Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloss vs Satin paint and which brand

Options
  • 03-01-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Need some help choosing paint for interior woodwork.

Firstly: knots are starting to show through paint. Will ordinary knotting solution work over existing paint or would something like Zinsser bin primer be better to stop knots coming through again.

Secondly: I have quite a few internal doors to paint and I cant face sanding them all. Will ESP surface primer work well instead of sanding?

Thirdly: I cant decide on Gloss or Satin paint. The new water based paints have me confused. I painted our previous house about 8 years ago and I did some skirting boards in Satin and they are still white whereas anything I did with gloss are now yellow.
    But with the new paints I am not sure if the same would apply. Which stays whiter for longer, and which brand is better and which to avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hey guys. Need some help choosing paint for interior woodwork.

Firstly: knots are starting to show through paint. Will ordinary knotting solution work over existing paint or would something like Zinsser bin primer be better to stop knots coming through again.

Secondly: I have quite a few internal doors to paint and I cant face sanding them all. Will ESP surface primer work well instead of sanding?

Thirdly: I cant decide on Gloss or Satin paint. The new water based paints have me confused. I painted our previous house about 8 years ago and I did some skirting boards in Satin and they are still white whereas anything I did with gloss are now yellow.
    But with the new paints I am not sure if the same would apply. Which stays whiter for longer, and which brand is better and which to avoid.

1: bin primer all the way.

2: can't help you, I always sand.

3: personally, satinwood/eggshell always, I find the new water based paints very good, and much easier for cleanup.

I have been using dulux easycare satinwood and am very pleased with it.

I used to swear by farrow and ball oil based but they aren't as good as they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

monkeynuz wrote: »
    1: bin primer all the way.

2: can't help you, I always sand.

3: personally, satinwood/eggshell always, I find the new water based paints very good, and much easier for cleanup.

I have been using dulux easycare satinwood and am very pleased with it.

I used to swear by farrow and ball oil based but they aren't as good as they were.

I agree monkeynuz. If you are using bin primer make sure its the shellac based primer. You don't have to sand all the wood work right back you just have to key the surface. When I say key I mean I mean break the gloss so the new coat of paint has something to grip onto.
    Water based paints are a lot easier to use but they have drawbacks. firstly you tend to get more brush strokes in a water based eggshell, satin etc, V's oil, secondly they can take longer to cure properly, sometimes up to a week. Thirdly water based isn't as durable as oil based. It tends to chip a lot easier than oil based.
    True to say these water based paints are getting better all the time and likewise the oil based are becoming worse due to paint companies trying to lower the VOC levels in the paint. At the moment my personal preference is still for using oil based finishes on woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

At the moment my personal preference is still for using oil based finishes on woodwork.

+1

Its generally true of a whole host of products: if they don't contain life-damaging chemicals then they're no good at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I find oil based paint great for woodwork, i recently painted all my doors high gloss white and they turned out great, much tougher and easier to keep clean with kids around too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I stock one of these new water based ones and using that type of thing would save on having to sand all the doors you could just paint straight over the top so would save a lot of the hassle of sanding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭multifunction

Light sand to remove any bumps and give a key.Wipe with white spirit.Spot prime the knots with BIN.Use Colortrend water based undercoat and satin/gloss.I find this an excellent product no smell and hard wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Thanks for all rhe advice. I should be finished by next xmas.

Advertisement