Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 Year old boy dies in Waterville lake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very sad and this is nothing new it is happening to often these days.

Condolences to the family and friends and hope nobody else dies.

I have to ask where are these childrens parents.
    I heard one parent on the radio the other day going on that her child got a flesh eating virus from swimming in the royal canal.

Some proper education and responsibility from the parents would help.

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

To be fair, that's nonsense. You don't know the background or any details, kids do as kids have done since Adam and Eve, play about, often where adults don't think they shouldn't . One theory is the young lad was trying to rescue the girls.

It was a tragic accident and blaming parents at this stage is poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I heard one parent on the radio the other day going on that her child got a flesh eating virus from swimming in the royal canal.

R.I.P

According to someone I know he was walking in the park with his friend and saw the second girl in difficulty and went in to help her so if that is the case he is something of a hero in my eyes. Even if this turns out not to be the case having a go at his parents the day their son has died is in very bad taste and this is not the place. Someone here could very well know the boy or his family. RIP young man xx

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A tragic case of the rescuer getting into difficulty but saving the two young girls. Irish Mirror has it reported on here.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/heroic-thirteen-year-old-boy-dies-after-3734845

God Bless the young man is all I can say. Proud to have people like that in out area. Really upsetting news to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

R.I.P

You dont know the fact so dont slag his parents off.

Sounds like a good lad that tried helping others and paid with his life!!

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, enough of the personal insults and sniping.

This is a terrible tragedy and it isn't helped by comments about his parents, especially as there's a very real chance of some of his family reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

RIP. Tragedy, poor little guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Terrible news. I was walking home from work Thursday afternoon and there must have been about 15 - 20 kids in that lake and I just thought to myself that it was dodgy. I've seen all sorts of crap in it from glass bottles to all sorts of rubbish.

Not putting the blame entirely on parents but when I was walking by on Thursday there were definitely so of these kids parents there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, seriously, no more discussion about parents, what they did, what they didn't do or whatever. The fact is that a boy has died in tragic circumstances performing what appears to be a heroic act. Whether kids should be swimming in that lake and whether or not their parents should permit them to do so is a discussion for another time. As I already said, this is an upsetting time for this boy's family, they don't need to be upset any further by anything they might read here. Failure to adhere to this will result in a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

sad to hear of this event for sure. Feel real bad for the family.

I think this trend of kids swimming in rivers and lakes has grown over the last 2 years. I have noticed this happen a lot in the liffey (Locally) and other places. I cant help feel austerity it to blame for kids taking advantage of free local amenities, This happened 5 mins walk from the NAC where kids should be swimming, but can all familys afford to send their kids there these days?

RIP another Hero passes........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

By the way to everyone who has attacked me on here.

I had heard also that he tried to help my question was where were the girls guardians.

Mods feel free to delete my previous post as no upset was intended and I apologise if this has offended.

I am really annoyed and sad that this is happening so often and really hurts when you here someone especially so young been lost so tragically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Austerity has nothing to do with it. The youg lad, a member of our football club, got in to difficulty and unfortunately passed.

He did what many others did and what many others have done in going swimming on a nice day.

My mates and I did exactly the same over the years. We swam the Tolka, the canal, the quarry in Ballycoolin, strawberry beds etc - believe me it has been going on forever. We also went to Coolmine swimming pool at the same time but young lads do whaf young lads do and go with the crowd.

On this occasion the emergency services couldn't get to him in time. He was a really good kid and will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him. He was extremely popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

RIP brave little guy his parents must be heart broken and proudl.

Would be great to see primary schools teaching swimming and water safety. Knowing how to float on your back and to keep a cool head should be drilled into every kid

RIP brave little guy his parents must be heart broken and proudl.

Would be great to see primary schools teaching swimming and water safety. Knowing how to float on your back and to keep a cool head should be drilled into every kid

I agree totally about the floating on the back with a full breath and flip the feet to safety. Two hours worth of lessons could make a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The pictures in the Mirror article seem to indicate the life buoy was in place (as well as a no swimming sign). Correct use of a life buoy was something I was taught in a water safety course in primary school. Wonder if they still do water safety courses?

athtrasna wrote: »
    The pictures in the Mirror article seem to indicate the life buoy was in place (as well as a no swimming sign). Correct use of a life buoy was something I was taught in a water safety course in primary school. Wonder if they still do water safety courses?

Ricky disappeared before people realised he was not back on the grass. The life Buoy was of no use then - the sign is more of an attraction Unfortunatley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Brave young man. But so tragic.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Very Tragic - RIP. While it may not have helped in this case I would have to agree with the calls for more water safety training, preferably through schools as the cost of most pools in Dublin is pretty high if you have 3 or 4 kids in a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Water safety is taught as part of Aquatics in primary schools. (See here.) I did it when I was in primary school in the 90s. The problem is that not all schools are able to bring the students to a pool so that part of the curriculum is sometimes done in the classroom. (I know, ridiculous, but going to the pool costs money.) Obviously being able to put the learning into practice helps kids retain and understand the knowledge, but unfortunately that's not always possible. You'll also always have kids who will risk getting in the water no matter how many times they're taught about water safety, especially if it's not backed up at home.

Of course, not knowing what went on in this case, none of that may be relevant, but it certainly seems like the boy who died did so trying to help. Terribly sad.

• Advertisement

You might like to see photos of the lad since he joined us in 2007. He was born in 2001.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.577876252332768.1073741830.570616219725438

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

R.I.P. Ricky

I didn't know him personally but I have friends with kids who knew him and played on the team in Corduff with him and it seems he was an all round nice little boy. Such a tragic end to a short life.

chuck, well done to you and the lads in Corduff F.C. organising a guard of honour for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

There are water safety classes in the National Aquatic Centre every Monday evening at 7:30pm during the school term, see here for contact details. The course covers Safety Awards, Rescue Awards and Basic Life Support/CPR/use of AED. It's open to children from 12 years of age and up and is very worthwhile doing. As much as it pains me to say it, had the young guy who attempted the rescue completed the course, perhaps the outcome could have been very different. I have done the course and would recommend it to anyone (young or old)

If anyone would like some more information, just PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Book of condolences open for the young lad in the Corduff Sports Centre (just inside the entrance)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

Tragic loss of life. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Almost cried driving past the tribute at the park gate yesterday. Beautiful...Then tonight I passed the procession for Ricky on the Snugborough Road, drove home in floods of tears.

Ricky's removal to Corduff church is tonight at 6pm. Arrive early as it'll be very well attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just to let you know, there was a very well respected minute's silence in memory of Ricky at the Bohemians vs Athlone game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Oh dear, not another incident, this time a 5 year old in Tyrrelstown, heartbreaking....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0630/627510-child/

• Advertisement
Advertisement