Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question re. Dell and Windows XP

Options
  • 29-12-2008 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

I've got a computer that was bought from Dell 3 years ago. I was going to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows XP but it appears that I don't have a disc/never got a disc with the OS on it. Would this be right?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That would more than likely be the case. There may be a recovery partition on the hard drive which you could use to re-install windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Hmm. That rings a bell now that you mention it

Edit: I just found a website that talks about the Restore Partition. Happy days (maybe....)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The cheap bastards have used your expensive HD space to save themselves a few pence on a disc. I would get hold of a disc and wipe the drive clean to free up this dell space. I got ~5GB back on my 100GB laptop.

Also if you do the restore from Dells own partition, then I think it loads back on all the Dell crap which probably slowed your PC down in the first place!

I put a fresh nondell XP on a few mates laptops recently, speeded them up hugely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In fairness to dell they are one of the only ones that include the windows disk as well as a recovery partition with their computers. I think samsung do as well.

Advertisement