Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy to assemble garden shed?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I was wondering could someone recommend me a good 6X6 shed that is easy enough to assemble and didn't cost too much? any advise greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

Hey, can't advise you on an easy to assemble shed. Can tell you what not to get though. I picked up a metal garden shed. They told me it was an easy assembly, maybe 2-3 hours. Yeah right, maybe for a team of engineers. It took us a couple of days to put it together. If you like mechano and have a lot of time on your hands then I reckon this is for you - http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/storage-units/2029077. To be fair its a good shed but I wouldn't buy one again unless somebody else was putting it together for me.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Hey, can't advise you on an easy to assemble shed. Can tell you what not to get though. I picked up a metal garden shed. They told me it was an easy assembly, maybe 2-3 hours. Yeah right, maybe for a team of engineers. It took us a couple of days to put it together. If you like mechano and have a lot of time on your hands then I reckon this is for you - http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/storage-units/2029077. To be fair its a good shed but I wouldn't buy one again unless somebody else was putting it together for me.

Good luck!

I had bought that shed before reading your post. Now I'm really looking forward to assembling it :D

I had bought that shed before reading your post. Now I'm really looking forward to assembling it :D

No way! Typical. Well it is a good shed, and you'll be happy with it when its finished. Just make sure to have at least one other person help you, two would be better. Its really important to make sure the base is square, if its even slightly out you'll have a lot of hassle later on getting the roof right. Make sure you've a good screw gun and don't attempt to build it if its even slightly windy. The walls act like ships sails until the roof is up.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Not having had a metal shed before, I presume fixing shelving to the walls is out of the question?

How about leaning things like bikes against the walls? Is the whole thing stable enough?

homer911 wrote: »
    Not having had a metal shed before, I presume fixing shelving to the walls is out of the question?

How about leaning things like bikes against the walls? Is the whole thing stable enough?

Free standing shelves are the way to go. Thats what I have and they work great.

I have 2 tons of firewood leaning against one wall, it seems to be holding up ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Jeffaillon

Forget about steel shed. I got a quote from Steel tech. For a little bit more money, I built it with 6' block walls and steel roof. A shed for life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Jeffaillon wrote: »
    Forget about steel shed. I got a quote from Steel tech. For a little bit more money, I built it with 6' block walls and steel roof. A shed for life!!!

Way to go alright

Jeffaillon wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am having a problem with water coming through a block wall. I just finished building a shed a couple of weeks ago. 6' solid block walls, painted with a prime sealer and 2 coats of masonry paint inside and out. The back gable wall is facing west, and living by the sea on the west coast, getting lots of wind and rain. I can feel dampness running along the inside wall after few days of rain, and some water accumulating at the bottom of the wall. The 3 other wall are well dry. I am thinking 2 things:
    - rendering the wall, which I am pretty sure will solve the problem, but I am useless at it, so I will need to pay someone to do it
    - timber cladding the wall with shiplap boards and battens, which I could do myself, but not sure that will suffice to stop heavy rains coming in.

Any suggestion?

Advertisement