Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

terrible wifi signal??

Options
  • 23-10-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

hey lads wondring if someone can help with this problem, i have broadband installed from eircom fibre, my speed test says 32meg and i use netflix xbmc and showbox for movies and tv shows but the wifi signal is so bad and its only 2-3 feet from router, i know your going to say driect connect it but i also use a sky now tv box and that is wifi only but it constantly stutters and netflix goes to 480 when playing movies, ive tried turning everything else off incase there is signal interference but no luck, its getting on my nerves now it unusable as far as wifi goes, so if any of you gurus have any suggestions please feel free to reccomend anything.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try changing the wifi channel in your routers configuration page. Would rule out interference caused by neighbors connections

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nikouy

Same isuse here.
    Try changing to 5 ghz band. Makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 duckflyr

If you have a 2nd router create a wireless access point. WAP, and connect cables from there if that is doable in your situation.
    Look up on youtube DD-WRT, wap, wireless access point, wap bridge.

I got a nice expensive Cisco Linksys router router from a thrift store for $3.00 and it was half price day so a $1.50 I believe.
    I flashed DD-WRT to it. I have a perfect wireless signal to a laptop and other devices a considerable distance away.

I you have most any basic 2nd wireless/wired router it should be fairly easy to accomplish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,810 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nikouy wrote: »
    Same isuse here.
    Try changing to 5 ghz band. Makes a huge difference.

situation-dependent. 5Ghz has a shorter effective range than 2.4Ghz but a higher throughput; in an ideal setting, the 5ghz is best for multimedia near the router, 2.4ghz is better for multifunction devices farther away from the base.

Advertisement