Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tags for Panda bins?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,

we moved into a house here in D15 a few weeks back and set up the account with Panda for bin collection. I've seen a few threads on here about Panda services, but I'm still unsure if I need to get any kinda tags for the black bin or if they are chipped? Unfortunately the customer service department at Panda appears to be a little bit on the incompetent side to say the least. It took more than 3 weeks and hundreds of phone calls for the actual bins to be provided...and their website is unfortunately not very informative either...

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

https://panda.ie/household/fingal/general-information.html
    "Since 2006, Panda have utilised truck based computer systems which read an electronic chip within the wheelie bin. "

And how to make a payment -> https://panda.ie/make-a-payment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Thanks for this, I had seen the info on their website but got confused, because I read somewhere here on this forum from someone saying that he had noticed the price of bin tags had gone up when he purchased in local Spar, and that was only 3 months ago or so.

Thanks also for link to payment option, but won't pay anything before receiving a bill/invoice, which they informed me could take a couple of weeks as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

depends where you are. we still use bin tags for black bin collection. that's in portersgate, although we've just moved to castlefield at the weekend, but i assume it's the same around clonsilla as both the local spar and applegreen service station are still selling bin tags and our black bin doesn't get picked up without one (one fell off once in the last year due to the weather (or possibly kids) and they didn't take it.

i'll be fairly pissed off if they are charging me for pickups AND taking money for bin tags at the same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Green bin and Brown bin covered by the yearly/half yearly fee.

The black bin is covered by a tag, but as far as I understand it, the black bin's chip is correlated on collection against the tag so that if say for example, your neighbor robbed your tag then it would be cross referenced with their bin, your small bar coded slip that you retain will prove you did pay for collection.

This I assume. Does anyone know for sure if the actual purchased tag is also scanned on collection?

Ok, so tagging actually looks to be in order... I will probably just check with the neighbours to make sure. Thanks anyway, and here was me assuming that we live in a time and age when rubbish collection should be a straightforward, unified, hassle-free service ;-)

• Advertisement

5unflower wrote: »
    Ok, so tagging actually looks to be in order... I will probably just check with the neighbours to make sure. Thanks anyway, and here was me assuming that we live in a time and age when rubbish collection should be a straightforward, unified, hassle-free service ;-)

PS: I am only assuming, so do reply back here with what you find out thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

In Mulhuddart and no tags here. Bin is chipped and billed quarterly.

January wrote: »
    In Mulhuddart and no tags here. Bin is chipped and billed quarterly.

I had to pay the half yearly fee and that covers the green and brown bin. The tag is needed each time i put out a Black bin.

I had to pay the half yearly fee and that covers the green and brown bin. The tag is needed each time i put out a Black bin.
    same here.

i think the tags are about €8.50 each and i usually get 2-3 at a time, just to save the hassle of remembering i need one the night before.

also handy to have a reminder set on your phone the day before to allow you to get tags if you need to put out your black bin, but don't have a s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Same here, but I think that is the case with anyone who was with fingal/greyhound when the change over happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

In Mulhuddart & still using tags this end.
    Yea it's def better to buy a few at a time because occ of a Sunday night the Spar is sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Some on my road have the Panda account and dont need the tags. I pay the yearly fee and put tags on the bin when i put it out. The customer service at Panda have been very good so far with any queries ive had so no complaints with them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

no problems with Panda if you pay on time...otherwise,you can be with full bins for long time !
    I changed my cards recently and i had my account suspended.Called on monday morning 8'30am,paid with new card details and bin collected as the girl said will call the driver and update my situation !

Also,when asked for tags or chipped, been told that soon the tag system will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

As far as I know, any Fingal CoCo bin customers that were transferred to Panda when they bought the service (including me) still use the Fingal bins with just a Panda sticker attached, and need to use the cardboard tags. Any pre-existing Panda customers will have a chipped bin and don't need the tags. Panda told me that they would be rolling out chipped bins to all customers this year, but it doesn't look likely now. The tags are a pain and I'd be happy to get rid of them.

