Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Job 2015

Options
  • 26-06-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I am 15 years old and have recently finished my Junior Cert and have little to do for the rest of the summer. I am wondering if there is anywhere in Westmeath that are hiring Teens, specifically 15 year old, to work for the summer. I would gladly work in any business as I just want to have a good bit of money come the end of summer. I am available every day and don't have anything going on e.g Holidays. Any additional information will be provided through private message!
    I will appreciate all replies and Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

Fair play to ye. Hope you got a job, but if u didn't don't blame yerslf. My son is 17 and he got nothing after trying hotels,pubs and shops. Was told he he had to be 18. Enjoy yr free time, make the most it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Even voluntary work if you're looking for something to do. There's Athlone Tidy Towns and Monksland Tidy Towns. With the weather going to somewhat conducive to a bit of outdoor work, they may be a bit more Active.

You could also try Athlone Community Radio. All of which would look good on a CV later on down the road.

Trying to find work at this time of year will be hard as College Students from Athlone will be back, looking for work as well. I would also suggest, if you know of family or friends who need a bit of work done, for example, gardening, painting and so on, I'd go ask around. Could be a bit of extra money for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dizzyme

Jay,
    As a 15 year-old you will find it very difficult to get paid part-time work over the summer unless you personally know someone who is willing to take you on (and you wouldn't be asking on here if you did). I believe the min age for "legally" employing someone is 16. It's very very difficult to get work by cold-calling shops, retailers, etc. as a young person at the moment. Things are picking up and there is a slight pick-up in the summer months (increase in demand) but its still very difficult. The big hotels are a good bet as well as the large shopping centers but alas "who you know" seems still to be the only way for youngsters to get some work.

Another avenue that you could try (next year) is the summer camps. GAA camps, soccer camps, athletics camps, other sports camps and also a lot of the larger hotels (Hodson Bay for example) run Kids camps during the busier summer months. Baysports also need young people to help them, if you have lifeguard training its a big plus.

A few things I would say to you are. don't be dis-heartened by the lack of responses to your requests looking for work, be it face to face or online. You are not alone, every other young boy/girl gets as many refusals as you do :-)
    If you could get some free-of-charge work, behind a bar, behind a till, anything... it will help in the future. keep positive and keep trying. I was in a position to recruit youngsters for a sports camp last year and although it wasn't a lot, we could offer 150 EUROs a week to young people who were willing to "supervise" groups of kids during the sports camp, and if I had seen your post and we hadn't got our full complement of young leaders, I would have contacted you. Because you showed great initiative and courage in looking on here for opportunities.

Come on folks ! surely there is someone out there that can give jay a few hours/a few days work over the summer ? un-paid for a while and if he is any good, give the young man a few bob. Prove that the boards.ie experience for a young innovative young guy is a good one. Lets get Jay some experience. (no offers of turning turf turned down !)

Jay - We have all been there, what you need is a job and to get a job you need experience, but you can't get experience without a job........ If you can get any sort of experience it will help, don't mind if its not directly related to what you want to end up doing. One thing leads to another and all experience is beneficial.

You know what, there is a reason that we are not in the same boat as Greece, without blowing our own trumpet too loud, we have DO have potential for innovation and growth. See Jays posting above for proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dizzyme

Jay,
    As a 15 year-old you will find it very difficult to get paid part-time work over the summer unless you personally know someone who is willing to take you on (and you wouldn't be asking on here if you did). I believe the min age for "legally" employing someone is 16. It's very very difficult to get work by cold-calling shops, retailers, etc. as a young person at the moment. Things are picking up and there is a slight pick-up in the summer months (increase in demand) but its still very difficult. The big hotels are a good bet as well as the large shopping centers but alas "who you know" seems still to be the only way for youngsters to get some work.

Another avenue that you could try (next year) is the summer camps. GAA camps, soccer camps, athletics camps, other sports camps and also a lot of the larger hotels (Hodson Bay for example) run Kids camps during the busier summer months. Baysports also need young people to help them, if you have lifeguard training its a big plus.

A few things I would say to you are. don't be dis-heartened by the lack of responses to your requests looking for work, be it face to face or online. You are not alone, every other young boy/girl gets as many refusals as you do :-)
    If you could get some free-of-charge work, behind a bar, behind a till, anything... it will help in the future. keep positive and keep trying. I was in a position to recruit youngsters for a sports camp last year and although it wasn't a lot, we could offer 150 EUROs a week to young people who were willing to "supervise" groups of kids during the sports camp, and if I had seen your post and we hadn't got our full complement of young leaders, I would have contacted you. Because you showed great initiative and courage in looking on here for opportunities.

Come on folks ! surely there is someone out there that can give jay a few hours/a few days work over the summer ? un-paid for a while and if he is any good, give the young man a few bob. Prove that the boards.ie experience for a young innovative young guy is a good one. Lets get Jay some experience. (no offers of turning turf turned down !)

Jay - We have all been there, what you need is a job and to get a job you need experience, but you can't get experience without a job........ If you can get any sort of experience it will help, don't mind if its not directly related to what you want to end up doing. One thing leads to another and all experience is beneficial.

You know what, there is a reason that we are not in the same boat as Greece, without blowing our own trumpet too loud, we DO have so much potential for innovation and growth. See Jays posting above for proof.

(BEST OF LUCK WITH THE JOB HUNTING JAY)

Advertisement