Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Not Working

Options
  • 24-10-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

business account with eircom

called their tech and they can't seem to fix this issue

we have broadband with eircom and a wifi modem , the broadband works great connected to the pc

but no matter what tablet or phone i use , we can't get the wifi to work , they have sent out 2 new modems etc , and all the signs on their end is that its working fine , says connected , strong signal etc , logged into router itself and done restarts and resets to default etc , all with no joy

now we get wifi at times but very intermitent , and eircom are saying its not an issue their end

any ideas how to fix this annoying problem ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

now we get wifi at times but very intermittent , and eircom are saying its not an issue their end

So you are successfully connected to the wifi but at times it doesn't work. Can you define doesn't work? Eg, sites are slow to load, or simply nothing works.

Can you describe exactly how everything is connected? I'm pretty sure I know what this is.

Eg,
    Phone line --> Eircom Z1000 phone port.
    Eircom Z1000 --> Lan cable --> PC
    Eircom Z1000 --> Lan cable --> Older Eircom modem
    Eircom Z1000 --> Lan cable --> TV
    Eircom Z1000 --> Lan cable --> Homeplug

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

we have broadband with eircom and a wifi modem , the broadband works great

Anybody else note the irony here? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 duckflyr

Could try a different channel, like US channels are generally 1-11, by default it is 6. So change 6 to 11, respectively, to what channel is different from the default on your router.

Look at other SSIDs around you and the channels they have, just choose a few channels higher or than the default router is generally fine.

Use the same settings on wireless devices. Make sure the SSID is the same for both as well as the password. Use wpa2 wireless encryption
    with PSK.

Some wireless devices will pick up the stronger signal so if a neighbor has the same channel it could be overlapping yours. Rebuild from scratch the wireless device settings on the router and wireless devices.

Could possible be wireless stuff by the router messing things up. Like wireless phone bases.

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody else note the irony here? :P

Its not irony. Two routers on the same switched network, two DHCP servers. Intermittent internet due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Its not irony. Two routers on the same switched network, two DHCP servers. Intermittent internet due to this.

Look at the op's name and re-read.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Look at the op's name and re-read.

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Modem connected to pc , no other electrical equipment around it , the broadband is great , just it wont work wirelessly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Can you use a phone or laptop to scan the wireless networks around you?
    InSSIDer is a great windows tool for this.

It's most likely due to some interference.

Eircom don't provide you with wifi. ..They're responsibility ends as long as you have a broadband connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 duckflyr

I had a modem that the wireless did not work well. The problem was the output of the wireless. You can try connecting a 2nd router wired to a port of the working router and use that 2nd as a wireless access point. Can even use different SSID and password if you like for your devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

duckflyr wrote: »
    I had a modem that the wireless did not work well. The problem was the output of the wireless. You can try connecting a 2nd router wired to a port of the working router and use that 2nd as a wireless access point. Can even use different SSID and password if you like for your devices.

You could also use most other provider's routers on eircom as long as you connect with eircom's credentials... How to...

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8VCI: 35
    Primary DNS: 159.134.0.1
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.0.2

Have Eircom sent you out a replacement router?

The reason I ask is that I've had many customers who have had wifi problems with Eircom routers. When they were replaced, they were fine.

If you know anyone locally with an eircom router, you could try it in your house...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

business account with eircom

called their tech and they can't seem to fix this issue

we have broadband with eircom and a wifi modem , the broadband works great connected to the pc

but no matter what tablet or phone i use , we can't get the wifi to work , they have sent out 2 new modems etc , and all the signs on their end is that its working fine , says connected , strong signal etc , logged into router itself and done restarts and resets to default etc , all with no joy

now we get wifi at times but very intermitent , and eircom are saying its not an issue their end

any ideas how to fix this annoying problem ???

Could you tell me the make of the router that you are using?

Can you log into that router via a web browser using 192.168.1.254. in the address bar of the browser. You will need to have a username default is admin and a password its possible that was changed if it is a business account.

Once you can log in, go to network settings and wireless, and pleas provide the following info:

Wireless Network Setup

Band:
    Channel

Security Level
    Particularly the security mode, it will say something like:
    WPA-PSK
    WPA2-PSK
    WPA
    WPA2
    Please let me know which one it is.

Can you tell me if MAC authentication has been enabled?
    if there is something under the MAC address List let me know.

If on your router you have a OTHER tab, under that tab should be:
    Wireless Advanced Setup

Please let me know the 802.11 Mode :

The model of your Eircom outer would help along with the above info if you can provide it.

Advertisement