because rather than stay and fight for his place he wanted to go somewhere where he was guaranteed first team football. To think we'd be hurt because we lost the inferior one of our 2 left backs is funny! Seems to me it still hurts we didnt let him join ;)

As for your argument about being within their rights, I believe you must first agree a fee with a player before talking to them no? United said he'd be allowed to go, which is an invitation for his agent to inform clubs that he is available, then the clubs go to Untied with a bid and then and only then are they allowed to speak to the player. Obviously it;d be naive for anyone to think this is how it goes down cos we all know it isnt but the level of hypocracy on thsi thtread is hilarious. Most if not all United fans here have said "yea Fergie is a hypocrite" but almost all Liverpool fans here have adopted the "holier than thou" stance.

And as for your source article to start the thread Al, thats the equivalent of someone in here startin an anti Liverpool threrad using an article from teh sun. Get a grip mate, that journo is a joke and he's about as neutral in his views as a Celtic fan would be watchin Rangers play Lazio.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

DesF wrote: »
    Ronaldo in the papers this morning quoted as saying he hasn't decided where he will be playing his club football next year.

I really think Ronaldo is just trying to get himself a better contract deal. Believe it or not he's actually started signing autographs as CR7. I think United will give him a better image rights deal and he'll be happy. The lad is in line for World player of the year this year and he obviously feels his contract should reflect that.

Possibly, but for Ferguson to be placing the blame on madrid's shoulders is silly.

Young Cristiano isn't doing much to help matters.

Why doesn't he just say, unambiguously, that he will be at ManYoo next season?

This must be rightly pissing off the Manchester United fans.

Possibly, but for Ferguson to be placing the blame on madrid's shoulders is silly.

Young Cristiano isn't doing much to help matters.

Why doesn't he just say, unambiguously, that he will be at ManYoo next season?

This must be rightly pissing off the Manchester United fans.

Read the United superthread, pages upon pages of it there. Yep, he' snot blameless, in fact I apportion a large amount of blame on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Agreed! Ronaldo is being extremely difficult. If you remember he did it after the last World Cup and decided to stay once his contract was improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Almost everyone taps up, fergies been known to do it. But the way real go about it, is on whole other level and it just annoys the tits off me. God i hated that term galactico and Marca. As an Arsenal fan i've put up with it for 3-4 years with Vieira, Henry, reyes etc. I'm delighted someones complained.

I'm not roni's biggest fan(i do acknowledge he's a class layer), but why should he have to say to the press i'm staying every 5 minutes, after declaaring himself numerous other times. It must be really annoying now for portugal and him, they're at a major competition and they're asked more questions from the english press about Roni's\Scolari possible club moves than the competition itself. By keepig shut he'll keep the press of his back. Vieira used do the same and i remember for 2-3 summers in a row, sh1tting myself, will he stay or will he go, why won't he say anything. The english press can be really annoying and i imagine with them having no interest in the euros, its trebled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

And as for your source article to start the thread Al, thats the equivalent of someone in here startin an anti Liverpool threrad using an article from teh sun

Too hung over for an argument mate, but wat are you talking about?
    Wats Utd fans issue with the Mirror that makes it comparable to Liverpool fans and The S*n? Or do you just mean that the journalist is from Merseyside? In which case, so wat? is a word of wat he said wrong?

Too hung over for an argument mate, but wat are you talking about?
    Wats Utd fans issue with the Mirror that makes it comparable to Liverpool fans and The S*n? Or do you just mean that the journalist is from Merseyside? In which case, so wat? is a word of wat he said wrong?

He openly just writes "I hate United" rants...hardly an unbiased spectator. Liverpools issue with The S*n is different in what caused it but the Mirror openly allow him to drag Uniteds name through the muck with his articles, so at this stage he;s like that nagging fly that flies around your ear and as much as you keep swatting at him he just keeps coming back because he's an annoying little insect. So you just learn to ignore him.

He's a sensationalist bitter idiot. The last things we need is to be discussing journos like him. He's a joke.

Question: How many times have United been reported or disciplined for all this tapping up that he writes about? Answer: None.

The Rooney example is hilarious. There zero evidence of him being atpped up. Newcastle amde a bid which forced Uniteds hand. Dub13 then quoted an article which was supposed to prove United tapped him up but there was absolutely no evidence in said article.

