Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DreamBox

Options
  • 30-07-2004 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

Thinking about buying myself a dreambox the DreamBox DM 5620 model is at a good price on a site I came across. Wondering how many of the users here have one and what they think about it. For those of you that do can it handle broadcasts in 4:2:2 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I have the DM 7000 with a 160GB Samsung Hard Drive. It's a good piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Greetings,
    For those of you that do can it handle broadcasts in 4:2:2 ?

Don't have one but from what I've read it can be used to stream to a PC which can then display 4:2:2. Also the latest version of the firmware will partially display a 4:2:2 stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Hi,
    I tried 4.2.2 with a dbox2 that had a dreambox image and used from one of the german sites Tuxvision.Its ropey as hell and the pc goes into crash mode sometimes BUT it works! Do a search in goolge for tuxvision,I cant remember the link off hand. Also be aware w98se is best with tuxvision and a P3 at least. Keep us informed if you pull in any ebu feeds.. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Do you reckon VideoLan could be used to pick up a dreambox stream? Was looking at it today, and it has loads of network options... Can pick up UDP/RTP, UDP/RTP Multicast and HTTP/FTP/MMS streams and decode most video formats.

Apparently it also has advanced option where you can set it up to dump raw network input and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Videolan will work fine with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Anyone happen to know exactly how much bandwidth a video stream (assume it's mpeg2) with the dreambox uses up?

Reason I ask is that there is no way I can get an ethernet cable into the room with my TV, so I am going to have to use a wireless solution. I have some old D-Link 22mbps equipment that I could use from last year. Done some real world tests with it, and it does a little above 1 megabyte per second (little over 10mbps real world). Would that be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

have a search around this site http://sat-industry.net , you will have to register i think, but its the best dreambox site .good site to get dreambox off is www.hm-sat.de .the 5620 is 179 euro. choose (Nachnahme) cash on delivery, 19 euro for delivery by ups when i got mine in january.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Picked up my 5620 from hmsat. Got a nice new 0.3db Goldstar lnb for 14euro as well. Now just to find time to sit down and get it working as I want it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I gave a look at the BBC One video stream last night on a DVB card and ProgDVB, and it ranged between 350,000 and 450,000 bytes/sec.

Advertisement