OP, if you already have a black bin you can check whether it's ex-Fingal (needing a tag) or supplied new from Panda (already chipped) - they look slightly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Didn't they not come around a few months ago and added a chip to all the Fingal ones just after the changeover ? There were 3 guys, two putting stickers on them all, the third had a bag of what looked like chips and a hammer and he whacked them under the lip of the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Didn't they not come around a few months ago and added a chip to all the Fingal ones just after the changeover ? There were 3 guys, two putting stickers on them all, the third had a bag of what looked like chips and a hammer and he whacked them under the lip of the bin.

Not that I'm aware of, I thought they just labelled the bins to show that the annual charge had been paid. I've being using the tags and haven't been charged per lift by Panda, so if there's a chip on the bin it isn't being used.

Will have to take a look at it when I go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

They did chip all the fingal bins about 3 months back and put hug big stickers on them. I took them off, they look awful and were slapped on all crooked.

Thanks for all your input guys, seems there are actually tag and no-tag customers, but I still haven't got around to actually confirming with Panda for my own account. The neighbour puts tags on the black bin, but they seem to have been with FCC before, like someone else on here said too. This explanation seems to make sense...

@Turbulent Bill: Regarding the actual bins, they were delivered by Panda after I set up the account a few weeks back, so I'm inclined to believe that they are chipped and all, even though there is nothing visible on them anywhere...

Today was green bin day anyway and it was emptied no bother, even though I still haven't received any invoice from them never mind payed anything :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sharrow wrote: »
    They did chip all the fingal bins about 3 months back and put hug big stickers on them. I took them off, they look awful and were slapped on all crooked.

Wow, such pride in your wheelie bins!!:D

I was definitely told earlier this year that my bin in Ongar would use scanning shortly but does not seem to be the case for my black bin. I'd rather that then legging it to the corner shop on Sunday evening looking for a tag 5 minutes before they close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

ThisRegard wrote: »

They did whack chips into my ex Fingal bin a while back and put the crooked stickers on too and I have to put a tag €8.75 on my bin too as well as the yearly charge,

On a side note Panda weren't supposed to put bin charges up in 2012 as agreed with Fingal in contract negotiations but have increased the fee from €8.00 to 8.75 so watch out for 2013 when they can do what they like with yearly fee's and bin tag rate's.

:(

• Advertisement

Just to follow up on this, I finally got around to confirming with Panda that indeed I do need to put a tag on the bin. Customer service gave me the expected explanation that they are in the process of putting chips/tags into the bins and will inform customers about the progress with this etc.

Not quite sure what the point is in still supplying old, non-chipped bins to new customers, and also why it seems to take forever to change the system, but I suppose this is a different story...I really can't complain about customer service as such, they are always very friendly on the phone.

So I'm off to the shop to buy a few tags :-)

we just moved house and when my wife called to register the change of address, it turned out that the bins that were there were not even in the system at all, so we are having to leave them out to be chipped, but they said it could be a week before it's done as a large number of their bins were burnt out over the halloween period and they are very busy trying to get them all replaced, so they might not be chipped for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

bin collection query for you guys

Im moving into Stonebridge Avenue in Clonsilla, Dublin 15, next month and want to set up bin collections for the house that I will live in.
    What options are most relaible and best priced company

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

baegan wrote: »
    bin collection query for you guys

Im moving into Stonebridge Avenue in Clonsilla, Dublin 15, next month and want to set up bin collections for the house that I will live in.
    What options are most relaible and best priced company

Thanks

As far as I know Panda are the only one providing bin collection in Stonebridge. They charge an annual fee on €110 and €9.75 per back bin collection. Have to say they are very reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Try Oxigen too, they are 20 euro per month for fortnightly pick ups of normal waste bin and recycling bin.

Advertisement