Im not claiming SAF hasnt tapped up players but the "holier than thou" bull is annoying. You'd think Liverpool were saints in the transfer market.

Real Madrid have been verbose, brash and unashamed in their persuit of Ronaldo. As a previous poster pointed out, theres history there, unrelentless public attempts to unsettle a player. Approaching his mother. Leaking stories of how much money you will give him to tempt him. its ridiculous to think that posters think that a team should be so obvious about this and get away with because the team on the other side COULD have (more than likely have but not in such a cavalier way as to say "F**k your rules, we make our own rules") have engaged in tapping up before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hypocrisy is still hypocrisy. I'm interested to see how this proceeds.

Question: How many times have United been reported or disciplined for all this tapping up that he writes about? Answer: None.

That point is bull****. up until 24 hours ago Real Madrid had never been done for tapping up. I' d also like to know the definition of "tapping up", i thought it was making contact with a player, NOT running stories in the press.

That point is bull****. up until 24 hours ago Real Madrid had never been done for tapping up. I' d also like to know the definition of "tapping up", i thought it was making contact with a player, NOT running stories in the press.

Real havent been done because nobody has had the balls to do it. Yes the same could be said for United but name me one occasion where United kept up what Real are doing after clubs had issued them an official warning. real think that they are above the law, its a joke. Bayern issued an unofficial warning about Hargreaves because United kept bidding for him, which is different Real havent even bid for Ronaldo yet.

Deliberately unsettling a player falls under "tapping up" for me.

Real havent been done because nobody has had the balls to do it. Yes the same could be said for United but name me one occasion where United kept up what Real are doing after clubs had issued them an official warning. real think that they are above the law, its a joke. Bayern issued an unofficial warning about Hargreaves because United kept bidding for him, which is different Real havent even bid for Ronaldo yet.

All I hear is "They broke the rules just a bit more than we do regularly and we needs justice dammit!"

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    All I hear is "They broke the rules just a bit more than we do regularly and we needs justice dammit!"

No its more 2 wrongs dont make a right but sure keep on looking, Im sure you'll see what you want to see.

No its more 2 wrongs dont make a right but sure keep on looking, Im sure you'll see what you want to see.

As long as you're sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Rooney example is hilarious. There zero evidence of him being atpped up. Newcastle amde a bid which forced Uniteds hand. Dub13 then quoted an article which was supposed to prove United tapped him up but there was absolutely no evidence in said article.

I never said that link would prove it,the link was posted to back up what I said that there was a general feeling he was tapped up.I then went on to say its very hard/next to imposable to prove any of these examples from any club.If you read the full thread on one post I even said maybe Rooney was not tapped up but there are so many cases something must be going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I doubt theres a club anywhere that doesnt tap players up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

bohsman wrote: »

I agree,I often hear of Junior sides doing it and kids teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Yeah, but what's your point? Its not just Madrid, but that doesn't change the fact they are the culprits in chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

LOL wat a pack of ****e, sorry mate, thats a fan site, its not a proper link. i have no doubt a lot of west ham fans think he was tapped up, but you cant really just say that without providing any proof, especially when your first post was so factually incorrect.

Go on then post your proof of the allegations made in your original post.
    http://uk.acer.yahoo.com/

there is a lot of the **** on the internet.

check out the video of the alien i posted above.

motto? dont believe everything you read on the internet.

If that were the second post in this thread it could have ended there.

They all do it to some extent, Real are just a bit more blatant about it. I will be surprised if FIFA do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

bohsman wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Some are 'better' at it than others and some are more in your face than others about it but they're all at it to some degree or other.

name me one occasion where United kept up what Real are doing after clubs had issued them an official warning..

Owen Hargreaves.
    real think that they are above the law, its a joke..

In football, there is no one worse than SAF for thinking they are above the law.

I'll point you back to Mr Hargreaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,320 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bayern gave us permission to talk to Hargreaves. United have not given permission to Real, so itis different.

Bayern gave permission only after Hargreaves became so unsettled and presumably told them he wanted to leave, which was of course due to Utds actions
    Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in 2006: "We have told Manchester United that they should stop trying to tempt Owen Hargreaves. If they don't, then we will have to turn to FIFA."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

All the clubs do it. Isnt Liverpool very public courting of Gareth Barry a prime example at the moment?

