Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 months notice to leave

Options
  • 03-09-2015 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

A month is the norm I'm used to. I wouldn't count on two weeks anywhere but two months sounds excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tphase

if you're paid monthly then I think a month's notice is all that is legally required - but I could be wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tphase wrote: »
    if you're paid monthly then I think a month's notice is all that is legally required - but I could be wrong
    I'm sorry to say but you are; there is no legal connection between payment frequency and notice period as it's based on how long someone has been employed (specific table in the law) or agreement between both parties.

OP; two months is becoming more and more common but that does not mean that they will hold you to it in practice. I've found you can usually negotiate a bit on it if you have a bit of good will internally and if push come to shove you can leave early (though it may impact your chance of getting references from them in the future).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

But really can a company enforce the two months rule? I would worry about working for a company that has a two month rule, to me it means they have a high turnover because they may be a crappy employer. Especially if the job is entry level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

2 months for an entry level job is ridiculous. Employers trying to get away with what ever they cam. However I recently employed someone in an entry level job that was required to give 3 months notice to their current employer. Like you they felt like they had no other choice at the time.

Employers will wait for the right person, however you have to be confident that you are able to offer them no other candidate can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lux23 wrote: »
    But really can a company enforce the two months rule? I would worry about working for a company that has a two month rule, to me it means they have a high turnover because they may be a crappy employer. Especially if the job is entry level.
    Enforce it? Not really but good luck getting a good reference if you burn them. As I said this is where having a good relationship and rep. can usually help to get you out earlier even though there's a longer official notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

THe lenght of notice can often be linked to two factors.

(1) How long does it take to hire/induct a replacement.
    (2) How long or how much it costs to train to productivity.

1 Month is a norm, but 2 is far from a rare event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

It depends a lot on the industry in question. Even when I entered my first job after college it was on a three month notice period, currently I have four. On the other hand any other potential employer who I would talking to would have no issue with me working out my notice period. It is also the case that it cuts both ways in that I cannot be let go without the same notice period applying.

As to how it can be enforced, it's your industry reputation more than anything which is at stake. I actually would think twice about hiring someone myself who would be willing to burn there current employer with respect to notice period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

One month is the norm but two months is common for a senior position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

op i really wouldnt worry about it at all. if you do find something better just leave. what can they do about it? give them a couple of weeks notice and leave it at that. when your gone, thats their problem. two months is ridiculous. it just sounds like a very oppressive, controlling place to work. dont allow them to control you like this. i wish you well on your job hunting. keep looking. im sure it ll work out for you in the end.

im sure you're not alone but really dont allow them to control you like this. this is disgraceful behaviour from an employer. some employers really need to get over themselves. according the employer's handbook, controlling environments, make good obedient workers! just turn up for work every day, do your best, keep looking for something else, when that job comes around and you're absolutely guaranteed it, take it, give whatever notice you deem best and Auf Wiedersehen. they ll probably kick and scream, and throw their toys out of the pram, so what! are you still in canada? whats the work situation like there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Do you really want to take that risk for a low level low paid job?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Do you really want to take that risk for a low level low paid job?

whats the risk?

thats understandable. im actually very worried for our labour laws and rights. ireland has gone back very far in relation to these in the last few years. employees are under incredible pressure at the moment and many employers are laughing to the bank because of it. we re in desperate need of a union movement here to balance the work place. its too employer at the moment. i personally think two weeks is enough but it does really depend on the job and industry. i wouldnt give anymore than a month. i really wouldnt allow it to bother me but i guess its easy for me to say that

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thats understandable. im actually very worried for our labour laws and rights. ireland has gone back very far in relation to these in the last few years. employees are under incredible pressure at the moment and many employers are laughing to the bank because of it. we re in desperate need of a union movement here to balance the work place. its too employer at the moment. i personally think two weeks is enough but it does really depend on the job and industry. i wouldnt give anymore than a month. i really wouldnt allow it to bother me but i guess its easy for me to say that

It does depend on the job and industry. In mine two weeks would not be enough for a comfortable handover especially if the next person is not hired yet. In a junior role you could be gone in a week.. but your notice from them could be shorter too.

My American friends marvel at our one months notice as they can be let go overnight with the passwords changed and their stuff in the box next morning.

mhge wrote: »
    My American friends marvel at our one months notice as they can be let go overnight with the passwords changed and their stuff in the box next morning.

....and this is where i dont want ireland to go but large companies are doing their best to get it there. what a terrifying experience for somebody and their family to be let go with little or no warning. thank god we have some sort of labour laws and union backing in this country

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and this is where i dont want ireland to go but large companies are doing their best to get it there. what a terrifying experience for somebody and their family to be let go with little or no warning. thank god we have some sort of labour laws and union backing in this country

In my experience longer notice tends to benefit and protect employees; I've never seen an employee being refused to negotiate their notice when leaving...

• Advertisement
Advertisement