Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up my own dish

Options
  • 09-08-2004 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Good morning all, sitting comfortably? Then let me begin...

Yesterday, I (at last!) put up a Sky Dish that I had for some months, and I tuned it in as best I could. Using a combination of a satfinder and the Lidl reciever, I have been able to get 70% quality and 70% strength on the FTA channels. The Lidl receiver is a excellent device, but although I've got great stuff on 2D (I can get all the BBC channels without breakup) the channels on Eurobird and Astra 2B are unwatchable due to breakup.

Any advice on why this is, knowing that 2D is a harder bird to tune, but for me its the exact opposite. :confused:

Also, this maybe why the Sky Digibox I'd like to use has no signal, (for BBCi and the Olympics Interactive) and doesnt lock onto the default TP.

Cheers lads...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

In Ireland and the UK, Astra2D is the "easier bird to tune" if you check the focus of the footprints.

Astra2D:
    http://www.satcodx-op.com/AST/uke/coverage.cgi?AST02DKB

Astra2B:
    http://www.satcodx-op.com/AST/uke/coverage.cgi?AST02BNO

Eurobird:
    http://www.satcodx-op.com/EUB/uke/coverage.cgi?EUB001KF

A bigger dish is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nope, standard Sky dish (Note: I'm using the Lidl receiver, but not its dish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭maisflocke

Zaphod wrote:
    In Ireland and the UK, Astra2D is the "easier bird to tune" if you check the focus of the footprints.

A bigger dish is required.

"Zaphod speeks ze wisemans tongue, DMC, your deesh is most likely a leetel bit small."

"How big is your deesh?" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi Damo, what size dish and what cable are you using, if you are lined up on eurobird you should have no problem getting 2d and honestly the satfinder will not show up any difference between the two. Try switching the receiver to high and low band and see if there is any differnce in signal level IE above and below 11.700

I suspect any of three causes
    1 Dish too small
    2. Coax problem (this can cause selective frequency loss
    3. LNB (again can cause selective freq loss)

Hope this helps
    DMC wrote:
    Good morning all, sitting comfortably? Then let me begin...

Yesterday, I (at last!) put up a Sky Dish that I had for some months, and I tuned it in as best I could. Using a combination of a satfinder and the Lidl reciever, I have been able to get 70% quality and 70% strength on the FTA channels. The Lidl receiver is a excellent device, but although I've got great stuff on 2D (I can get all the BBC channels without breakup) the channels on Eurobird and Astra 2B are unwatchable due to breakup.

Any advice on why this is, knowing that 2D is a harder bird to tune, but for me its the exact opposite. :confused:

Also, this maybe why the Sky Digibox I'd like to use has no signal, (for BBCi and the Olympics Interactive) and doesnt lock onto the default TP.

Cheers lads...

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, Tony. I'm actually using the Lidl's white coax that came with it, (I was lazy, it was crimped) but I can change that as I have a roll of CT100. Also, I'm getting only the low end freq channels, anything high up is unwatchable. I shall check about switching between low and high band this evening when I'm back at base. The standard 80cm Sky dish and LNB was in pwo in its previous location in Drogheda.

• Advertisement

Think that narrows it down to the lnb, I have one here from a sky + upgrade if you want to try it?

DMC wrote:
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head, Tony. I'm actually using the Lidl's white coax that came with it, (I was lazy, it was crimped) but I can change that as I have a roll of CT100. Also, I'm getting only the low end freq channels, anything high up is unwatchable. I shall check about switching between low and high band this evening when I'm back at base. The standard 80cm Sky dish and LNB was in pwo in its previous location in Drogheda.

Cheers Tony, I'll give you a update on how things are going since, and then I might take up on that very generous offer. :) Cheers!

I haven't changed the cable as it seems good, but I have recrimped both ends. 72% is what I'm getting after a little fine tuning and nudging, but I have got the Sky box fired up and getting somewhere....

Now, this is what is really throwing me! From the Sky box, I can easily see what I have and don't have... I can get all the low end freqs; RTÉ radio in the clear at 10744 H but now I can get right up to the top where BBC Radio 2 and 4 FM are at 12441 V

The problem lies somewhere in-between....
    CHart Show.tv on 11426 V -- I can get.
    Nation 217 on 11488 V -- Little bit of breakup
    Avago on 11546 H -- Prone to breakup
    The Wrestling Channel on 11662 H -- Prone to break-up
    BEN on 11662 H -- Some break-up
    Euronews and Hollywood TV on 11681 V -- Huge break-up
    Artsworld on 11778 V -- I can't get (no signal)
    Price-drop.tv on 11954 H -- I can't get (no signal)
    L!VE TV on 11973 V -- I can get

If I was subbed to Sky on this box (which I'm not) I'd have a huge hole in the channel line-ups, as a lot of the Family Pack and Sport channels reside in that freq area too.

**BOGGLE**

my moneys still on the lnb

Advertisement