Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a scam?

Options
  • 26-10-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Received an email yesterday saying:

Hi am interested in your sale, let me your best price so i can make an offer because i'm buying in large quantity...
    Email me back to:george.roy57@yahoo.com....so that we can discuss...
    GEORGE ROY.

I replied saying "oh the laptop"

So he sent back:

Yes, get me four of the laptops and make a calculation of them all.
    I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work as a contractor that might not be possible as am on a contract work at the moment under some months and this takes all my time...My form of payment be through PayPal is very safe and secure, and it is an instant payment and you will have the full money with no charges, most store online use PayPal as well cos they both protect seller and buyer and you will have the full payment before pick up is made,is well very easy just sign-up now for an account and once payment has been completed, PayPal will send you confirmation receipt for the payment confirmed receipt on direction for withdrawal.. Is very straight ...I will be responsible for the pick-up by my shipping agent so they will do all paper works and collection so that wont be a problem for you..So let me hear from you soon with your PayPal email so that i can proceed to the payment and Pick up can be made....
    Thanks.GEORGE ROY

I gave him my paypal email and said the price would be €4500

Obviously it is a scam but i'm a bit surprised that he wants to do this through paypal, How will this pan out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

darokane wrote: »
    GEORGE ROY

You sure it's not Boy George?

Next move, he'll offer cash on delivery and chain you to his home heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

"I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work as a contractor that might not be possible as am on a contract work at the moment under some months and this takes all my time..."

Who talks/writes like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

You sure it's not Boy George?

Next move, he'll offer cash on delivery and chain you to his home heating.

I reckon he'll ask can he send me a cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

foxyboxer wrote: »
    "I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work as a contractor that might not be possible as am on a contract work at the moment under some months and this takes all my time..."

Ironically enough, a chap called Honesty Obasamanjo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Is very straight OP

Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

foxyboxer wrote: »

Someone whose mother tongue isn't English. Note the "under some months".

Is very straight OP

Go for it.

I'm going to go with this advice as i'm very gullible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 d1992

If you have to ask if its a scam,its probably a scam.

d1992 wrote: »
    If you have to ask if its a scam,its probably a scam.

Oh i know it's a scam, What i want to know is what people think is going to be this perons next move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

He'll send you some paypal details showing a payment and ask you send the items to his 'shipping agent'.

Maybe you could string him along for a while by suggesting your own shipping agent or by telling him that the goods have been shipped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Yeah its a scam, I can't remember the details, but something about you giving him the details of your paypal acc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ask him can he go fcuk himself...............

If he replies: I am being in dublin soon we can close the deal by hand with cash then it's not a scam.

He'll send you some paypal details showing a payment and ask you send the items to his 'shipping agent'.

Maybe you could string him along for a while by suggesting your own shipping agent or by telling him that the goods have been shipped?

i plan on stringing him along a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Opportunity of a lifetime there!

All he needs is your credit card details - just so he can prove it's you of course, account details and mothers maiden name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

There's a brilliant prank, saw some one post a link to it here sometime, that some guy played on these scamsters

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Long but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

He'll probably want to pay you more than agreed by Paypal, and send him the balance by Western Union etc (uncancellable), then get the PP transaction cancelled.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    There's a brilliant prank, saw some one post a link to it here sometime, that some guy played on these scamsters

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Long but worth it

haha i've read this before and if the opportunity arrises hope to be doing something similar here

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    He'll probably want to pay you more than agreed by Paypal, and send him the balance by Western Union etc (uncancellable), then get the PP transaction cancelled.

If he pays by paypal it will be in my bank account the next day, this is why i'm interested to know what he will do, The option he will have to tick on paypal is that he's paying for goods

I will send him a few pieces of art

Advertisement