Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year Australia

Options
  • 20-07-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Just turned 18 and thinking of a gap year in Australia as I have no Idea what to do in College,I will be looking to work over there(fruit Picking/Farms).I will also be travelling alone.

A few questions,How much would I need?Would I find work easily?Would It be safe enough?
    what regions would be best for farm work?Would I earn enough money to Live comfortably over there?

I will be going on the working holiday visa(for one year),How long does this take visa take to be processed after I apply,Like If I applied today,When would I be able to head out?

thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

Come on,Someone has to have a bit of advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Sticky. Top of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

After you've figured out the WHV also consider traveling in South East Asia.
    It's really cheap, loads of young people do the same backpacker route around Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos so you'll never be stuck for company.
    Lots of people regret not giving more than a few weeks, I spent five months there and spent the same as one month in OZ!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

catbear wrote: »
    After you've figured out the WHV also consider traveling in South East Asia.
    It's really cheap, loads of young people do the same backpacker route around Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos so you'll never be stuck for company.
    Lots of people regret not giving more than a few weeks, I spent five months there and spent the same as one month in OZ!

Best of luck.

This!
    SE Asia has so much to offer in terms of culture and experience. You can get by on €5 a day if you keep outta the tourist traps. Easy and cheap to get around and a much more laid back lifestyle than Oz. A cousin of mine is currently going around India on a motorbike, lived on a beach for three weeks with other crusty backpackers, buying fish from passing fisherman and some firewood. The randomness and carefree attitude exists in places like Asia much more than the Western world. Along with an abundance of unusual customs, religions and foods.

A Gap Year should really be something unique and exciting, spending half of that picking berries in 40 degree heat, so you can earn enough money to stay in some of the most expensive cities in the world in a vast country that's really only 250 years old (albeit with exceptional wildlife).

Australia is the easy option because its a first world country, speaks English and there's plenty of Irish out there. My advice if you really wana "find yourself" then you should get out of your comfort zone. Still see Oz though.

FYI: My WHV was approved online in about 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

This!
    SE Asia has so much to offer in terms of culture and experience. You can get by on €5 a day if you keep outta the tourist traps. Easy and cheap to get around and a much more laid back lifestyle than Oz. A cousin of mine is currently going around India on a motorbike, lived on a beach for three weeks with other crusty backpackers, buying fish from passing fisherman and some firewood. The randomness and carefree attitude exists in places like Asia much more than the Western world. Along with an abundance of unusual customs, religions and foods.

A Gap Year should really be something unique and exciting, spending half of that picking berries in 40 degree heat, so you can earn enough money to stay in some of the most expensive cities in the world in a vast country that's really only 250 years old (albeit with exceptional wildlife).

Australia is the easy option because its a first world country, speaks English and there's plenty of Irish out there. My advice if you really wana "find yourself" then you should get out of your comfort zone. Still see Oz though.

FYI: My WHV was approved online in about 20 minutes.

I would love to travel through Asia,thailand etc but might leave that till the way home,I plan on working while in Australia because hopefully I will have a bit of money saved when I return to college.Although I do agree it is an easy option but thats what I like about It.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

..........the most expensive cities in the world in a vast country that's really only 250 years old (albeit with exceptional wildlife).
    I found the 60,000 year aboriginal habitation of Australia unique amongst all the cultures I've encountered.
    Unlike federation Australians I don't view them as part of the flora and fauna.

Advertisement