Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy Builder

• 29-12-2013 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33

Hi, I got an extension and renovation work on my house. I didn't have a huge budget so I did a mainly cash build with no contract. More fool me. It turns out builder took money off me for work that wasn't done and the work that was done is looking not up to scratch. There was rewire and replumbing involved as well as plastering, carpentry and new kitchen. I've a very sad face about the kitchen and no certs for the plumbing or electricians work, although ESB had to sign off on the electrical work because there was a meter moved. I still have a very small amount outstanding to the builder so I'm cancelling all cheques. Washing machine isn't working, bathroom is leaking and other work isn't finished that I paid for and builder is not answering phone. Who should I get to check that the work that was done won't kill me and is there anything else I can do to get builder to rectify work. I'm a single mother so was probably easy to take advantage of :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

nabanoga wrote: »
    Hi, I got an extension and renovation work on my house. I didn't have a huge budget so I did a mainly cash build with no contract. More fool me. It turns out builder took money off me for work that wasn't done and the work that was done is looking not up to scratch. There was rewire and replumbing involved as well as plastering, carpentry and new kitchen. I've a very sad face about the kitchen and no certs for the plumbing or electricians work, although ESB had to sign off on the electrical work because there was a meter moved. I still have a very small amount outstanding to the builder so I'm cancelling all cheques. Washing machine isn't working, bathroom is leaking and other work isn't finished that I paid for and builder is not answering phone. Who should I get to check that the work that was done won't kill me and is there anything else I can do to get builder to rectify work. I'm a single mother so was probably easy to take advantage of :(

Where are you based

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Go to a solicitor immediately.

Take photos of everything.

You will probably have to hire an engineer to survey the work already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 nabanoga

Kildare based. Thanks for the help. Will take pictures and contact solicitor - I didn't think that was an option as I don't have contract. Haven't got reply back from builder since before Christmas now. I will definitely look to get an engineer to check everything out, I would be nervous now about the standard of the building work. At least it is a lesson learned, I really thought bad builders wouldn't survive the recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Kildare based. Thanks for the help. Will take pictures and contact solicitor - I didn't think that was an option as I don't have contract. Haven't got reply back from builder since before Christmas now. I will definitely look to get an engineer to check everything out, I would be nervous now about the standard of the building work. At least it is a lesson learned, I really thought bad builders wouldn't survive the recession!
    Hiring solicitors, engineers, surveyors will be costly, im not sure will you have a case since you paid in cash, no paper trail. A good reputable builder will give you excellent review of the building for a fraction of the cost of engineers and surveyors, keep away from the solicitor until you get a review of the state of the building work first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

if there was meter moved there was a cert issued

reci or ecssa should be able to sort it out if you haven't got a copy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A "cash" deal sounds like one of those where "If you pay cash we won't add VAT." If that is the case then you are on dangerous grounds going to law since that law expects the state to get it's cut. I would (belatedly) advise keeping well away from such contractors. Sometimes, sadly, it is better to hire a registered professional who has a proper level of insurance, and bite the bullet of paying the government for something it played no part in. At least you have a recompense if there is a later problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ART6 wrote: »
    A "cash" deal sounds like one of those where "If you pay cash we won't add VAT." If that is the case then you are on dangerous grounds going to law since that law expects the state to get it's cut. I would (belatedly) advise keeping well away from such contractors. Sometimes, sadly, it is better to hire a registered professional who has a proper level of insurance, and bite the bullet of paying the government for something it played no part in. At least you have a recompense if there is a later problem.

But do you have comeback?

Homebond washed there hands of all the pyrite cases.

Look at what went on with priory hall.

Seems the customer is on there own when things go tits up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Ask a solicitor for advice.
    Small claims court is cheap and an option.
    Its not your fault that builder looked to be paid in cash and hasn't yet given you a receipt and gaurantee yet, in writing.

If you know what I'm saying.

You asked and paid for a good job in good faith.

But you did slip up, which people have to learn the hard way I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I'm a single mother
    What does that have to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

No Pants wrote: »

Nothing.
    That's not the topic,

She got riped off and sliped up with her handeling of the job and is only looking for our mixed advice and opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

ART6 wrote: »

Why would the client be on dangerous ground? It is not up the client to ensure that the builder is tax compliant, that's for the builder to ensure! You pay cash to nearly every shop you go into are you expected to make sure the shop is paying VAT?

The poor Woman has enough things to be worried about without you adding to it!

No Pants wrote: »

She is simply pointing out that she feels she was taken advantage of because she is on her own. It is a valid point because unfortunately many builders do take advantage of single women, elderly people, etc, etc because they think they won't have a clue as to whether they are doing a decent job or not so they cut as many corners as they can. It is a rotten, horrible, nasty thing to do to a woman on her own (with at least one child depending on her).

I sincerely hope he gets all he deserves!!!:mad:

Below is the advice given by European Consumer Centre Ireland on what to do in these situations...

If there is a problem with a home improvement of building project in your property we suggest the following:

*Make an official complaint to the tradesman or builder in writing. Send it by registered mail if necessary as it provides proof of delivery. Include copies of any contract, receipts, delivery notes, quotations, plans and any other documentation that supports your claim.
    *Ask for the situation to be corrected (know your rights in this case).
    Record a log of all subsequent conversations and correspondence on the matter
    *If you fail to receive a satisfactory resolution, report the tradesman / builder in question to the relevant regulatory bodies, trade associations and onlinetradesmen.ie if relevant.
    If required hire an appropriate professional (e.g surveyor or engineer) to create a report on the situation to back up your claims.

Full article is here,... http://www.onlinetradesmen.ie/PropertyOwners/ConsumerRights/tabid/401/Default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Because no contract was involved it might be hard to have any legal ground.... you never signed anything to say this builder would complete a certain amount of work to a safe standard for a certain amount.... paying cash and doing things on the cheap are always risky.....

When people do things on the cheap it gives the rest of us a bad name.... you need to think to yourself "why are they so much cheaper than others?". The people charging more for a job aren't doing so to rip you off, they will usually come out with the same profit as the builder who is a lot cheaper (or even less profit) but they will do things properly, be paying tax, have relevant insurance and certs for the work they are doing. The premium often added is for their over heads which in turn benefit you as the consumer. Paying that little bit extra and adding a "paper trail" might have been what you needed so if the builder did F*&^ up or do a runner you had ground to stand on.

Advertisement