Bayern gave permission only after Hargreaves became so unsettled and presumably told them he wanted to leave, which was of course due to Utds actions

without a date, and proof of the date for that quote, it doesn't mean anything. United got permission to talk to Hargreaves at the start of the summer in 2006. Bayern became pissed at us later in the summer (shockingly after van Nistlerooy chose Real over them....:rolleyes:) but by then they had already given permission to talk to him.

Killme00 wrote: »
    All the clubs do it. Isnt Liverpool very public courting of Gareth Barry a prime example at the moment?

Been done already, in THIS thread.

Tauren wrote: »
    without a date, and proof of the date for that quote, it doesn't mean anything.

But you saying Bayern gave Utd proof to talk to Hargreaves does mean something? despite me providing a quote to which would seem like they didnt seem to happy at Utd?

Only one of us has provided anything that could classed as proof, and it aint you mate ;)

But you saying Bayern gave Utd proof to talk to Hargreaves does mean something? despite me providing a quote to which would seem like they didnt seem to happy at Utd?

Only one of us has provided anything that could classed as proof, and it aint you mate ;)

Sorry, what now? you class a quote, with no reference or link, that you could easily have written yourself, as 'proof'.

Ok then.
    On May 1st, Bayern Munich gave United permission to talk to Owen Hargreaves, without any 'tapping' up involved

Proof, i suppose.

Al, link to the article you got the quote from, otherwise you look like a fool.

lol, mate i remeber bayern being livid about Utd approaching Hargreaves, it was only last year, i remember their president on the phone to SSN going ape **** about it.

you are not just allowed white wash that from your clubs past caused your pissed off at Real at the minute!

Post the link, otherwise you are making up quotes, and are no better than a Sun journo.

lol, mate i remeber bayern being livid about Utd approaching Hargreaves, it was only last year, i remember their president on the phone to SSN going ape **** about it.

you are not just allowed white wash that from your clubs past caused your pissed off at Real at the minute!

Last year is 2007. We tried to sign hargreaves in 2006, which is when I am saying we did have permission to talk to him BEFORE Bayern got all pissy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

T'will be hard to find but i do remember bayern kicking up a stink.

• Advertisement

Where's the link which contains this quote?
    Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in 2006: "We have told Manchester United that they should stop trying to tempt Owen Hargreaves. If they don't, then we will have to turn to FIFA."

Alan posted it, the quote. All we need is the link to the reputable source containing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This Guardian piece says
    "We have told Manchester United to drop their interest, or we will have to turn to Fifa," said Rummenigge today in Munich's Tz newspaper.
    Xavi6 wrote: »

This mirror piece says
    "We have told Manchester United that they should stop trying to tempt Owen Hargreaves. If they don't, then we will have to turn to FIFA."

And is written, by surprise surprise, that Reade character.

Al's quote was
    "We have told Manchester United that they should stop trying to tempt Owen Hargreaves. If they don't, then we will have to turn to FIFA."

Which was the mirror piece.

Splitting hairs Des.

Both pieces are threats from Bayern to drop their interest in Owen Hargreaves or they will report the matter to FIFA, thats the important part.

No, the important thing, in my opinion, is if they actually reported the matter to FIFA or not.

I mean, I could say to you "I'm going to report your post", but I might not do that, because there'd be no point, because there's nothing worth reporting.

ah here Des, thats ****e, the world and its mother witnessed Utds VERY public courting of Hargreaves. for you to say anything different is insane.

I'm not complaining about it, most clubs do it, just find it funny watching Utd get on their high horse over Ronaldo.

ps: if FIFA clear Real does that mean that they are innocent of attempting to unsettle Ronaldo? cause i think they will be cleared. Using the media, although underhand and not very sportsmanlike, is not tapping up in my opinion.

Post reported.

love you too x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

As Brian Clough once said, "we [Nottingham Forest] tapped more players than the Severn-Trent water board!"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/09/20/sfnmil20.xml

Everyone does it, nobody cares. As for SAF, he is just trying to deflect attention from the real issue, that Ronaldo has been giving Real Madrid his best come to bed eyes for quite a while.

Advertisement