Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR meeting tomorrow. Please advice

Options
  • 15-09-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. A colleague (she is some kind of my second manager- unofficially) at work has been bullying and harrassing me in the last couple of months. I told my manager that I think I should speak to HR (I was a bit confused- for I do not really like to create troubles). He was obviously not very happy hearing this (team image,..). On the following day, I advised him (he actually asked me) that I would 'file a case' with HR, because I think this is the right thing to do. In hearing this, he promptly contacted HR (not very sure what he told them). Today I made an appointment with HR to see how they are progressing with my case. I am planning to tell HR that I do not want to report to her anymore , for she has been bullying me for a long period. My first question is how much detail should I give HR on this? My second question is should I also tell HR that because of 4 months of stress caused by her, I got also health issues, such as gastritis? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Be honest. Take notes. Don't sign anything.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Also you should be entitled to bring a union rep or a work colleague for support, if you so wish.
    Be factual and stick to the points, bring notes in if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Bring any physical evidence you have. Written or emails etc.
    If you have nothing physical do you have witnesses?
    If your illness is stress related can you get a doctor cert to prove?
    They will probably take notes and ask you to sign that this is what was discussed. You must get a copy.
    You requested outcome is not beyond possibility but be careful as I am sure she won't take to kindly to being called a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

Hi

You have two routes that you can go:

1- informal procedure: Once you detail the information to HR they will more than likely ask you to first try the informal route which would require you to speak to the perpetrator first and explain that their behavior is not acceptable. You can have a support person with you. Bullying or harassment is subjective to the victim and sometimes the perpetrator is not aware that their actions are not appropriate towards (in some cases) and this gives you the opportunity to explain how you feel and them the chance to explain themselves.

2 - Formal procedure: If you wish to bypass the informal procedure, you have tried the informal procedure with no success or after the informal procedure they continue with their inappropriate actions. This require you to document all details/information(signed) and then the perpetrator has to receive your written statement of the allegations against and given a chance to respond.

From here the decision of how it will be dealt with will be left with management and HR.

I wish you the best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

As above, clarify what the scope of the meeting is. Is it a full formal grievance meeting or is it an informal chat. Don;t go in heavy handed demanding anything. Take notes, see what they have to say first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

She's probably a "senior". And I think you made a mistake escalating to HR without giving your manager the opportunity to put it right.
    You didn't give us examples of the bullying or harassment, but for HR have some specific examples.

Advertisement