Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding or snow?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Which do you find more annoying in regards travelling to work, etc...

would you rather be hit by a bus or a lorry?

i live in the west, in 2009 we seen the biggest floods in living memory, followed by the first "big freeze". In some places, the flood water had not retreated, and some roads were covered by first a foot of water, then a foot of ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What about a flood of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Snow. Definitely snow! Someone from another country would actually piss themselves laughing at such a question. You can prepare for snow and do things to get rid of it when it comes - just look at the rest of Europe for living proof. Can't do very much about floods when they come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Well I'm living in an area that doesn't flood so I'm going to say Snow/Ice is more annoying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I suppose snow, it doesn't come into your house and fuck your shit up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I would rather flooding over snow any day!

Flooding goes away after a while, snow takes weeks if not months and impacts to ice.

I work with horses too so the snow makes it pretty much impossible for me to do anything with them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I work with horses too so the snow makes it pretty much impossible for me to do anything with them

Racehorses?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LandL84

I prefer snow, because it's always possible to deal with that easily, if you look at other countries where blankets of snow and ice last the whole winter 3 or 4 months every year and noone is really bothered. Floods have that destructive power and you just can't stop it or do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I would rather flooding over snow any day!

Flooding goes away after a while, snow takes weeks if not months and impacts to ice.

Are horses good swimmers then ?

I would have thought horses would love the snow. Like dogs. Dogs go feckin apesh1t in snow. Its like all their Christmases came at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Oh god flooding. I live on a steep hill and fell three times last year :( Also, the ice killed five people. The flooding killed two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I much prefer flooding. I understand it wrecks peoples houses and businesses but where I live NEVER ever floods and the busses are not affected except by delays (trains are though because of other stations). Snow though was very deep here last few years, and had numerous disastrous bus journeys etc and got stranded a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fbjm wrote: »
    Oh god flooding. I live on a steep hill and fell three times last year :( Also, the ice killed five people. The flooding killed two.

The Ice lasted three weeks and affected everywhere, floods lasted a day and affected most of Leinster. That's 14 deaths per week vis 1.5 per week. If you wanted to be pedantic, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    What about a flood of snow?

600+ posts and your not reading the first post :rolleyes: really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Bought a car for €500

Lady crashed into it during snow.

Insurance pay me €1500 happy days :D

Buy new car for €1800

Will Santa bring me a new car? We shall see:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Only takes a quite slash to make yellow snow...

How do you expect me to make a yellow flood and convince kids to cosume it ?

kfallon wrote: »
    Racehorses?

Show jumpers, my girl is a dressage horse.

Are horses good swimmers then ?

I would have thought horses would love the snow. Like dogs. Dogs go feckin apesh1t in snow. Its like all their Christmases came at once.

Most horses are terrified of water.

They're hooves have no grip on snow/ice and if they have metal shoes on snow can get impacted in the foot causing all sorts of medical problems.

We could get studs put into the shoes - like football studs - but honestly the price is way too much and not worth it when the grounds like an ice rinc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's like a choice between having the sh1ts and vomitting isn't it?
    Neither please.
    I really hate snow so I'd do anything to avoid having to deal with it. Small amounts are ok but the crap we got last year was ridiculous, never again if possible.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

They're both awful - flooding and snow can kill. Flooding only mildly inconvenienced me for a half-day though, but snow seriously affected me for weeks last winter, so snow's a bigger pain if it's ongoing and we don't have the ability to deal with it as a nation.

That said I love winter and I adore snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I choose snow.

At least with snow there's some excuse for all the bad driving.

Was stuck on Perase St for an hour on Monday - I mean for feck sake, it's only rain!
    It's Ireland - we should be used to driving in rain - we should be one of the best nationalites on the planet at driving in the rain.

But we're not - we're actually one of the worst!

and yes - I'm still angry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I choose snow.

At least with snow there's some excuse for all the bad driving.

Was stuck on Perase St for an hour on Monday - I mean for feck sake, it's only rain!
    It's Ireland - we should be used to driving in rain - we should be one of the best nationalites on the planet at driving in the rain.

But we're not - we're actually one of the worst!

and yes - I'm still angry!

To be fair we are pretty bad at driving in sunny weather too.

Advertisement