Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Week 9 Thread

• 29-10-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Thursday Night/Friday Morning 12:25AM

New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers Live On Sky Sports 1

Sunday Evening 6PM

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Cincinnati Bengals

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Cleveland Browns

New York Jets @ Kansas City Chiefs

Arizona Cardinals @ Dallas Cowboys Live On Sky Sports 2

San Diego Chargers @ Miami Dolphins

Philadelphia Eagles @ Houston Texans

Washington Redskins @ Minnesota Vikings

Sunday Evening 9:05PM

St Louis Rams @ San Francisco 49ers

Sunday Evening 9:25PM

Oakland Raiders @ Seattle Seahawks

Denver Broncos @ New England Patriots Live On Sky Sports 2

Sunday Night/Monday Morning 1:30AM

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers Live On Channel 4

Monday Night/Tuesday Morning 1:30AM

Indianapolis Colts @ New York Giants Live On Eurosport 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Week 9 ? Is it just me or are the weeks going really fast ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Week 9 ? Is it just me or are the weeks going really fast ?

too fast :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

typo on the first fixture

Tie of the weekend is the Pats V Broncos game. I expect this to be a good one - and one that will have seeding implications at the end of the regular season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

typo on the first fixture

Tie of the weekend is the Pats V Broncos game. I expect this to be a good one - and one that will have seeding implications at the end of the regular season.

Maybe but we've said that the last two years, lost both of them and finished with the top seed anyways...

Don't see us winning sunday, bad weather, we never win there (and strange things happen too like us blowing huge leads) and Fox has only ever beaten Belichick once, and that was when they were banged up as hell in january.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Some cracking matchups this week, a lot have playoff ramifications, whilst others just offer intriguing storylines.

New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers
    Obviously a big matchup for playoff and divisional hopes. Carolina did not look impressive pushing Seattle last week. New Orleans are a different team outside the Superdome though.

Cincinnati coming off a huge win against Baltimore last week are not going to slip up against the Jaguars.

Cleveland are back to winning ways, although have looked far from impressive. Browns should just eek this one out, and will need to, to keep pace in the ultra-tight AFC north.

I can't see any way for the Jets to push KC in this one. Will the Jets be any better under Vick? They couldn't be much worse.

Arizona Cardinals @ Dallas Cowboys
    I'll go with the Cardinals over either an injured Romo having to face multiple blitz packages or Brandon Weeden.

Maybe a must win for both teams if they harbour any hope of catching their division leaders. Will also have huge playoff implications in the race to secure a wild card spot. San Diego to shade it.

I always love watching JJ Watt go about his business, but think the Eagles will have too much for Houston.

Going for the Washington 3 in row with 3rd stringer Colt McCoy under center? Darn right I am.

49ers coming off a bye, Rams coming off a drubbing in KC. 49ers in a canter.

Seahawks to maul Carr. Easy win Hawks.

Denver Broncos @ New England Patriots
    Could go either way. Patriots have the form and are at home. I believe the weather is supposed to be inclement also. Hopefully the game can live up to it's billing though.

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers
    Huge game in light of results last week, a loss for either team here sees a 30% swing in their chances of making the playoffs. Tough to call, but the Steelers looked so good against the Colts last week, I'll stick with the hot hand Roethlisberger.

Indianapolis Colts @ New York Giants
    Colts D need to rebound from the pummelling they received at the hands of Pittsburgh, but in truth, this is not a must win game for the Colts. The Giants need a win to hang with the Eagles and Cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Don't see us winning sunday, bad weather, we never win there (and strange things happen too like us blowing huge leads) and Fox has only ever beaten Belichick once, and that was when they were banged up as hell in january.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Miller and Ware chase Brady around Foxboro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Looking forward to the game, proper test for our o line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hope for those of us under .500

From the NFL:

Since 2000, 34 teams have reached the halfway point of their season with a .500 or below winning percentage and advanced to the playoffs, including at least one in each season.

Of those 34 clubs, five have advanced to the Conference Championship Game, including the 2001 New England Patriots, who won Super Bowl XXXVI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

poldebruin wrote: »
    Colts D need to rebound from the pummelling they received at the hands of Pittsburgh, but in truth, this is not a must win game for the Colts. The Giants need a win to hang with the Eagles and Cowboys.

We are very banged up at this stage of the season. No Cruz, Jennings, Beason, Thurmond, McBride, Jernigan & a seriously banged up DRC.

Our o-line have been very hit & miss (when good, very good, when bad, horrid) After a bright beginning Andre Williams has the look of a plodder. Our hopes on O rest with Eli & our new potential superstar WR OBJ.

JPP & Big Hank are having stellar seasons on D & Prince is playing to a consistently good level at corner. However without Thurmond, McBride, DRC & horrible safety play I think Luck, Hilton & Co. could have a field day against us. All in all not terribly confident.

Looking forward to the Pats vs Broncos Sunday night. Hope Brady & Bellichek pull off the win (was going to say upset win but hardly the case when these two involved)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Seattle Seahawks

• Advertisement

New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers Hate picking the Saints on the road, but just can't pick the Panthers on form
    Cincinnati Bengals Bengals to start to look like a threat again (they aren't)
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Cleveland Browns Not much in this, home field advantage takes it for me
    Kansas City Chiefs Its arrowhead, its Jamal Charles, its the Jets
    Arizona Cardinals @ Dallas Cowboys Another good D to trouble the Cowboys, not sure on Romo's status yet but happy to pick
    San Diego Chargers @ Miami Dolphins Must win for the Chargers, I dont like backing teams crossing West to East coast though.
    Philadelphia Eagles @ Houston Texans Texans to cause an upset
    Washington Redskins @ Minnesota Vikings I'm trusting their D again
    St Louis Rams @ San Francisco 49ers Rams consecutive road game plus banged up, 49ers coming off a bye. It could be bloody
    Oakland Raiders @ Seattle Seahawks Should be comfortable enough
    New England Patriots If it is really cold I actually think the Broncos might do it (I think they are a better team) but I will stick to my team for it. Should be a close one either way
    Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers This could be very close, I just think the Ravens are better equipped to win it
    Indianapolis Colts @ New York Giants Colts are very unpredictable, but I think the Giants are banged up, and all over the place form wise

I may actually come back to a couple of them before game time, Ravens @ Steelers is one thats still turning over in my mind...The only thing I am very confident of in that is that the Unders will come in :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Kansas City Chiefs
    Minnesota Vikings
    New York Giants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Saints @ Panthers
    Jaguars @ Bengals
    Buccaneers @ Browns
    Jets @ Chiefs
    Cardinals @ Cowboys
    Chargers @ Dolphins
    Eagles @ Texans
    Redskins @ Vikings
    Rams @ 49ers
    Raiders @ Seahawks
    Broncos @ Patriots
    Ravens @ Steelers
    Colts @ Giants

Saints @ Panthers
    Jaguars @ Bengals
    Buccaneers @ Browns
    Chiefs
    Cardinals @ Cowboys
    Chargers @ Dolphins
    Eagles @ Texans
    Redskins @ Vikings
    Rams @ 49ers
    Raiders @ Seahawks
    Broncos @ Patriots
    Ravens @ Steelers
    Colts @ Giants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Haven't done it in a few weeks but will give predictions a go -

Seattle Seahawks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'll go with the Saints tonight, have €20 on them and the over. Panthers offensive line could struggle a lot tonight and though the Saints have a history of struggling badly on the road, they should also have a momentum/confidence boost after Sunday night where Jimmy Graham also looked back around 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Perfect conditions. Shoot out please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Seattle Seahawks

Game number 16, both are getting long in the tooth, so their aren't many games left in the NLF's greatest ever QB rivalry: Brady - Manning. I don't think we'll see anything close to it when they're gone :(. All these years after they first played and both are still top of their trade putting up masterful numbers this month. Right now the Broncos have probably one of the best defenses in the league and have a very well oiled offense that is well into its groove. Last Sunday, the Pats looked like they were getting their old their offensive machine back. But I haven't seen enough of it yet to be really convinced. Going in the right direction, but it probably needs a few more games to get really going. The Broncos have the best run defense in the league and the Pats can't stop the run. So I think the run game will pivotal in deciding this match up. And that's why I went with the Broncos win. On Sunday, Gronk looked like the 2010 Gronk that was totally unstoppable. And if he plays like that again, then I might have to revise the final outcome. But I'll be happy if T.J Ward can keep his tackling away from Gronk's knees. For now, the Broncos have just edged it in my decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Saints @ Panthers
    Jaguars @ Bengals
    Buccaneers @ Browns
    Chiefs
    Cardinals @ Cowboys
    Chargers @ Dolphins
    Eagles @ Texans
    Redskins @ Vikings
    Rams @ 49ers
    Raiders @ Seahawks
    Broncos @ Patriots
    Ravens @ Steelers
    Colts @ Giants

Disgusting finish to the opening drive, disgraceful not to come away with a Td let alone points. Then to turn it over? Im off to bed

• Advertisement

Saints very unlucky with the int there, the way the ball just popped up was freakish.

Please don't let this be yet another game this past week where I've got done on freak plays (and/or terrible calls). :mad:

And Graham's shoulder apparently reinjured. Lovely, just f***ing lovely...

Fecking didn't realise the game was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Seattle Seahawks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Love that the night games are kicking off so early TV now. Perfect conditions , I've had a wee wager on over 65 points , so i need tds early and often. Wishful thinking methinks.

Jesus Christ, another turnover by Brees

Edit: I am definitely going to bed this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Panthers need to capitalise on these turnovers to have a hope in this one

kryogen wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, another turnover by Brees

Edit: I am definitely going to bed this time!

I took a gamble selecting a Saints road win. I always do it every so often and I always regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Battle of the Ds tonight it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

What a lazy attempt at a catch. I'd say Cam is seething.

This is as strange a start to a game as I've seen in a while. Both look perfectly capable of moving the ball.. until they cross the halfway and just turn to mush.

Should have gune for under 10.5 points at this rate... an almost uniquely frustrating game for any of us who have the over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Not the worst 0-0 so far. More a case of defenses making the odd play than the offenses simply being ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Saints o-line is getting killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Dumb stuff from Newton, holding the ball right out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

just on the way home from the shop with a loaf of bread. this panthers team is dreadfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

That panthers o-line is horrible. Crumbling so easily against 4 man rushes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Panthers are a really hard team to figure out. When looking at this, you'd really wonder how they managed to comfortably beat the Lions earlier in the year. To be expected in the NFL I suppose

Pretty terrible looking defensive drive for the Panthers. Looked like they backed off all the way until the Saints got inside the 30.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Pretty terrible looking defensive drive for the Panthers. Looked like they backed off all the way until the Saints got inside the 30.
    At this rate, Rivera might be lucky to make it to the end of the year. There's a lot of talent on that team, including the all important QB spot, but they've just looked flat and frankly disinterested since very early on in the year.

• Advertisement

They lost a veteran leader in Steve Smith and it looks like it was a huge loss when you look at them now and also look at how well Smith has played with the Ravens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They also lost 3 starters from a good secondary last year, Munnerlyn and the 2 safeties. Main reason imo though is Cam's healthiness. They look so much more dangerous when Cam runs the ball regularly, as seen from the bengals game

So sick of that NFL Now ad on GP.

Sometimes you feel it's all about the GM and cap management unless you have an elite QB. Very hard to contend when you can't keep any of your players like the Panthers have, and then they lose one of their top performing players in Greg Hardy. Cam's good enough to win on a good team, but probably can't carry a roster like this to greatness.

Surely I can't be the only one who immediately thought "jump ball to Benjamin" when Newton began calling "Randy, Randy" on first down. :pac:

Benjamin really should have caught that on 2nd down, terrible drop.

Incredible run from Cam on 3rd for the TD! Who knows, maybe the overs bets are not COMPLETELY dead yet?

Between the numbers you have to make that catch.

Looked like a bit of a hold in the backfield, Newton though what a play.

Great run by Cam. Benjamin should've caught the preceding pass though.

The amount of times he's run tonight when you wouldn't even think of it. Thank god he's such a big guy with all of this running.

Cam looks like he could have done with easing off on the velocity, with one or two of his passes on that drive. But they got the TD so job done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement