Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People caring about who the next President will be

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    What's the point of doing that? Aren't they all deaf?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, only partially deaf. Tinnitus, mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

foxyboxer wrote: »
    What exactly does the President do that a minister can't do?

Meet foreign dignitaries? Minister for Foreign Affairs.
    Turn a Sod? Minister for Agriculture.
    Kiss Babies? Minister for Children.
    Create Employment? Department of Jobs, Enterpriseand Innovation, Minister for Enterprise Trade and Employment.

And what's the story with all the debates? The US only have 3 debates normally. Whereas we have had 5 FFS.
    I guess, the whole thing fills the news and papers. When it's all over it's back to saving the euro etc etc.

And who did the U.S.A vote in twice, George W Bush.
    I would like to see more TV debates, after a while they start to
    Show their true colours, like losing their composure, temper, knowledge
    The more they are on TV debates, the more we can see what they
    Are made of.
    And what I have seen so far, is that martin MG
    Is the only true statesman up there.
    He not cosy with the bankers, political elite who watch out only
    For them selves, He will take a 80% haircut on the presidental wage.
    All other candidates want their 250,000 euro a year.
    All other candidates have ducked the question of pay.
    All the other candidates are afraid to rock the rotten political landscape.
    And if there was a country that needed to be rocked, it`s Ireland.
    Martin McGuinness is the only one there that can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

All the other candidates are afraid to rock the rotten political landscape.

The bold Martin rocked plenty of landscapes in his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

Saila wrote: »
    just let the current one keep it for another term, I know shes had her time but she did a grand job :)

a grand job? her only real job is to make sure laws passed in the Dáil are in line with the constitution and she couldn't even do that. Allowing the banks to be bailed out = against the constitution as it is paying back private debt
    she should've done her job and refused to to sign the banking bill into law, she didn't even refer it to the supreme court for **** sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I care op, Paddy Power will pay for my xmas shopping if my chosen candidate wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Has anyone realised yet that it doesn't MATTER who the next president will be?

All they have to do is meet the odd foreign dignitary, go to GAA games, turn a sod, cut a ribbon, meet old people and kiss babies.
    THAT'S IT!

So it doesn't make a blind bit of difference who gets in. The president does what they're told, end of. Any decision they make has to be approved by the government, any real work* is done by the Taoiseach and ministers.

It's purely a symbolic office, the same as the monarchy in England, so to all those saying the Gallagher is going to bring jobs, McGuinness is going to unite Ireland, Norris is going to legalise gay marriage, it's all pure sh1te.

the term 'real work' may not actually refer to real work

Well the president does have the nuclear launch codes so it is a pretty responsible position.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement