Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf mk 7 - high mileage

• 09-02-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at buying a used 131 VW Golf mk 7. It's a 1.4 TSI manual with highline trim level.

It ticks all my boxes, however it's got 83,000km after 3 years and is being sold at €18,995, which seems very high to me.

I don't know enough about this engine to know if that's an "Avoid!" or "Tread carefully". I also don't know who the previous owner was, however it looks in excellent condition from the photos. Clean interior, no kerbing on the alloys.

I thought I'd ask for advice from more knowledgeable people.

I'd be doing 5-8,000km a year, I cycle most places but I'd still like something nice to drive when I do drive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

That's not high mileage, a little higher than normal but certainly nothing remotely approaching high, even on a three year old car. A family member had a high line one until very recently and it was faultless. That engine is not related to the older versions you hear various horror stories about.

If you like the car go for it - they're a nice drive and with your mileage it will be below average mileage for its age in a couple of years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Couldn't put you off, just try haggle the price and check the usual things like service history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think people see 83,000 and automatically think it's high irrespective of it being km or miles. It's about 17,500 miles per year which is above average for a petrol car but just make sure it has a good service history and evidence of regular oil changes. Use the above average mileage as a bargaining tool with the dealer on the price.

Given you do tiny annual mileage, by the time you go to sell it on the mileage will more than likely be gone from above average to below average. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It's nothing even approaching high mileage. If it's well looked after its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I depends on what value you put on having the 1.4 over the 1.2 and having high line over a lower spec,
    On the face of it it looks expensive, but these are very expensive new. People still buy them.
    Mileage is a bit high at 17,000 miles a year, but you'll offset that with your low mileage. It certainly doesn't mean the car is run ragged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement