Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flooding or snow?

• 25-10-2011 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭

Which do you find more annoying in regards travelling to work, etc...

And does anyone think we'll get flooding instead if snow this winter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

And does anyone think we'll get flooding instead if snow this winter?

Much prefer snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Flooding! I hate the fooking snow! Cost me a fortune last year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

But mass flooding can destroy cars and homes, whereas snow was pretty much just very slow driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You do realise that it falls from the sky and is free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

El Weirdo wrote: »

Must be yer man off that ad last Christmas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

El Weirdo wrote: »

Wait untill they install the snow meters and then you will have to pay for all the snow you use

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Snow, definitely. Had an excellent snowfight with some of the young skobies around my house last year. All that remains is to get some of those grippy shoe attachments and I'm sorted. Judging by the (possible) fatalities the flooding has caused, I'll take snow any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Flooding, I live on a hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

In terms of travelling to work...
    Flooding and snow will both cause you hassle.
    Snow could tip the scale in that more places and public transport are likely to close down. As snow effects all. Rather than floodable areas.

But in terms of everything else, i'd rather have heavy snow than flooding.
    There could be six foot of snow outside. Isnt going to destory anything in my house. But flooding will.

So gimme snow over flood any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It depends where you live really.

If we get snow again like last year i'd be fooked for a few days until the road is cleared as i live in a valley. There was a lot of rain down here today and yesterday but it just ran down the hill.

I really hope it doesn't snow until the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I'd prefer the snow, if I had to pick one.

Probaly won't get a huge amount of flooding this winter - the "experts" say that we will artic conditions though.......

super-rush wrote: »
    It depends where you live really.

If we get snow again like last year i'd be fooked for a few days until the road is cleared as i live in a valley. There was a lot of rain down here today and yesterday but it just ran down the hill.

I really hope it doesn't snow until the new year.
    Now there's just the small matter of the free money :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The snow hung around for a long time in the form of slush, the melting of which caused some flooding, for that reason I vote snow.

In terms of the pros, which is better: making snowmen or making a raft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

LighterGuy wrote: »
    There could be six foot of snow outside. Isnt going to destory anything in my house. But flooding will.

So gimme snow over flood any day.
    that much snow would make your roof cave in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I keep telling people that Bollock is minding it.

Last seen swimming towards Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Snow can lead to flooding you know.

But practically -its realtively easy for me to adapt to snow - ski jacket, hiking boots and i'm set. i can even put winter tyres on my car rather easily.

Comparatively speakin flooding is a pain in the ass. Wet suits are not considered acceptable attire to show up at work in, and fitting my car with an outboard motor, rudder and waterproofing is a royal pain in the ass - and fecks me warranty - and insurance consider it an illegal mod :mad:

super-rush wrote: »

I keep telling people that Bollock is minding it.

Last seen swimming towards Dundrum.
    Ah balls, not paid till friday, could have used it to keep me ticking over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Rather snow than floods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But mass flooding can destroy cars and homes
    Flooding destroys houses. Snow kills anyone who can't afford heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Both equally as bad for travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

a heavy thaw is the worst IMO

and I believe this will be the warmest sunniest winter on record for no other reason than I am a contrary so and so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Judging by the pictures and videos going around, flooding seems to be a lot more problematic for the areas it affects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Neither is good for me. If it snows, then I'll slip on my way to college, 15-20 minute walk down one big hill.

And if it floods, the building 95% of my lectures are in, will get completely flooded and ruin everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Snow. It's at least nice to look at. I'm afraid the same can't be said for massive puddles of brown rat-infested canal water. Plus you can have snowball fights with snow. Picking up water and trying to throw it might be funny to watch but it doesn't have the same accuracy, y'know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Neither really bothers me, I just float above them in my gold trimmed blimp and laugh at the little people below.

A strong wind on the other hand, now that's a serious problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Flooding is definitely the worst. I can cope with snow. Snow may mess up public transport and close roads but at least you can walk in snow. Snow has its advantages too... it's a great excuse to act like a kid again. I had great time last christmas with my mates and neighbours throwing snowballs, building snowmen and naughty stuff with the snow. :P

Whereas with flooding, people run the risk of accidently drowning, if your house or business floods it can cost thousands of euros worth of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

There is no enjoyment to be had from floods, but in fairness, a bit to be had with snow. Also, it doesn't destroy homes and you can throw it at little scrotes!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

IS it going to start snowing again?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Much prefer the snow. Last year it didn't stop me doing anything, could walk to work, take the dogs for walks, make snow angels when the urge took me, got to wear loads of layers and pretend I was a yeti. All good :D

I hate rain. Everything is damp and not in a good way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Snow melts...We could get snow AND floods!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

would you rather be hit by a bus or a lorry?

i live in the west, in 2009 we seen the biggest floods in living memory, followed by the first "big freeze". In some places, the flood water had not retreated, and some roads were covered by first a foot of water, then a foot of ice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What about a flood of snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Snow. Definitely snow! Someone from another country would actually piss themselves laughing at such a question. You can prepare for snow and do things to get rid of it when it comes - just look at the rest of Europe for living proof. Can't do very much about floods when they come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Well I'm living in an area that doesn't flood so I'm going to say Snow/Ice is more annoying to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I suppose snow, it doesn't come into your house and fuck your shit up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I would rather flooding over snow any day!

Flooding goes away after a while, snow takes weeks if not months and impacts to ice.

I work with horses too so the snow makes it pretty much impossible for me to do anything with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I work with horses too so the snow makes it pretty much impossible for me to do anything with them

Racehorses?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LandL84

I prefer snow, because it's always possible to deal with that easily, if you look at other countries where blankets of snow and ice last the whole winter 3 or 4 months every year and noone is really bothered. Floods have that destructive power and you just can't stop it or do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I would rather flooding over snow any day!

Flooding goes away after a while, snow takes weeks if not months and impacts to ice.

Are horses good swimmers then ?

I would have thought horses would love the snow. Like dogs. Dogs go feckin apesh1t in snow. Its like all their Christmases came at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Oh god flooding. I live on a steep hill and fell three times last year :( Also, the ice killed five people. The flooding killed two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I much prefer flooding. I understand it wrecks peoples houses and businesses but where I live NEVER ever floods and the busses are not affected except by delays (trains are though because of other stations). Snow though was very deep here last few years, and had numerous disastrous bus journeys etc and got stranded a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fbjm wrote: »
    Oh god flooding. I live on a steep hill and fell three times last year :( Also, the ice killed five people. The flooding killed two.

The Ice lasted three weeks and affected everywhere, floods lasted a day and affected most of Leinster. That's 14 deaths per week vis 1.5 per week. If you wanted to be pedantic, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    What about a flood of snow?

600+ posts and your not reading the first post :rolleyes: really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Bought a car for €500

Lady crashed into it during snow.

Insurance pay me €1500 happy days :D

Buy new car for €1800

Will Santa bring me a new car? We shall see:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Only takes a quite slash to make yellow snow...

How do you expect me to make a yellow flood and convince kids to cosume it ?

kfallon wrote: »
    Racehorses?

Show jumpers, my girl is a dressage horse.

Are horses good swimmers then ?

I would have thought horses would love the snow. Like dogs. Dogs go feckin apesh1t in snow. Its like all their Christmases came at once.

Most horses are terrified of water.

They're hooves have no grip on snow/ice and if they have metal shoes on snow can get impacted in the foot causing all sorts of medical problems.

We could get studs put into the shoes - like football studs - but honestly the price is way too much and not worth it when the grounds like an ice rinc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's like a choice between having the sh1ts and vomitting isn't it?
    Neither please.
    I really hate snow so I'd do anything to avoid having to deal with it. Small amounts are ok but the crap we got last year was ridiculous, never again if possible.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

They're both awful - flooding and snow can kill. Flooding only mildly inconvenienced me for a half-day though, but snow seriously affected me for weeks last winter, so snow's a bigger pain if it's ongoing and we don't have the ability to deal with it as a nation.

That said I love winter and I adore snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I choose snow.

At least with snow there's some excuse for all the bad driving.

Was stuck on Perase St for an hour on Monday - I mean for feck sake, it's only rain!
    It's Ireland - we should be used to driving in rain - we should be one of the best nationalites on the planet at driving in the rain.

But we're not - we're actually one of the worst!

and yes - I'm still angry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement