Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving while disqualified

Options
  • 02-07-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hello,
    i've been asked to move this thread to here.
    my boyfriend was recently drink driving disqualified for 2 years.
    he has
    acquired a false licence and continues to drivesaying that he won't be caught because he stays inside the speed limits and his car is taxed and insured until next year.

i have looked on the internet and seen that others have been caught driving while banned and gone to prison.

how can i persuade him that this is stupid.

why is there no database where all disqualified drivers are registered, as his attitude is 'if no one knows, then no one can find out'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

He will be fine right up until someone recognizes him , reports him and he goes to jail...

he also isn't insured, so if he injures someone he will loose everything... and go to jail of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If he is foolish enough to try it, let him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Tell him if the car is caught on speed camera's, the licence plate just has to be checked by one diligent guard who'll be able to drag up it's file, the fact it's been associated with a 2 year ban will be brought up, if there's no other insured drivers, questions will be asked.

I don't know if any of that is true, but it'd scare the bejesus out of me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

he's just making things worse, really, if he's got himself a false license (sp) the police aren't gonna look too kindly on that :/
    what if he rearended someone in traffic, or someone hit him ,or something even stupidly minor happened, even through no fault of his own? all kinds of things can happen that he can't plan for, that can get him caught out and in a hwol lot more trouble than he already was.
    all you can do is try and drive these points into his skull, i really hope he's the cop on to listen to you :)

and frankly, if he was drink driving he deserves to be taken off the road. it's so freaking irresponsible i can't fathom how people are so dumb!

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

RedXIV wrote: »
    Tell him if the car is caught on speed camera's, the licence plate just has to be checked by one diligent guard who'll be able to drag up it's file, the fact it's been associated with a 2 year ban will be brought up, if there's no other insured drivers, questions will be asked.

I don't know if any of that is true, but it'd scare the bejesus out of me :D

Dooooooo that^^^^^^:D... I like your thinking RedXIV!

If he still won't listen to you, it's his own stupid fault if he gets in trouble! Sorry I can't give you any more advice!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would like to point out, he is not insured. You need a valid drivers license to be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

rebecca m wrote: »
    hello,
    i've been asked to move this thread to here.
    my boyfriend was recently drink driving disqualified for 2 years.
    he has acquired a false licence and continues to drive saying that he won't be caught because he stays inside the speed limits and his car is taxed and insured until next year.

i have looked on the internet and seen that others have been caught driving while banned and gone to prison.

how can i persuade him that this is stupid.

why is there no database where all disqualified drivers are registered, as his attitude is 'if no one knows, then no one can find out'.

If he's doing things that stupid, what I'd be doing is getting as far away as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rebecca m

i don't know. he seems to think he has all the angles covered.
    i will not get in the car with him but he drives around like captain sensible he assures me. driving within the speed limits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm sure Insurance companies can compare court records with their own.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

i don't know. he seems to think he has all the angles covered.
    i will not get in the car with him but he drives around like captain sensible he assures me. driving within the speed limits etc.

All it takes is a speed camera or random check to get busted. I wouldn't let him sweet talk me into getting in the car with him, just because he believes he's got the system figured out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

OP your boyfriend is very silly indeed. Not only is driving without a licence and therefore with no insurance he will also be committing fraud if he ever produces his licence to a guard. If he caught he may go to prison for the no insurance but for fraud he will most definitely go to jail.

If he ever applies for a new job he may be vetted by that company for previous convictions. It used to be that traffic convictions were excluded, not so sure now but how will a conviction for fraud appear to that new company?

Do what it takes to stop him driving. Take his keys, sell his car, tell his family etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[WoW]

that is true red ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

he drives around like captain sensible he assures me. driving within the speed limits etc.
    That's not much good if someone else causes an accident and a routine check is made on both drivers.

You stated (in the other locked thread) that you live in a small town and no one knows. You'd be surprised. Some people in small towns make it their business to know everything. You may just not know that they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

[WoW] wrote: »
    that is true red ;)

Really? man i'm good :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

TheNog wrote: »
    ..... he will also be committing fraud if he ever produces his licence to a guard. If he caught he may go to prison for the no insurance but for fraud he will most definitely go to jail.
    Iirc that's likely to be 2 charges - Fraud for the false/forged licence and Utterance for using it. (ianal)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

Foolish man, your bf is. Of course there is a register. The Gardai have it on file, the ordinary Joe Soap just doesn't know about it. It is on their database, encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

What's 2 years disqualified now compared to a much longer jail sentence? How can he be so stupid? It makes me so angry that a lunatic like this uses the road. He was banned for a reason - he should face up to his actions now like an adult.
    You say he is 'captain sensible' when you are in the car with him, but what about if he causes an accident and, God forbid, kills or seriously injures you or someone else? If you live in a small village, it could likely be someone ye know or worse are related to, or who knows it could be me or a member of my family or someone else equally blameless here but just had the misfortune to be sharing the road with someone so reckless. How would you feel then?
    If I were you, I would tell a family member or friend he will listen to. Because, I'm sorry to say it, but this @sshole obviously doesn't listen to you. I am truly sorry that you find yourself in this difficult position but you should really do the right thing here seeing as he won't. You could just be saving him - and others - a whole lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wow I'm with cailin on this one, he has to have the balls to take responsibility for himself and others. If he can't do that then you are in big trouble. That's not a statement, it's a fact!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hope he gets caught soon before he hits some innocent motorist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tell him you'll leave him if he doesn't wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hmm...well, if he get's drunk again, drives, has an accident, breaks someones neck, he will be sued for millions, will have no insurance so will loose every worldly possesion, but that wont matter as he will spend a considerable amount of time in jail.

On the other hand, he might just be stopped on a Tuesday afternoon at a routine garda checkpoint, notice his licence is fake (or do a spot check on thereg plate, licence or non-exsitence insurance) and will see he's disqualified and he will go to prison (anywhere up to a year I would imagine).

Tell him he's an idiot, by a wheel clamp and get him a bike. You'd be doing him a massive favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Various scenarios of how he could be caught have already been listed and there is also the real possibility that there will be garda checkpoints over the next few months where they will want to see your licence.

OP, your bf is an a55hole. Sorry, but IMO this is black and white. He was drink driving - something I have zero tolerance for and before anyone says it I'm from the country so I know how hard it is to get lifts home from the pub etc. So from that you can see that he has no regard for other road users or tthe general public.

He gets caught and is punished appropriately and what does he do? Gets a fake licence and is now driving illegally.

I hope he gets caught and the judge throws the book at him. He will get years in prison if he's caught because he is showing a complete and utter contempt for the law and I'd assume that any judge would gladly make an example of him. Also, his drink driving conviction may affect his employment prospects but being caught driving while disqualified he will pretty much be unemployable as I'd say very few employers would want someone like that in their company.

OP, I'd say you'd want to ask yourself if this is the type of guy you really want in your life. Remember if you're in the car and he has an accident you're not insured. I'd have absolutely no respect for someone like that and I certainly wouldn't date them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Doesn't matter how good a driver he thinks he is, if somebody else crashes into him he's finished even if it's their fault as the Guards will ask for driving licences. If he's stupid enough to keep driving then he's probably better off doing it with no licence rather than none because a judge would NOT look favourably on the fact he went to the trouble of getting a false licence and I reckon he could well be looking at jail. I'd imagine some of the people on the Garda forum in here can give a better insight than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I have a story to tell about my own personal experience.

My partner was caught driving with no insurance and tax - he was summonsed to court but never went. Never heard anything. Fast forward roughly a year from the court date and he is driving along a local road. On a straight stretch of road, there is a set of temporary traffic lights. Just behind where he is stopped, there is a turn onto the road. So himself, my friend and I see there is no traffic coming the other way and he drives on. Just as he does, a garda car come out of the turn (perfect timing - this is a tiny village like). Garda stops him, takes licence, reg etc. Partner still has no tax. Says he will let him off for jumping the lights - but to get the tax immediately - partners says ok.................about 2 months later partner looses wallet.

He is at work and I am off for a week so he asks me if I can go in to tax/licence office to get a new licence for him. Off I go with €10 and 2 photos PLUS a signed form from the Garda saying that he "lost" his licence.

I go in. The woman looks him up and it turns out that he was banned off the road for 1 year (for the no insurance). I rang him. He hadnt a clue. Noone had taken his licence off him. I swear he worked for a living at that time as a courier. I swear. By the time he went in to get a new licence, there was only 1 month left on his ban. He had being paying insurance and everything. Got that new licence form signed by the gardai, got caught jumping a light and not one garda copped on what was going on.

I dont condone what your boyfriend is doing, but I know what it feels like. Yes, I was blue in the face from telling BF that he needed to pay tax etc. He is fine now. He is driving on an endorsed licence for 3 years and recently got a new car WITH (hurrah) tax and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why are you still the girlfriend of a man who knowingly went out to murder people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ask him a simple question....how would he feel if a family member or someone he loved got hit and seriously hurt by an uninsured disqualified driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Slightly off-topic but still relevant i think. I lost my brother in a road accident slightly more than a year and a half ago. It was a pure accident, no drink, no speed and he wasn't driving, just a front seat passenger. The guy drving didn't know the road and drove across an intersection. And he was fully taxed, insured and legal.

