Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning Engagement Ring

• 04-07-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Going Unreged for this,

Just got given back the engagement ring from my ex-fiancee the other night, I have it in the box just looking at me for the last few nights and I'm just wondering what do I do with it??

Do I give it back to the shop, do they take them back or what is the way to go! I just can't bear looking at it. I feel so sick that the engagement is over let alone having to look at it in its box, when it should be on the finger of the girl I love!!

(sorry didn't want to post this in weddings page as don't want to depress them, but if I'm in the wrong section feel free to move me)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

**** man, harsh one. Sorry to hear that :(

Go back to the shop and return it. Get it out of your sight. The last thing you need is it staring at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

In ruins wrote: »
    Hi Going Unreged for this,

Just got given back the engagement ring from my ex-fiancee the other night, I have it in the box just looking at me for the last few nights and I'm just wondering what do I do with it??

Do I give it back to the shop, do they take them back or what is the way to go! I just can't bear looking at it. I feel so sick that the engagement is over let alone having to look at it in its box, when it should be on the finger of the girl I love!!

(sorry didn't want to post this in weddings page as don't want to depress them, but if I'm in the wrong section feel free to move me)

Firstly i would like to say how sorry i am that this has happened to you. It is a terrible thing that i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.

To be honest i dont think that the shop would take it back as it isnt new anymore.(well did you just propose and she didnt accept or was it a case that the engagement came to an end) if it was never worn the shop will take it back, if not, you could sell it to a pawn shop but you wouldnt get near the value of what you paid for it. Thats my opinion and i will stand corrected.

Are you sure it is definitely over - is there anyway of you getting back together? just something you would need to think of before passing on the ring!

Good luck to you and i hope you can find a way to move on from this and try to love again. Everything happens for a reason.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Aw, that's terrible! You poor thing. How long did she have it? I'm not sure that shops will just take them back, at least not for the original price anyway.

Why don't you ring the jewellers first and see what their policy is? Might be less painful finding out over the phone first before actually showing up with it.

If not I'm sure there's a pawn shop you can take it too - or e-bay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Op - so sorry to hear that this has happened to you

I don't think that the shop would take it back, though it's worth a try, I think they'd find it hard to sell on though...........pawning is terrible cos you'll get absolutely screwed for it's value...........if it's definitely over though, I'd get rid.........perhaps sell it in the local papers? Or donate it to me, I'd love to meet someone that would buy me a diamond;)

Keep the faith though - they say time heals all wounds, I've been there, it doesn't, it just gets easier to bear........

oohoohooh, pookie's right - ebay is defo the way to go - make sure you have all your certs, etc.........it'll be snapped up, or how about an auction house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

yeah ebay it..... Sorry to hear that you are so upset....it is a fairly significant piece...

maybe afterwards donate the money to charity or something...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I used to work in a jewellers, you are not the only person this has happened to. I saw a few guys come back with rings. Our policy was not to take them back, unfortunately.

Id recommend reselling through a secondhand jewellery shop, ebay etc. But s/h jewellery is hard to shift. You certainly wont get what you paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Storm_rages

Op .. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Go back to the shop, they may take it back or they may offer you a credit note... if not why not auction it.. There are some jewellery auctioneers in Dublin (and most don't charge you to get the ring valued).. i have some numbers if you want to PM me...

Mods, don't remove this, I've a feeling OP needs a bit of cheering up - have a look at this and then reflect on who needs help more!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPymk3vZoU

Mods, be gentle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys thanks for your msgs....Never thought of ebay, I think the shop has a no return policy.

Jst to be fair on the girl it was my fault the engagement ended I did't the worst thing any guy cud do to the girl he loved, and I dont know why, hindsight is a wonderful thing if only u can have it before!!

She has told me she will never be able to wear the ring again as it is jst a circle of lies and it has lost its sparkle...and so have we

the ring is only 3mths old.....still looks like new - hopefully someone will find some happiness out of it somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem with this is not that the ring is old - good jewellery doesn't really lose its value over time, it's that jewellers find second-hand engagement rings in particular very difficult to shift for various reasons - superstition, the wish to have a "personal" ring, and so forth.

I'd say Ebay is definitely your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Hey,

Hard luck mate. A terrible lesson learnt. Ebay the way to go. Some jewellers do second hand gear. There's one at the back of Grafton St I know of. Check them out.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Hey man, sorry to hear bout that. You can sell your ring on this site and also have a vent http://www.exboyfriendjewelry.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

In ruins2 wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for your msgs....Never thought of ebay, I think the shop has a no return policy.

Jst to be fair on the girl it was my fault the engagement ended I did't the worst thing any guy cud do to the girl he loved, and I dont know why, hindsight is a wonderful thing if only u can have it before!!

She has told me she will never be able to wear the ring again as it is jst a circle of lies and it has lost its sparkle...and so have we

the ring is only 3mths old.....still looks like new - hopefully someone will find some happiness out of it somewhere

If you are sure it's over, yes get rid of it. Whatever you do that, interact via email. If you have to ring and speak to shops, pawn shops, etc and give them the reason why you are selling it, it might be too tough to have to run through the stroy face to face or voice to voice. Do it by e-mail.

If you are not happy with the price, consider donating it to a good charity.

Maybe just put it away for the time being, until you feel up to removing it and are 100% sure it's not going to be.

You have my sympathies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sell it and use the money to go away for a few days on holiday and get laid.

Advertisement