Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it trendy to be conservative?

• 26-10-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

People seem to be moving from the more liberal lifestyle to the conservative.
    For instance:

I used to be a renegade, I used to fool around, but couldn't take the lifestyle and decided to settle down
    So now I'm playing it real straight, i even cut my hair
    Some people think the conservative lifestyle to be crazy, but I don't even care, because I think theres no denying that it's the current social trend to be a bit of a square.

I even like 80's bands in business suits, you can still see them on tv
    Now I'm even working out almost everyday and have changed what i eat.
    Supposedly thats whats good for you, but thats not my concern
    I know that it's a crazy change and I know that it probably leads nowhere
    But is it not true that the current trend is to be square

It's not too hard to figure out, you see it everyday, even extreme liberals seem to have gone the other way, you still see some of them on the street, it doesn't look like a lot of fun
    But they dont see that the liberal lifestyle in Ireland seems to be an idea who's time has come.

Is it really crazy, will it lead I'm nowhere.
    As far as I see there is no denying that the current trend is to be conservative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

thats called getting older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ive always thought ian-duncan smith was the height of trendiness:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'll swap you some brown bread for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Whats considered conservative today might have been considered fairly liberal 20 years ago. You're just getting old dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

You just raped Huey Lewis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    You just raped Huey Lewis.

shhhh ffs, i need this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

More of Preservative myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In '87, Huey released this, Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

krudler wrote: »
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In '87, Huey released this, Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Right, so what did you say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Right, so what did you say?

Ignore the pages from the style section on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

rhyme much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One felt for him when he fouled his near-perfect sequence of up-tempo, chart smashes with the more sacharine plodder Stuck With You. I seem to recall the video involved him wooing an histrionic heiress in a canoe which seemed - to my 15 year old mind at least - to be another stylistic faux pas in the then more austere post-Duran pop landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Is it trendy to be conservative?

I so hope so
    For once in my life I would like to with the Zeitgeist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I,, I need to return some videotapes??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I used to be liberal, now I'm conservative. But having become more conservative I realise I never was liberal, I was just a bit of an idiot in school and the early years of college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

4leto wrote: »
    Zeitgeist.

I can picture you making imaginary quote marks around this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

FatherLen wrote: »
    rhyme much?

that's exactly what i was thinking aswel, i read the OP like they were trying to form some sort of poetry, but it just wasn't coming together... :rolleyes:

xsiborg wrote: »
    that's exactly what i was thinking aswel, i read the OP like they were trying to form some sort of poetry, but it just wasn't coming together... :rolleyes:

Its almost like he was trying to be hip to be square, try harder OP!

krudler wrote: »
    Its almost like he was trying to be hip to be square, try harder OP!

This type of thread is a work of art, to appreciate it you must have the refined taste of an artist.
    And I stress the word 'artist'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Lavezzi

I spat out my drink and started panting heavily in a combination of rage and confusion when I read the title. I calmed down when I realized it was sarcastic.

Being liberal or conservative is no longer really a choice in Ireland. People just turn on their TV and have the choice be made for them. And it's not too hard to figure out which choice that is, I'll give you a hint, the people on this particular forum demonstrate it in every word they write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

whubee wrote: »
    This type of thread is a work of art, to appreciate it you must have the refined taste of an artist.
    And I stress the word 'artist'.

*cough* government artist *cough* :eek:

reference to "american psycho" in OP's edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think there is a rise in cynicism and a rejection of the idealism that brought about so much positive change in the last half century.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

My thread ... it was an attempt at humor...I JUST HAD TO ANNOY A LOT OF PEOPLE!!.
    I guess ... i guess im a pretty sick guy.

But even after admitting this there is no catharsis, the moderators punishment continues to elude me, and I gain no deeper knowledge of why I even started this thread, I gain no further giggles, this confession has meant ..nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I think there is a rise in cynicism and a rejection of the idealism that brought about so much positive change in the last half century.

Yawn

Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you stupid fcuking bastard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wont rest until pedophiles and kids have the right to civil partnership.

Advertisement