I bring it up because it illustrates that you can be seriously hurt or killed on the roads through no fault of your own. Your BF may now be driving like Captain Slow but that makes no difference. My brother wasn't even behind the wheel. But because people are imperfect accidents happen. If your fella is involved in an accident, even as the victim, given the fact he is breaking the law right now he WILL have the book thrown at him and imho rightly so. :mad:

As an aside, why someone wold be so, so stupid as to drink and drive and increase their risk of death and injury is beyond me. Your boyfriends actions in continuing to drive after being disqualified show he has utterly no regard for the potential damage he could have done and may still do. Some people might say my response is OTT but to me, as someone who knows what its like to pick out a coffin for somone who has been part of my life for 28 years your bf actions really feel like a kick in the teeth. Losing somone you love in such a pointless, stupid and meaningless way as a road accident is utter agony. Anyone who acts in a way that makes this kind of outcome more likely for their or another persons family is the lowest of the low.

Your BF has some serious growing up to do. I hope he sees sense.
    Best of luck with him OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

dellas1979 wrote: »
    I have a story to tell about my own personal experience.

My partner was caught driving with no insurance and tax - he was summonsed to court but never went. Never heard anything. Fast forward roughly a year from the court date and he is driving along a local road. On a straight stretch of road, there is a set of temporary traffic lights. Just behind where he is stopped, there is a turn onto the road. So himself, my friend and I see there is no traffic coming the other way and he drives on. Just as he does, a garda car come out of the turn (perfect timing - this is a tiny village like). Garda stops him, takes licence, reg etc. Partner still has no tax. Says he will let him off for jumping the lights - but to get the tax immediately - partners says ok.................about 2 months later partner looses wallet.

He is at work and I am off for a week so he asks me if I can go in to tax/licence office to get a new licence for him. Off I go with €10 and 2 photos PLUS a signed form from the Garda saying that he "lost" his licence.

I go in. The woman looks him up and it turns out that he was banned off the road for 1 year (for the no insurance). I rang him. He hadnt a clue. Noone had taken his licence off him. I swear he worked for a living at that time as a courier. I swear. By the time he went in to get a new licence, there was only 1 month left on his ban. He had being paying insurance and everything. Got that new licence form signed by the gardai, got caught jumping a light and not one garda copped on what was going on.

I dont condone what your boyfriend is doing, but I know what it feels like. Yes, I was blue in the face from telling BF that he needed to pay tax etc. He is fine now. He is driving on an endorsed licence for 3 years and recently got a new car WITH (hurrah) tax and everything.

Yeah, but he's still a complete and utter pikey scumbag.

Not paying tax, no insurance, not bothering to go to court, breaking red lights (and idiots too thinking there was no one coming.....except for a fu*kin garda car! lol), driving while banned....a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e scumbag you're going out with I'm afraid.

That's just a blatent "couldn't give a fu*k" attitude, which I'm sure he had a good gloat to his mates in the pub about how he fu*ked up the law and gave two fingers to the court and got away scot free...except gladly people with this attitude always get theirs in the end and he will....at some point.

It's just a shame the gard didn't bother checking what he was signing or he'd be in jail now and rightly so. The fact he was too stupid to even check what happened with his court case and continued to drive AND EVEN SENT HIS DETAILS into a garda station, when he has skipped court, doubt they just "forgot about it" and to sign details proving he's still driving and, for all he knows, there's a warrant out for him for failing to appear in court tells me this bright spark will go far in life. (luckily for him the judge just issued the ban in his absence, as this is a criminal issue he could have very easily issued a warrant to appear before the courts...but then if a judge did that for every scummer who doesn't show up for court we'd have no gaurds left to patroll the streets...nice contribution to soceity there bud.)

It's such a stupid selfish attitude, the drink driving or the no insurance and it drives me mad...any kind of accident and it might not even be your fault, you can ruin someones life if you don't have insurance to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Your boyfriend is on borrowed time.
    Does he need this car for work? Is it absolutely essential to his life that he drives??

If he is just cruising around for the heck of it and feeling like a clever boy showing two fingers to the world then I would seriously wonder why you are with him. Stupid stupid attitiude - he needs to get a reality check, grow up and be a man and admit his mistke, accept his ban and learn from it like any self respecting person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

You need to tell him to stop driving or you're out the gap. If he can't stop then you do not want to be with this moron. If he hits somebody he will be broke, imprisoned and absolutely loathed by his victims. People are not stupid - they will know full well that you knew he was driving while banned and you will be as guilty as he is in their eyes for not stopping him and they will be dead right. I hope he gets caught before he hurts somebody.

Advertisement