Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler - does it heat water?

Options
  • 10-09-2013 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm sure this is a stupid question but I have to ask anyway! I moved into a new house recently and there's a gas boiler and also an immersion. Because it was so warm, the boiler has been switched off since I moved in and I've never even looked at it. I've used the immersion to heat water when I need it (we have an electric shower so that's fine). Now I'm wondering though, is my boiler set up as a water heater too? And is it programable? I'd love to have either constant hot water, like in my last place with a boiler, or hot water at fixed intervals. Without that, I find the kitchen is in a constant mess because I always forget to put the immersion on.

It's a Potterton Suprima 50, I think. There's a timer thing on the wall below it with kind of two faces, all though it looks like you can only set it at one side. I've taken pictures to make it clearer:

FioUa9yl.jpg

efEssVul.jpg

vxkZSBRl.jpg

The control panel is very basic, like this:

suprima-control-panel.jpg

Other boilers I've had came with clear instructions and just having them on meant we had hot water.

I'd appreciate any help with this, silly as it may seem! I don't know when I'll see my landlord again so I thought it was easier to check here first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

I'm sure this is a stupid question but I have to ask anyway! I moved into a new house recently and there's a gas boiler and also an immersion. Because it was so warm, the boiler has been switched off since I moved in and I've never even looked at it. I've used the immersion to heat water when I need it (we have an electric shower so that's fine). Now I'm wondering though, is my boiler set up as a water heater too? And is it programable? I'd love to have either constant hot water, like in my last place with a boiler, or hot water at fixed intervals. Without that, I find the kitchen is in a constant mess because I always forget to put the immersion on.

It's a Potterton Suprima 50, I think. There's a timer thing on the wall below it with kind of two faces, all though it looks like you can only set it at one side. I've taken pictures to make it clearer:

FioUa9yl.jpg

efEssVul.jpg

vxkZSBRl.jpg

The control panel is very basic, like this:

suprima-control-panel.jpg

Other boilers I've had came with clear instructions and just having them on meant we had hot water.

I'd appreciate any help with this, silly as it may seem! I don't know when I'll see my landlord again so I thought it was easier to check here first.

Simple answer No. It will heat rads and hot water at the same time.
    Standard time clock used so you just have on/off/timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 blackraspberry

Thank you for such a quick reply! So when the heating is on, the water will be hot at the same time, but when the heating is off, I should just use the immersion?

Thank you for such a quick reply! So when the heating is on, the water will be hot at the same time, but when the heating is off, I should just use the immersion?

Correct, I use one of those time clocks on the immersion for use during the summer. You can set it up to come on early in the morning if you want water when you get up, instead of have the immersion on all night.

Just to be sure is there any room stats fitted in the house?

By 'stats', I assume you mean thermostats? There's nothing, no.

By 'stats', I assume you mean thermostats? There's nothing, no.

Ok, it's fitted as my earlier post. Tip: get a time clock fitted on your immersion if you are not planning a central heating up grade.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

It's a Potterton Suprima 50.

You'll be needing a pcb soon :D

Advertisement